What makes a good username?

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
b_b_c_m_i_c_r_o_2

What makes a good username?

Post by b_b_c_m_i_c_r_o_2 »

I've been thinking about changing my username as b_b_c_m_i_c_r_o_2 is a bit long winded. I thought of "Felix" as in Felix in the Factory etc, etc... but not sure about that either so wondered how you lot decide on your names. Was trying to think of something with a ring to it like "Orlando" and so forth but associated with the actual gaming era...
Dreamland Fantasy

Post by Dreamland Fantasy »

I actually quite liked b_b_c_m_i_c_r_o_2 as a username.

I've been using the handle of Dreamland Fantasy for around 13-15 years now. I can't remember exactly how I came to choose that one, but I went through a period when I was changing my handle every other week.

Kind regards,

Francis.
Dreamland Fantasy Studios
http://www.dfstudios.co.uk
sorvad

Post by sorvad »

Mine was chosen to be hopefully unique on most boards and because of my long time interest in Dr. Who. It was also fairly short. Only been using for about 4 to 5 years. Before that I didn't frequent many forums and used mostly usenet with my real name.
Dreamland Fantasy

You're not the same sorvad from the whomix site are you (not to mention quite a number of other Doctor Who sites/forums)?

For the uninitiated Sorvad is just Davros (creator of the Daleks) spelt backwards.

Kind regards,

Francis.
Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise »

Two things worth bearing in mind:

1) if you can abbreviate it to three letters, that's helpful for entering scores on arcade games/quiz machines that only let you fill initials.

2) aim for something fairly obscure so that you don't end up signing up as Neo298977998976768645453576979797 on every board you come across on the net. :)

Sam.
b_b_c_m_i_c_r_o_2

sorvad wrote:Mine was chosen to be hopefully unique on most boards and because of my long time interest in Dr. Who.
I didn't realise davros<->sorvad :)
b_b_c_m_i_c_r_o_2

sorvad wrote: and used mostly usenet with my real name.
I got caught out using my real name before as my mates started googling me and post stupid replies to my questions. That was way back when on uk.rec.cars.xxx. Also it can be a bit of a pain if you posted something years ago that doesn't reflect your later views.
Dreamland Fantasy

Other things that I think that are important for a username are something that is easy to remember and instantly recognisable (I guess it sort of becomes almost like a brand in this case) and reflects an aspect of yourself or your interests.

Kind regards,

Francis.
Cybershark

Post by Cybershark »

all interesting to know. i never latched onto 'sorvad' until he said about Dr Who :)
keep hoping the man in the bath chair will make a comeback in the new episodes...

i've garnered a few online nicks but this is the longest standing. i'm a big Transformers nut and way back when i was trying to come up with a decent handle that wasn't already taken i just took a look at a shelf i have with a few toys on and picked this guy out from the collection.

i think yours is fine too. just never a fan of all those Spiderman7342732 ids either :lol:
sorvad

Post by sorvad »

Dreamland Fantasy wrote:You're not the same sorvad from the whomix site are you (not to mention quite a number of other Doctor Who sites/forums).
No, Although I love Dr. Who I've looked at one or two forums related to it and sometimes find the contributors a little too intense for me. So not me guv. I do use this nick on quite a few varied forums, all on different topics, none of them Dr. Who related though.
Cybershark wrote:i never latched onto 'sorvad' until he said about Dr Who
Although it's a simple reversal most don't spot it as it sort of sounds right, people often think I'm Russian or something. There's even a town in Denmark called sorvad.
Moist_Mog

Post by Moist_Mog »

Mine's the name I gave myself one night in a chatroom after a beer or four down the student union bar :)

Return to “off-topic”