Bitstik Knob

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
dhoggan

Bitstik Knob

Post by dhoggan »

I've just picked up a Bitstik which is a complete package other than the knob on top of the stick is missing. I know it is a long shot, but can replacements be bought, modern 3D printed or otherwise?
Bitstik.JPG
The weekend project is to disassemble it and give it a good clean! Any tips? I see Lardo had some issues in putting one back together, but nothing on taking apart.

Thanks,

Dave
dhoggan

Re: Bitstik Knob

Post by dhoggan »

Spent some time today cleaning up and testing the BitStik I picked up. All appears to work - using a little analogue port test program I see the the analogue inputs in ADVAL change when moving in X and Y axis as well as when the top is turned, although it appears to get stiffer the more clockwise it is turned. All three buttons work too. So happy!

It looks a lot better more it is cleaned - I'm put the black caps back on once I'm happy there's the right amount of resistance in the X and Y movement.
BitStik - clean.JPG
I found a photo (courtesy of a Lardo Boffin post) of the bit I'm missing. How easy would be be to 3D print the "globe" on top? Would it look any good?
Bitstik knob.JPG
Ukwebb

Post by Ukwebb »

I'm guessing the globe part goes over the knob you have in your own photo.
It may be better 3d printed on a resin printer but I'd be happy to try it on my fdm machine for you, just need some good measurements off that knob stem
Use some digital Vernier calipers not a ruler :)
Last edited by Ukwebb on Sat May 04, 2024 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BBC Bs, Master 128s, Master Compact, and Electrons, and an A3000 with an ARM3 :)

Don’t Panic and Always Carry a Towel
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Ukwebb wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:01 pm I'm guessing the globe part goes over the knob you have in your own photo.
It may be better 3d printed on a resin printer but I'd be happy to try it on my fdm machine for you, just need some good measurements off that knob stem
Use PETG, if you have some - a lot stronger!
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
dhoggan

Post by dhoggan »

Ukwebb wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:01 pm I'm guessing the globe part goes over the knob you have in your own photo.
Use some digital Vernier calipers not a ruler :)
I think I have a cheap air somewhere. Let me find them and see how accurate they are.

Looking at an image search there seem to be a lot without the ball on top so I'm guessing that they were an easy-to-lose part. Also, maybe a bit of a market for replacements one!

Dave
dhoggan

Post by dhoggan »

This is more a request for current BitStik owners but, if you have a BitStik that has the top "globe" is there a chance you could take some measurements?

Ukwebb's offer to try and print one up is wonderful, and I'm aware I've only provided a photo of what it looks like and likely one not best suited for gauging dimensions etc.

Also, it the top globe naked plastic, or is there some kind of coating to make it non-slip?

Any info gratefully accepted!
RobC

Post by RobC »

Pretty sure the knob has a rubbery feel but I'll check when I get home later today.

Happy to take measurements or even send one to UKWebb - I have a spare Apple II Bitstik somewhere in the loft.
Ukwebb

Post by Ukwebb »

RobC wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 12:45 pm Pretty sure the knob has a rubbery feel but I'll check when I get home later today.

Happy to take measurements or even send one to UKWebb - I have a spare Apple II Bitstik somewhere in the loft.

That would be awesome Rob if you could :) thanks
If it is rubbery, then TPU wouldn't be a problem
BBC Bs, Master 128s, Master Compact, and Electrons, and an A3000 with an ARM3 :)

Don’t Panic and Always Carry a Towel
dhoggan

Post by dhoggan »

That would be fantastic.

As for the Apple II... this is what I'm doing right now - learning VisiCalc on the IIe!
Apple2-Visi.JPG
And if you ever want to part with the Apple II version, then I'd be interested - a long term goal is to use the Apple II with the BitStik and the one of the robotic arms available back in the day! Edited to add that the robotic arms are likely the rarest thing on planet Earth!

Edited to add: I'll never be rude about Excel again! Spreadsheets have come a long way in terms of usability since 1979!
dhoggan

Post by dhoggan »

RobC, did you get a chance to look for the BitStik? If it's anything like my loft then that's easier said than done, but even measurements would be useful.

Thanks,

Dave

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”