The Hobbit : Exploring Wilderland in BASIC

development and releases of new/rewritten text adventures
Tosk

Re: The Hobbit : Exploring Wilderland in BASIC : More NPCs!

Post by Tosk »

I've added more NPCs into the mix. I've also coded a function FN_npcinvent, which lists what each NPC is carrying if you are in the same location of at least one NPC. Above is an example of this.

So far we have Thorin,Gandalf,Elrond,the hideous troll,the vicious troll,Smaug,Bard,the butler,the nasty goblin and Gollum.

I think I just have the wood elf, the hideous goblin and the vicious goblin to add- let me know if there are any more! I couldn't find a definitive list of all the NPCs within the Hobbit.

Here's an example of executing the NPC command. It's quite fun to see where NPCs end up. I may include the inventory of each NPC as well as their location.

Next I will be working on doors or other exit types that open and close. Like in the original, you or the NPCs will be capable of opening and closing doors.

Latest code:-

https://bbcmic.ro/#%7B%22v%22%3A1%2C%22 ... %5Cn%22%7D
Acorn BBC Micro Model B 32K - O.S. 1.2 - Basic v2 - Issue 7 motherboard - Opus DDOS DFS, MMFS Solid State Drive, Graphics Extension ROM and Gotek https://retrorendezvous.org/
fuzzel

Re: The Hobbit : Exploring Wilderland in BASIC : More NPCs!

Post by fuzzel »

Tosk wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:16 pm So far we have Thorin,Gandalf,Elrond,the hideous troll,the vicious troll,Smaug,Bard,the butler,the nasty goblin and Gollum.

I think I just have the wood elf, the hideous goblin and the vicious goblin to add- let me know if there are any more! I couldn't find a definitive list of all the NPCs within the Hobbit.
Starting to look really impressive. I like the idea of enhancements to the original game, hopefully you still have lots of room. The NPCs I've found so far are:
Thorin, Gandalf, the pale bulbous eyes (not sure if this is a character as such), Wood elf, Warg, Gollum, Disgusting goblin, Hideous goblin, Mean goblin, Horrible goblin, Nasty goblin, Vicious goblin, Red golden dragon, Hideous troll, Vicious troll, Bard

Do you have a list of objects?
Tosk

Re: The Hobbit : Exploring Wilderland in BASIC

Post by Tosk »

fuzzel wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:39 pm Do you have a list of objects?

Yup - I could do with a list of objects if you have that. Again I haven't found a definitive list as yet on the web.

I'm planning to introduce a relatively simple game element, where the player has to collect ALL the objects across the map and deposit them all in the chest back in the Comfortable Tunnel-like Hall. This will be a challenge since a certain number of the NPCs will be wandering around randomly picking up objects as well, forcing you to "stalk" them until they drop the objects.

I've also introduced a SCORE command that lets you know how much of Wilderland you've explored so far as a percentage.
Acorn BBC Micro Model B 32K - O.S. 1.2 - Basic v2 - Issue 7 motherboard - Opus DDOS DFS, MMFS Solid State Drive, Graphics Extension ROM and Gotek https://retrorendezvous.org/
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

Tosk wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:01 pm
fuzzel wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:39 pm Do you have a list of objects?
Yup - I could do with a list of objects if you have that. Again I haven't found a definitive list as yet on the web.
I forgot about the Butler and Elrond.
As far as objects go:
curious map, large key, short sword, rope, golden key, food, curious key, some wine, red key, valuable treasure, ring, bow, strong arrow (PORTABLES)
wooden chest, wooden boat (in 2 locations), heavy curtain, a wall, large cupboard, sand, trap door / broken door, goblins cache, barrel (NON-PORTABLES)
I'm also curious about there being a couple of torches in other versions of The Hobbit. Perhaps it would be worth adding them to this version if possible.
EDIT: There's possibly also a quiver containing the arrow carried by Bard in other versions (according to the CASA solution).
Tosk

Post by Tosk »

"I forgot about the Butler and Elrond.
As far as objects go:
curious map, large key, short sword, rope, golden key, food, curious key, some wine, red key, valuable treasure, ring, bow, strong arrow (PORTABLES)
wooden chest, wooden boat (in 2 locations), heavy curtain, a wall, large cupboard, sand, trap door / broken door, goblins cache, barrel (NON-PORTABLES)
I'm also curious about there being a couple of torches in other versions of The Hobbit. Perhaps it would be worth adding them to this version if possible.
EDIT: There's possibly also a quiver containing the arrow carried by Bard in other versions (according to the CASA solution)."

Thanks Fuzzel - I'm starting to add these objects and NPCs in this evening to the game and now noticing a slow-down in the game loop(!), with all the extra NPCs being calculated. So will look at some optimisation.
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

I've just been looking at the movement of the vicious goblin to get an idea of whether NPCs roam randomly in the game (Thorin, Elrond, Bard and the Butler are special cases). In his case he doesn't, he follows a set route and then repeats it: NW,N,SW,U,Pause then repeat. This is only interrupted to attack you or imprison you. You might want to incorporate this into your own program. I'll have a look at some of the other characters' movements shortly.
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

I've been following the horrible goblin this morning and he has a different remit to the vicious goblin above. He has the freedom to explore the goblins' dungeon area as a whole and apart from rooms with only one exit he doesn't appear to retrace his steps. He's also rather keen on a fight, never choosing to imprison you. Also, he only moves every other go. Thinking about it the vicious goblin seems to prefer the imprisonment option. I'll check out another goblin today to see what its modus operandi is.

Return to “new projects and releases: text and graphic adventures”