2024 Econet LAN party: Charity Auction

listings of other non-ABug events, proposals relating to unconfirmed events and general event chat
Vee

2024 Econet LAN party: Charity Auction

Post by Vee »

I'd like to announce that there will be a Retro Charity Auction at the LAN Party on the Saturday (18th May) approx 2:30pm !

There will be much interesting stuff for sale - like a BBC Micro, an A3000 and an A410/1 series!
Other items include a Cub monitor!

More item details closer to the date!

To all those who can't make it to the LAN Party, we'll also be taking sealed bids (via PM), so you can still take part.

[Being cheeky :D if you'd like to donate an item to the auction, please drop me a PM!]
Ragster

Re: 2024 Econet LAN party: Charity Auction

Post by Ragster »

:o

Gosh.

Best not tell my wife that... she might restrict the budget.
IanS

Post by IanS »

Any more detail on items yet?

How can we make payments, or is it cash only?
Issue7

Post by Issue7 »

I have updated the list - enjoy. Most of these items are untested, although we will be happy to try them out on the day. They have no warranty. There may be a reserve on some items. Proceeds from the sale will go to The National Museum of Computing.

If you can't come and would like to bid on an item, please send me a PM with the title "bid for lot xx". This will be via a single 'sealed bid' process. I will put these messages aside and will look at them from 2.00 pm on Saturday 18th - i.e. just before the auction. If your bid is more than the room, then it will be yours. We can make arrangements for payment and collection etc later on. If your payment is not taken within a week of the sale, then we will put it back in the for sale pool.

Complete computers and IT spares left with the museum
These have never been accepted onto formal museum stock. The museum already has examples of these types of machines, and feel it would be better in the hands of an enthusiast.
Lot no Description
1a Eizo 4x3 LCD display, 17 inch size, VGA input
1b Eizo 4x3 LCD display, 17 inch size, VGA input
1c Eizo 4x3 LCD display, 17 inch size, VGA input
1d Eizo 4x3 LCD display, 17 inch size, VGA input
1e Eizo 4x3 LCD display, 17 inch size, VGA input
1f Eizo 4x3 LCD display, 17 inch size, VGA input
1g Eizo 4x3 LCD display, 17 inch size, VGA input
1h Eizo 4x3 LCD display, 17 inch size, VGA input
1i Eizo 4x3 LCD display, 17 inch size, VGA input
1j Eizo 4x3 LCD display, 17 inch size, VGA input
Lot 01-10 a (Large).jpg
2 Apricot keyboard - PC style?. No Win95 keys.
3 Acorn Risc PC keyboard. No win 95 keys
Lot 03 (Large).jpg
4 Unbranded PC keyboard, large DIN plug and win 95 keys
5 Dell PC keyboard, mini DIN plug (PS/2) and win 95 keys
6 Curvy 3 button mouse, likely to be for PC with a mini-DIN PS/2 plug
7 Two button Microsoft mouse with 9-pin D plug for PC serial port
8 Acorn A5000 Empty case with power supply. No lid
Lot 08a (Large).jpg
9 Acorn A5000. Marked 2Mb, issue 2. Motherboard showing signs of corrosion. No backplane, podule covers or discs.
Lot 09b (Large).jpg
10 Acorn A410/1
Lot 10 (Large).jpg
11 Acorn A5000. Motherboard showing signs of corrosion. No discs.
Lot 11a (Large).jpg
12 RiscPC 600. Fitted with RISC OS 3.5. Single-deck case. Hard disc and floppy present.
Lot 12a (Large).jpg
Lot 12c (Large).jpg
13 Acorn A5000 Empty case with power supply.
Lot 13c (Large).jpg
14 Risc PC lid
Lot 14 (Large).jpg
Listing continues on a later post

Payment
We can accept cash, cheques payable to "The National Museum of Computing" and we will be able to accept major credit and debit cards via the TNMoC ticket desk. We would also like it if you could complete a gift aid form, but this will be completely optional.

Tom
TNMoC Acorn Curator
PS - 10 attachments is the limit!
(Edited: 1 - credit card arrangements clarified. 2 - full listing and photos added)
Last edited by Issue7 on Wed May 15, 2024 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winston

Post by Winston »

If you don't mind, for the Bring and Buy if someone has one to sell -- WANTED: Econet kit for BBC Model B.
Issue7

Post by Issue7 »

List continued from above
Most of these items are untested, although we will be happy to try them out on the day. They have no warranty. There may be a reserve on some items. Proceeds from the sale will go to The National Museum of Computing.

If you can't come and would like to bid on an item, please send me a PM with the title "bid for lot xx". This will be via a single 'sealed bid' process. I will put these messages aside and will look at them from 2.00 pm on Saturday 18th - i.e. just before the auction. If your bid is more than the room, then it will be yours. We can make arrangements for payment and collection etc later on. If your payment is not taken within a week of the sale, then we will put it back in the for sale pool.

These have never been accepted onto formal museum stock. The museum already has examples of these types of machines, and feel it would be better in the hands of an enthusiast.
Lot no Description
15 TBA
16 Acorn A3010 motherboard, issue 1, 1Mb
Lot 16b (Large).jpg
17 Acorn A3010 motherboard, probably issue 2, 1Mb
Lot 17 (Large).jpg
18 Acorn A5000 issue 2 motherboard showing signs of corrosion.
Lot 18a (Large).jpg
Lot 18c (Large).jpg
19 Acorn A400/1 issue 3 motherboard with 1 or 2 Mb. OS ROMs missing
Lot 19a (Large).jpg
20 WITHDRAWN FROM SALE
21 Acorn A400/1 issue 3 motherboard with a full set of memory chips (4Mb?)
Lot 21 (Large).jpg
22 Acorn A5000 issue 2 motherboard showing signs of corrosion.
Lot 22a (Large).jpg
Payment
We can accept cash, cheques payable to "The National Museum of Computing" and we will be able to accept major credit and debit cards via the TNMoC ticket desk. We would also like it if you could complete a gift aid form, but this will be completely optional.

Tom
TNMoC Acorn Curator
Edit - Item 20 withdrawn from sale
Attachments
Lot 20a (Large).jpg
Last edited by Issue7 on Wed May 15, 2024 10:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Issue7

Post by Issue7 »

List continued from aboveMost of these items are untested, although we will be happy to try them out on the day. They have no warranty. There may be a reserve on some items. Proceeds from the sale will go to The National Museum of Computing.

Lot no Description
23 "Looks like an addon board for the Sinclair QL, Disk and RAM perhaps as there are RAM chips on it." - thanks Phil
Lot 23a (Large).jpg
Lot 23b (Large).jpg
24 Acorn A5000 issue 1 motherboard with 2M and showing signs of corrosion. Early board with multiple PLA devices.
Lot 24a (Large).jpg
25 Cumana/TEC 40 Track single sided disc drive for BBC
Lot 25a (Large).jpg
26 Risc PC 486 SXL-40 co-processor on a card
Lot 26a (Large).jpg
27 Amstrad PPC640 portable computer, with carry case.
Lot 27a (Large).jpg
Lot 27b (Large).jpg
Lot 27c (Large).jpg
28 BBC branded green-screen monitor - TBC
Lot 28 (Large).jpg
Payment

Tom
TNMoC Acorn Curator
Description for 23 added
Last edited by Issue7 on Wed May 15, 2024 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Issue7

Post by Issue7 »

List continued from above
Most of these items are untested, although we will be happy to try them out on the day. They have no warranty. There may be a reserve on some items. Proceeds from the sale will go to The National Museum of Computing.

Some of these items have been formally de-accessioned. The majority have never been accepted onto formal museum stock. The museum already has examples of these types of machines, and feel it would be better in the hands of an enthusiast.
Lot no Description
29 BBC Micro. Complete and working (not checked all ports), except for memory fault, which reveals itself only in modes 0-3 - see video. Issue 3 PCB. 8271 DFS with v0.9 ROM. Basic 1. Swift spreadsheet ROM. PSU capacitors C1, C2 and C9 changed
lot 29a.jpg
30 BBC micro. Complete and working (not checked all ports), except for memory fault, which causes all text to be in lower case in mode 7. Works OK when S25 removed. Will not start up when S25 south. PSU capacitor C1 and C2 changed. Includes 8271 DFS with v0.9. View 3.0 wordprocessor ROM.
31 BBC Micro. Complete and working (not checked all ports). PSU capacitors C1 and C2 have been chaged at some point. Includes 8271 DFS and 1.2 ROM. Issue 7. Basic 2. Power supply has new mains lead.
lot 31.jpg
32 BBC Micro. Complete and working (not checked all ports). PSU has been fully re-capped. Includes 8271 DFS with 0.9 ROM.
lot 32 montage (Custom).jpg
34 BBC
35 BBC Master. Complete and working (not checked all ports), OS 3.2. Some keys not working reliably, may improve with use. Signs of removed 2nd processor and econet upgrade. Power supply does not have RIFA capacitors fitted. Requires 3 AA batteries for new battery unit.
36 BBC Master. No PSU, but works when jump started. OS 3.2. Some keys faulty and keytop 4$ missing.
37 BBC Master. No PSU, but works when jump started. OS 3.2. Some keys faulty. Damage to case around speaker grille - missing part inside case
38 BBC Master. Not working, missing OS ROM. No power supply. Damage to case around speaker grille. No keyboard.
39 BBC Master. Not working, missing OS ROM. No power supply. No keyboard. No lid.
40 Cambridge Z88 'tablet' computer

Computers being sold in aid of the museum
We are open to visitors bringing in machines on Saturday to sell in aid of the museum (bring-and-buy sale). Items likely to be offered:
Lot no Description
33 Haga Denshi 12 inch green screen monitor, working. Composite video input.
lot 33a.jpg
<Lot numbers and items to be sorted>
BBC Micro
A3000
A410/1 base unit
Cub 14" monitor (14")
Hitachi 12" green monitor, working

Payment

Tom
TNMoC Acorn Curator
Last edited by Issue7 on Fri May 17, 2024 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Issue7

Post by Issue7 »

Placeholder for final items.
SimonSideburns

Post by SimonSideburns »

Any chance of a working PC 1.2Mb 5.25" FDD with cable going up for sale?

I'd definitely put a bid on for one of those. When they do show up on ebay nowadays they go for crazy money, are spares/repairs, or are from America and the postage makes me wince.

Only problem is that I'm not attending the event, or coming to the museum any time soon, so it would have to be shipped to the south coast (Hampshire), or if anyone from my area is going, maybe they could, assuming I won, bring it this way and I'd arrange with them to collect it.
Just remember kids, Beeb spelled backwards is Beeb!
SarahWalker

Post by SarahWalker »

FYI :
Issue7 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:32 pm 20 Acorn Electron issue 1 motherboard with 'hybrid circuit' type ULA
Lot 20a (Large).jpg
That is _not_ a standard Electron board. It looks like some kind of prototype? Are you sure you want to be selling that?
Prime

Post by Prime »

SarahWalker wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:05 pm FYI :
Issue7 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:32 pm 20 Acorn Electron issue 1 motherboard with 'hybrid circuit' type ULA
Lot 20a (Large).jpg
That is _not_ a standard Electron board. It looks like some kind of prototype? Are you sure you want to be selling that?
Yeah I wondered about that, I've never seen one like that before.

Cheers.

Phill.
Prime

Post by Prime »

23 Looks like an addon board for the Sinclair QL, Disk and RAM perhaps as there are RAM chips on it.

Cheers.

Phill.
Issue7

Post by Issue7 »

SarahWalker wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:05 pm FYI :
Lot 20a (Large).jpg
Thanks. We'll be keeping that one back.
Tom
TNMoC Acorn curator
paulb

Post by paulb »

Prime wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:26 pm
SarahWalker wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:05 pm That is _not_ a standard Electron board. It looks like some kind of prototype? Are you sure you want to be selling that?
Yeah I wondered about that, I've never seen one like that before.
Yes, the finish is nothing like a production board, and it utilises the plotter-style font for labelling. The board incorporates the power supply circuit, unlike the separate board on the production models, and there are differences in the positioning of various components. For example, the ICs, most obviously the RAM, ULA and ROM, are rotated 90 degrees from their more familiar orientation.

Seeing "issue 1" might lead people into remembering the first time they saw a German Electron board and got confused, but this isn't one of those. It is also interesting that the 0205,300 designation doesn't match the 0205,000 designation seen on production boards.

Well, isn't this where we get to say that this is something that should be in a museum? I've since noticed that it has been pulled from the auction, which is good news all round.
maniacminer

Post by maniacminer »

#20 - looks like a prototype for something Electron based, I think it should be withdrawn so more information can be sought.

#23 - definitely Sinclair QL, not Acorn. Looks like a memory/floppy disc interface https://www.8bit-wiki.de/fileadmin/8bit ... erface.pdf
Big Model B Econet,Master 512,Electron,A3000,A540,Atom,Unilab 3-Chip Plus,6502,Z80,65C816,80186,32016,Matchbox,ARM7TDMI,Master 10/100,PiCoPro,Teletext,Music500,PiSCSI,Challenger3,Gotek,VideoNuLA,GoSDC,GoMMC,Integra-B,RGB2HDMIv4,Epson LQ-850 (for the win!)
pir

Post by pir »

I'd like to place some sealed bids (only getting home from holiday on Saturday) but looks like my account is too new, I can't send PMs.
Ukwebb

Post by Ukwebb »

pir wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:51 pm I'd like to place some sealed bids (only getting home from holiday on Saturday) but looks like my account is too new, I can't send PMs.
ironically this very post will have unlocked your PM ability - 11 posts or more are required :)
BBC Bs, Master 128s, Master Compact, and Electrons, and an A3000 with an ARM3 :)

Don’t Panic and Always Carry a Towel
pir

Post by pir »

Ukwebb wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 7:38 am ironically this very post will have unlocked your PM ability - 11 posts or more are required :)
:lol:

That would have been funny but sadly it still says:
Compose message

We are sorry, but you are not authorised to use this feature. You may have just registered here and may need to participate more in discussions to be able to use this feature.

I had to log out and log back in again, sorted!
Cruxinc

Post by Cruxinc »

hello, i am interested in bidding on some items, but i cannot send pms and how will i know what the current bid is? any answers would be much appreciated! many thanks!
-Elliot :)
Lover of all things acorn, but especially the 8 bits!
- bbc b issue 7 with econet- electron issue 2 - microvitec cub 653 - amx mouse -
i like to use as much original hardware as possible, and only use disk and tapes! :shock:
paulb

Post by paulb »

Cruxinc wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 4:51 pm hello, i am interested in bidding on some items, but i cannot send pms and how will i know what the current bid is? any answers would be much appreciated! many thanks!
I would imagine that this describes the process:
A sealed-bid auction is a type of auction process in which all bidders simultaneously submit sealed bids to the auctioneer. The result is that no bidder knows how much the other auction participants have bid.

"Sealed bid" refers to a written bid placed in a sealed envelope. The sealed bid is not opened until the stated date, at which time all bids are opened together. The highest bidder is usually declared the winner of the bidding process.
Sealed-Bid Auction: Definition and How It Works in Real Estate Sales
Issue7

Post by Issue7 »

Hi all - More items added! I'll sort out the pictures soon.

Hi Elliott, I'm puzzled that you can't send a PM. Instead, please send an email to Izzy. If sending things this way, please get it to her by 1:30, just so she can pass the details on to us.

The sealed bid process, as we are interpreting it, is where you send a message containing your best and final bid - the one you think will be higher than everyone else. The auctioneer will get bids from the room, and then when they stop, we will check the sealed bid. If your bid is higher, then you win, however your bid will be announced and someone in the room can counter-bid.

The sealed bid system means you have only one go for each item. We don't think we can properly do a live auction via the internet, so we're keeping it simple.

Like every auction it is designed to get the highest price for every item. So think carefully about what you want and how much you think it is worth. You need to try to predict what others will try to bid, but don't over stretch yourself.

Tom
Last edited by danielj on Fri May 17, 2024 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: edited to remove email address

Return to “other events + general event chat”