Elkulator Linux compile problems

discuss bbc micro and electron emulators (including mame) here!
BrettRogersUK

Elkulator Linux compile problems

Post by BrettRogersUK »

Hi,

I downloaded the Elkulator emulator from https://elkulator.acornelectron.co.uk/

I'm having a few problems compiling it. I've looked for some fixes and found a Linux GUI fix on here to show the ROMS menu however when I go to compile it I get an error as seen below.
elkulator.png
I have tried compiling with just the make command and also the make CC='gcc -fcommon' command and I get the same output. Errors all the time. I have checked that I have all the dependencies from the readme-LINUX file and all of them are all up to date.

I wonder if anyone else has had problems and is there a way to build it to get it working. I'm running Ubuntu Linux 22.04.

Thanks,

Brett
hoglet

Re: Elkulator Linux compile problems

Post by hoglet »

That version is 15 years old!

See also this thread: Elkulator Compile Problems Linux

There is a new version being developed by dboddie in the stardot github:
https://github.com/stardot/Elkulator

And there is an even newer fork of that here:
https://github.com/demrepofdave/elkulator

In fact, the github network is quite interesting, showing several active forks:
https://github.com/stardot/elkulator/network

Dave
BrettRogersUK

Post by BrettRogersUK »

hoglet wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:41 am That version is 15 years old!

Dave
Thanks Dave.

That post you link to is my old post. I had to start again fresh and needed to reinstall it. However, I have tried the stardot version and many of the other forks of it but still get compilation errors on all of them.

Last time I got it to work by using the make CC='gcc -fcommon' command as I went back to my previous post to get that info but it didn't work this time.

I have checked all the dependencies and they are all up to date and installed.

Kindest Regards,

Brett

EDIT: I DID MANAGE TO GET THE STARDOT ONE TO COMPILE, I THINK (I'VE TRIED SO MANY), HOWEVER. THE MENU DIDN'T APPEAR WHEN PRESSING F11 AND I COULDNT CLOSE THE WINDOW OR USE IT.
paulb

Post by paulb »

BrettRogersUK wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:06 pm That post you link to is my old post. I had to start again fresh and needed to reinstall it. However, I have tried the stardot version and many of the other forks of it but still get compilation errors on all of them.
Please provide details of these errors so that we can troubleshoot the problem. I routinely compile Elkulator on a fairly old Debian system, but it is entirely possible that the dependencies need adjusting or toolchain behaviour needs adapting to.

As Dave notes, there are a few forks that would benefit from being merged into the Stardot respository. An alternative to the -fcommon fix that you mention is on one of my branches, and I have since merged that into various other branches of mine: it situates variable definitions in well-defined places and changes elk.h to use declarations instead of definitions. At some point, I envisage tidying up the code more generally and making it a bit easier to follow.
paulb

Post by paulb »

BrettRogersUK wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:06 pm EDIT: I DID MANAGE TO GET THE STARDOT ONE TO COMPILE, I THINK (I'VE TRIED SO MANY), HOWEVER. THE MENU DIDN'T APPEAR WHEN PRESSING F11 AND I COULDNT CLOSE THE WINDOW OR USE IT.
Apologies for this. When the key redefinition code was updated, menu access was changed to use the menu key by default (which is typically next to the right Ctrl key) and the Readme-LINUX.txt file didn't get updated. I'll try and get some fixes merged for this.
BrettRogersUK

Post by BrettRogersUK »

paulb wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:19 pm Please provide details of these errors so that we can troubleshoot the problem. I routinely compile Elkulator on a fairly old Debian system, but it is entirely possible that the dependencies need adjusting or toolchain behaviour needs adapting to.

As Dave notes, there are a few forks that would benefit from being merged into the Stardot respository. An alternative to the -fcommon fix that you mention is on one of my branches, and I have since merged that into various other branches of mine: it situates variable definitions in well-defined places and changes elk.h to use declarations instead of definitions. At some point, I envisage tidying up the code more generally and making it a bit easier to follow.
I think I did actually get the main stardot one to compile but the menu didn't work so I couldn't load anything or even close the window for it.

Last time I did it, the one I got to compile and work with menu etc was the elkulator.acornelectron.co.uk version as above. So I tried it again this time round again with the quick fix (make CC='gcc -fcommon' command) as before (in my previous post linked in Dave's post) but got the error seen on my terminal on my first post. The error was something about GLIBC_2.28 as can be seen in the pic of my terminal on the first post here.

I suspect it to be possibly a toolchain issue due to updates etc done since doing it the first time round.

So to start from scratch then, what fork would you recommend I download and try to compile?

Regards,

Brett
paulb

Post by paulb »

BrettRogersUK wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:35 pm I think I did actually get the main stardot one to compile but the menu didn't work so I couldn't load anything or even close the window for it.
The menu is, as noted earlier, operable using the much overlooked menu key that is intended to open application menus. Right now, I can't suggest a quick way to change the configuration to force the F11 key to be used, but the whole point of the changes that were made was to improve keyboard redefinition, allow Break to be redefined (F12 is a bad choice with some Linux desktops), and so on.
BrettRogersUK wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:35 pm Last time I did it, the one I got to compile and work with menu etc was the elkulator.acornelectron.co.uk version as above. So I tried it again this time round again with the quick fix (make CC='gcc -fcommon' command) as before (in my previous post linked in Dave's post) but got the error seen on my terminal on my first post. The error was something about GLIBC_2.28 as can be seen in the pic of my terminal on the first post here.

I suspect it to be possibly a toolchain issue due to updates etc done since doing it the first time round.
Yes, according to the Ubuntu packages site, your C library version should be 2.35. I would suggest doing...

Code: Select all

make distclean
...to remove the generated files and to follow the Readme-LINUX.txt instructions.
BrettRogersUK wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:35 pm So to start from scratch then, what fork would you recommend I download and try to compile?
The Stardot master branch should compile and link, but you may need that -fcommon fix. Alternatively, try this one:

https://github.com/uiopaubo/elkulator

With that, you will need to choose the fix-common-declarations branch. That should be largely equivalent to the Stardot master branch, but with fixes for the multiple definition issue.
BrettRogersUK

Post by BrettRogersUK »

Thanks Paul,

I will certainly give that one a go and report back.

Thanks again for your help.

Kind Regards,

Brett
BrettRogersUK

Post by BrettRogersUK »

paulb wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:20 pm
The Stardot master branch should compile and link, but you may need that -fcommon fix. Alternatively, try this one:

https://github.com/uiopaubo/elkulator

With that, you will need to choose the fix-common-declarations branch. That should be largely equivalent to the Stardot master branch, but with fixes for the multiple definition issue.
Hi Paul,

I've downloaded the fix-common-declarations branch from your github. I've compiled it and run it but still not got any access to the menu. I'm using a laptop and the key next to the right ctrl key is the alt gr key and other side is the left arrow key. I've tried F11 as well just for kicks but no luck (hahaha).
20240429_155735.jpg
Anything I can try?

Regards,

Brett

EDIT: Managed to map the menu key to my RT alt gr key by using this command from the terminal: $ xmodmap -e 'keycode 108 = Menu'. Menu now works.
paulb

Post by paulb »

BrettRogersUK wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:32 pm I've downloaded the fix-common-declarations branch from your github. I've compiled it and run it but still not got any access to the menu. I'm using a laptop and the key next to the right ctrl key is the alt gr key and other side is the left arrow key. I've tried F11 as well just for kicks but no luck (hahaha).
I hadn't counted on modern laptop keyboards (with their hateful half-height cursor keys, too). Try changing the appropriate line in elk.cfg to this:

key_define_057 = 123
BrettRogersUK wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:32 pm EDIT: Managed to map the menu key to my RT alt gr key by usig this command from the terminal: $ xmodmap -e 'keycode 108 = Menu'. Menu now works.
An interesting workaround. Personally, I would miss AltGr since I need it for various accents and special characters, but then my cheap PS/2 keyboard has a menu key.

Sorry for the inconvenience. Maybe I need to submit a trivial patch to make F11 usable for menu as well.
BrettRogersUK

Post by BrettRogersUK »

paulb wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:19 pm
I hadn't counted on modern laptop keyboards (with their hateful half-height cursor keys, too). Try changing the appropriate line in elk.cfg to this:

key_define_057 = 123
Sorry for the inconvenience. Maybe I need to submit a trivial patch to make F11 usable for menu as well.
Hi Paul,

Tried that and it's now back to using F11 now to get the menu up, it works as well.

Thanks for the info Paul. Intrigued as to the use of the multicart exentions from the ROMS menu. How do they work? I can't see anything in any of the info supplied about them.

Kindest Regards,

Brett
paulb

Post by paulb »

BrettRogersUK wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:37 pm Thanks for the info Paul. Intrigued as to the use of the multicart exentions from the ROMS menu. How do they work? I can't see anything in any of the info supplied about them.
That's davidb's domain, and maybe he might be able to describe those features. My understanding is that they are there to emulate the Mega Games Cartridge, since he has done much work on the game packaging and fancy introduction screen, along with a paged ROM cartridge he developed.

If you want to mess around with exotic features, try the serial-port-emulation branch. That should effectively emulate a serial port cartridge, and I have used it for some experimentation with filing systems over a serial connection to the host system. At some point, I should make a telnet gateway so that I can try out the Night Owl BBS, equipping the emulated Electron with Jafa's Mode 7 and communications ROMs, maybe even trying it with an emulated Mode 7 adapter.
demrepofdave

Post by demrepofdave »

hoglet wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:41 am That version is 15 years old!

Dave
Hi there,

The https://github.com/demrepofdave/elkulator is my experimental fork. It should have all the compile errors and warnings fixed, and I also did a quick fix to change from F11 to using the HOME button (as F11 was not working for me either as it's use is overloaded in some Linux GUIs) - I should make this configurable when I get time.

If you want to try my version the build instructions in https://github.com/demrepofdave/elkulat ... -LINUX.txt *should* work.

I've also been looking at getting the windows build compiling again, but have had little success. One issue is the socket code that seems to be linux only (although one flavor of windows compiler seems to be ok building it) and it won't take much effort to make this compatible with windows.

The main issue is that allegro 4 is very out of date and I can't seem to get the libraries to link.

B-EM, which I believe once had a common heritage with Eklulator, has been updated to use Allegro 5. I think this would be necessary to bring Elkulator back up to date. Once this is done I there is some B-Em code I am eyeing (in particular around the debugger) which could slot into the Elkulator code.

Sorry, I didn't announce this fork to the community as this is my "playground" fork (to make mistakes on, blow away, and then re-do again, hopefully contributing to the stardot community version). I just haven't gotten enough time to work on it properly (and also figure out how Github PR's work, who owns Stardot's elkulator github to ask permission when I have something to contribute back).

Anyway feel free to try my fork and see what you think.

Dave (DemRepOfDave).
davidb

Post by davidb »

demrepofdave wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:41 pm Sorry, I didn't announce this fork to the community as this is my "playground" fork (to make mistakes on, blow away, and then re-do again, hopefully contributing to the stardot community version). I just haven't gotten enough time to work on it properly (and also figure out how Github PR's work, who owns Stardot's elkulator github to ask permission when I have something to contribute back).
No worries. I was basically using the official repo as a development repo in some ways.

Feel free to submit pull requests. I guess I'll probably be the one who looks at them. :)
demrepofdave

Post by demrepofdave »

davidb wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:16 pm
No worries. I was basically using the official repo as a development repo in some ways.

Feel free to submit pull requests. I guess I'll probably be the one who looks at them. :)
Hi there!

Sure. I think what I will do is fork again and submit my PRs from there (did a diff and I'm not happy with some of the commenting in my code). Ah - can't do that with github (still learning). I'll tidy my branches and then submit a PR.

Thanks,

Dave

Return to “8-bit acorn emulators”