New Pegasus Disc Interface Layout

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
daveejhitchins

New Pegasus Disc Interface Layout

Post by daveejhitchins »

With an Altium export of his bygonedays (Derek) Pegasus layout, I've carried out a few changes and created a revised layout.

Changes:
Added more capacitors.
Made more space around the bottom right-hand fixing hole.
Rejigged the SRAM socket for 62256 parts.
Replaced the 7416 with a ULN2003A as the 7416 is hard to find at a reasonable price.
Added extra ground.
Tidied-up the layout.
Retro Hardware Pegasus 1V1 - 11-03-21.PDF.jpg
Top and Bottom Traces.JPG
Top Traces.JPG
Bottom Traces.JPG
SilkScreen.JPG
3D Top.JPG
3D Bottom.JPG
Retro Hardware Pegasus 1V1 - 11-03-21.PDF.zip
Schematic
(179.03 KiB) Downloaded 77 times

Dave H
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
roland

Re: New Pegasus Disc Interface Layout

Post by roland »

Nice work Dave :D
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:
walkerworks

Post by walkerworks »

Nice job, I was concerned the export from EasyEda would cause some problems but it's looking really good =D>
rmbrowngr

Post by rmbrowngr »

daveejhitchins wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:50 pm Made more space around the bottom right-hand fixing hole.
That’s a definite plus, after taking mine apart twice and fighting to put it back in the case. :D
Richard B
Acorn Electrons issue 4 and 6, MRB, Plus 1 x2, Plus 3, AP6 x2, AP5, Pegasus 400, BeebSCSI, Gotek, Raspberry Pi Co-processor, GoSDC MBE.
BBC B+ 64K (128K upgraded) with Duel OS, Raspberry Pi Co-processor and Gotek.
sP1d3r

Post by sP1d3r »

I made my original Pegasus PCB fit in the case properly by draw-filing the edges of the PCB.

The right hand edge of the board has a thick track which mustn't come into contact with the case.

Socketing the LS04 makes it possible to put the nut over the hole and do the screw up so that the nut doesn't need to rotate round.

:D
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

sP1d3r wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:50 am I made my original Pegasus PCB fit in the case properly by draw-filing the edges of the PCB.

The right hand edge of the board has a thick track which mustn't come into contact with the case.

Socketing the LS04 makes it possible to put the nut over the hole and do the screw up so that the nut doesn't need to rotate round.

:D
Yes, that bottom right hole was "a bit tight" to say the least. I had to write detailed instructions for users purchasing cases.

I don't think I've ever seen that version of the Pegasus in one of Slogger's cases - just wondering how it was done! Maybe the PCB was respinned?

Dave H.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
sP1d3r

Post by sP1d3r »

Here's a picture.
Draw filing is using the file perpendicular to the edge instead of filing as usual and it's more accurate if you're careful.
Attachments
Slogger Pegasus A33-002-P1B Iss A
Slogger Pegasus A33-002-P1B Iss A
sP1d3r

Post by sP1d3r »

Actually Dave, I think because of the amount of faulty via's that had to be fixed, the PCB may have gone to a different manufacturer for production with some modifications as noted on the Issue B version of the schematic diagram I've seen on the forum.

I'd say 60-70% of the via's needed a wire soldered in, I didn't mind that because prior to my taking up repairing old computers in the last few years, the last soldering/electronics I did was around the time I was studying for an OND BITD which much to my disappointment I was unable to complete.

No time like the present to try to catchup!
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

sP1d3r wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:34 pm Actually Dave, I think because of the amount of faulty via's that had to be fixed, the PCB may have gone to a different manufacturer for production with some modifications as noted on the Issue B version of the schematic diagram I've seen on the forum.

I'd say 60-70% of the via's needed a wire soldered in, I didn't mind that because prior to my taking up repairing old computers in the last few years, the last soldering/electronics I did was around the time I was studying for an OND BITD which much to my disappointment I was unable to complete.

They could also have been prototypes! I still have several that have "some" components on them and are slightly different layouts (and are a mess!) - If anyone wants some troubleshooting practice, just PM me.

Dave H.
chriskgnr

Post by chriskgnr »

daveejhitchins wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:39 pm
sP1d3r wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:34 pm Actually Dave, I think because of the amount of faulty via's that had to be fixed, the PCB may have gone to a different manufacturer for production with some modifications as noted on the Issue B version of the schematic diagram I've seen on the forum.

They could also have been prototypes! I still have several that have "some" components on them and are slightly different layouts (and are a mess!) - If anyone wants some troubleshooting practice, just PM me.

Dave H.
Hi!

Is by any chance available the Pegasus gerber files?
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Here's the latest Manufacturing Pack:

If you want the Altium files or the case .stl files, let me know!

Dave H.

Edit:
Pegasus 1V3a Manufacturing Files - 09-08-22.zip
(389.97 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Edit:
Pegasus Case.zip
(23.97 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Note: If you have an earlier Pegasus the board mounting holes will not be in the right place!
PEGASUS_400 1.docx
(103.3 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
User Guide Front Page.docx
(537.17 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
RH Pegasus 1V3A - 08-08-22.PDF
(617.15 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Last edited by daveejhitchins on Wed May 01, 2024 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chriskgnr

Post by chriskgnr »

Thank you Dave!

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”