The New Plus 1 for the Electron Ready for Sale - with a Caveat - UPDATED again!

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
daveejhitchins

The New Plus 1 for the Electron Ready for Sale - with a Caveat - UPDATED again!

Post by daveejhitchins »

The New Plus 1 is now available and to order.

OK, so What's taken so long?

Testing:
Lots and lots of testing with a few tweaks needed here and there . . .

Case:
Both variants of the case are 3D printed. The quality of printing is very good, however, it's not to the standard of the original Injection Moulded case!!

There have been several 'tweaks' to the Case Design - all handled by Mark Hillier. The design is now 'stable', however, there may be some future 'tweaks' dependant on feedback from users.

The case printed by me is in 10 parts - printed on a Prusa MK4 (see photos) The case printed by Mark Hillier is in 6 parts - printed on an Anycubic Kobra 2 Plus (see photos). Unfortunately, you won't have a choice which one you receive as we'll both be printing them! You can, of course, print your own! The .stl files will be made available (for both variants) and a kit of the necessary hardware will be available to purchase from me. Note: You will not need to print the 2 x cartridge guides, as they need to be fitted with the cartridge connectors!

PCB:
Is fully working now I'm not using the Chinese 74LS parts. There have also been a few small improvements over time.

Facilities:
Everything works as the original Acorn/P.R.E.S. Plus 1. The extras are:
(1) The ROM socket supports 16K and comes with JGH's set of Utilities including TreeCopy.
(2) Internal support (6 pin SIL socket) for the Printer Port version of MMFS.
(3) A left hand side 9 pin male D connector supporting Atari style Digital Joysticks - the upcoming ADJI ROM (Tom Seddon) will work with this!
(4) Support for an easy fit of the AP6 e.g. no soldering required.
(5) An extended and enhanced User Guide.

The Caveat: Also see the pricing . . .
This involves the connector between the Plus 1 and Electron. The part most people use is the TE 5532600-2. The problem here is the cost! So, I've found an alternative through AliExpress. This is a good connector . . . Except (???)

When I started to design products that plugged into the Electron (and later the Master) I always had the board edge and connector fingers beveled and hard gold plated - because it gives maximum life to the product! Recently, however, I've been buying from JLCPCB (Cost!) who don't do hard gold plating nor bevelled edges!

This creates a problem/caveat as the Electron's PCB edge connector is not bevelled!! It causes problems by damaging one or more of the connector contacts when plugging the New Plus 1 onto the Electron. The reason I didn't 'catch' this issue, until recently, is I've been using the Electrons that I develop all my hardware on e.g. the Electron PCB interface is well worn and all the 'sharp' edges have been removed over time.

If you purchase one of the first 20 units you will need to bevell your Electron's PCB edge connector(s) before use *MANDATORY* to prevent damage. There will be dire warnings on the case to the effect that the bevelling MUST be carried out to prevent damage to the connector! See photos . . .

A short YouTube video showing how to bevel the Electron's PCB edge

I'm trying to locate a lower cost source of the TE 5532600-2 connector, however, regardless I'll be shipping the first 20 with the AliExpress card edge connector. The following units will contain the TE 5532600-2 connector along with any *extra cost*. I don't mind selling the first units to people that understand the issue and will ensure their Electrons are modified. But I'm not inclined to sell any of the first 20 to non technical users or through eBay with the caveat requirement!!

Comments welcome on the above issue . . . !

Cost (first 20): £70 including UK P&P
I would be grateful for users that can take one of the original 20 would do so! Development and investment for this project has been significant!

For those that wouldn't like to modify their Electron, for any reason, I can now offer the New Plus 1 with the TE connector that doesn't need the modification.
Cost: £75 including UK P&P

Orders taken - just PM me - You'll be placed on a list - No payment needed until the unit is ready to be dispatched - I'll contact you.

Dave H / Mark H.

PCB top
PCB top
Full case top
Full case top
Full case inner
Full case inner
Full case base
Full case base
6 Piece case: Note that the colour will be the same as the others for production!
6 Piece case: Note that the colour will be the same as the others for production!
Last edited by daveejhitchins on Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:47 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
roland

Re: The New Plus 1 for the Electron Ready for Sale - with a Caveat

Post by roland »

Can you please post some photos of the bevelled connectors? I have used similar Chinese connectors for minus1 boards and I didn’t notice any damage.
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

roland wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:16 pm Can you please post some photos of the bevelled connectors? I have used similar Chinese connectors for minus1 boards and I didn’t notice any damage.
Photos on their way today . . .

Have you tried a virgin Electron e.g. one that hasn't had "anything' plugged into it? That's why I missed the issue . . . And, it may be the specific connectors I'm using. I've also used other card edge connectors from AliExpress and not see the issue and I've not had the problem with the cartridge sockets!

Dave H.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
roland

Post by roland »

No, I don't have an Electron that hasn't anything plugged into it. I'm interested in a Plus-1 and I PM'ed you about it.
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:
sP1d3r

Post by sP1d3r »

daveejhitchins wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:43 pm
I'm trying to locate a lower cost source of the TE 5532600-2 connector, however, regardless I'll be shipping the first 20 with the AliExpress card edge connector. The following units will contain the TE 5532600-2 connector along with any *extra cost*. I don't mind selling the first units to people that understand the issue and will ensure their Electrons are modified. But I'm not inclined to sell any of the first 20 to non technical users or through eBay with the caveat requirement!!
It may be worth contacting this website, it's in Pennsylvania in the US;
https://www.connectorpeople.com

They're not showing any stock but if you submit a request they might be able to give you a good price.
I used the number 5532600-2 and they have a listing for it, you'd probably have to order 50 to 100 to get reasonable rates.
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

sP1d3r wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:22 am
daveejhitchins wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:43 pm
It may be worth contacting this website, it's in Pennsylvania in the US;
https://www.connectorpeople.com

They're not showing any stock but if you submit a request they might be able to give you a good price.
I used the number 5532600-2 and they have a listing for it, you'd probably have to order 50 to 100 to get reasonable rates.
Thanks, I'll give them a go . . . Dave H
rmbrowngr

Re: The New Plus 1 for the Electron Ready for Sale - with a Caveat - UPDATED

Post by rmbrowngr »

daveejhitchins wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:43 pm If you purchase one of the first 20 units you will need to bevell your Electron's PCB edge connector(s) before use *MANDATORY* to prevent damage. There will be dire warnings on the case to the effect that the bevelling MUST be carried out to prevent damage to the connector! See photos . . .
Always thought the edge connector was a bit rough!

Nice work! =D>

Plus 1's do go for good money on eBay now.

Will the next project be replacement Plus 3? :lol:
Richard B
Acorn Electrons issue 4 and 6, MRB, Plus 1 x2, Plus 3, AP6 x2, AP5, Pegasus 400, BeebSCSI, Gotek, Raspberry Pi Co-processor, GoSDC MBE.
BBC B+ 64K (128K upgraded) with Duel OS, Raspberry Pi Co-processor and Gotek.
dhoggan

Re: The New Plus 1 for the Electron Ready for Sale - with a Caveat - UPDATED again!

Post by dhoggan »

I remember the discussion about a new Plus 1 a while ago - amazed to see that it now exists!

I think it is, but is that top "door" for easy access to put ROMS into a AP6, if fitted?

Very tempted - and it's nearly pay day!
retroshaun

Re: The New Plus 1 for the Electron Ready for Sale - with a Caveat - UPDATED again!

Post by retroshaun »

Nice! I think I must invest!!!

Sadly I cannot PM you as I am a new user. Can you send me a PM as to how to order please? Hopefully avoiding PMs onn here til I am able to use that service.
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

retroshaun wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:48 am Nice! I think I must invest!!!

Sadly I cannot PM you as I am a new user. Can you send me a PM as to how to order please? Hopefully avoiding PMs onn here til I am able to use that service.
PM sent . . . Dave H.
Bitstik

Post by Bitstik »

Have received my new plus1 and it’s working perfectly. Many thanks - it’s super.

I’ve just got a question- I’m using the advanced tube interface (no 2nd processor connected) and I haven’t installed the plus 1 utils rom that comes with the ATI as I believe the plus 1 has one installed. This is the first time I’ve plugged the ATI in.

My question is this:
Why do I have 2 utils roms showing?

Thanks in advance
IMG_4406.jpeg
Bitstik

Post by Bitstik »

RTFM!!
I see I have a copy of the utils on the ATI as well so that explains it.
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Bitstik wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:53 pm RTFM!!
I see I have a copy of the utils on the ATI as well so that explains it.
Those are the original ABR Utils and are for saving - I put 2 copies in for insurance!

And the New Plus Support ROM is 16K as opposed to the original Plus 1 Support ROM being only 8K.

Dave H.
Bitstik

Post by Bitstik »

Many thanks- now to dig out my MGC I put somewhere!
sP1d3r

Post by sP1d3r »

I have an Electron with an unused edge connector,
Unused Electron edge connector
Unused Electron edge connector
Edge connector solder side
Edge connector solder side
Whilst I can't do any bevelling, a cotton bud with some WD40 works.
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

sP1d3r wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:12 am I have an Electron with an unused edge connector,

20240401_234808.jpg

20240401_234859.jpg

Whilst I can't do any bevelling, a cotton bud with some WD40 works.
A sandpaper type nail file would do the job!

Dave H.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

One of our Dutch friends may help, they have an angle grinder.... Just saying :lol:

Mark
vanekp

Post by vanekp »

lol
Regards Peter.
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

1024MAK wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:53 pm One of our Dutch friends may help, they have an angle grinder.... Just saying :lol:

Mark
:roll: :twisted: :oops: :mrgreen: =D> :lol:

Dave H.
DaveLecky

Post by DaveLecky »

Hi Folks,
Will the new AP1 pcb fit an old AP1 case?
I realize there is the joystick port sticking out one side which would have to be cut/amended.

Dave
Electron, Plus 3 and plus 1, AP6 and Home made MMFS PP SD interface
Electron Plus 1 Pres AP3/4 AP5 MGC ELKWiFi MRB
Beeb issue 7 with IFEL 16 socket Rom/Ram board
Master 128,CoPro
Master Compact
StrongA RPC,
Atom, Music 5000 and Keyboard
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

DaveLecky wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:11 pm Hi Folks,
Will the new AP1 pcb fit an old AP1 case?
I realize there is the joystick port sticking out one side which would have to be cut/amended.

Dave
Sorry, no . . . The PCB fixing are different, sorry! - Dave H. But . . . I've not tried - I'll do so this morning.

Edit: The main problem is the cartridge slot fixings are out. But, with some ingenuity it may be cobbled-in! I have a prototype board you can 'try' - let me know . . . Dave H.
DaveLecky

Post by DaveLecky »

Thanks Dave,

I’ll not take you up on your offer for now …..thanks.

Dave
Electron, Plus 3 and plus 1, AP6 and Home made MMFS PP SD interface
Electron Plus 1 Pres AP3/4 AP5 MGC ELKWiFi MRB
Beeb issue 7 with IFEL 16 socket Rom/Ram board
Master 128,CoPro
Master Compact
StrongA RPC,
Atom, Music 5000 and Keyboard
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Will Dave H be getting one of these:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cx7d34nl5vwo

Should be big enough (just about) to print the whole Elk +1 in a single piece!
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Pah! Had one for weeks - printing my own workshop at the moment :---) :lol:

Dave H.

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”