Atom upgrade advice

emulators, hardware and classic software for atom + system machines
crivett95

Atom upgrade advice

Post by crivett95 »

Hi,

I've finally gotten around to looking into some upgrades for the Atom I acquired a few years ago (viewtopic.php?p=258574). The only thing that's really changed with it since then is that I fitted an AtoMMC, the ROM for which replaced the A&F utility ROM. I've since gotten all of my other Acorn machines connected to Econet, so have been speaking to KenLowe about his combined AtoMMC and Econet interface for the Atom. I have a YARRB-M2 on the way from Roland as well.

I was also interested in one of Ken's combined Atom VGA and Tube interfaces, mainly for the VGA output. One thing I'm curious about with that is if a noise killer would still be worthwhile or necessary for my machine? I believe it already has the memory expanded to the 12K supported as standard. Does it make any difference if just using the Pico VGA functionality for video output?

I'm also curious if anyone has any suggestions for other upgrades I may want to consider or tweaks/modifications I could do to my Atom.

Thanks!

Chris
oss003

Re: Atom upgrade advice

Post by oss003 »

Hi Chris,

I noticed that I must update this post but here are some upgrades for the Atom:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8168&p=86259&hilit ... cts#p86259

Greetings
Kees
hoglet

Re: Atom upgrade advice

Post by hoglet »

crivett95 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:33 pm One thing I'm curious about with that is if a noise killer would still be worthwhile or necessary for my machine? I believe it already has the memory expanded to the 12K supported as standard. Does it make any difference if just using the Pico VGA functionality for video output?
A NoiseKiller will make no differences to the PicoVGA output (which is already noise free).

The only possible benefit of the 8K RAM/Noise Killer would be reduced power (compared to 12x 2114 RAM chips)

Dave

Return to “acorn atom and acorn system series”