Ghostbusters

ChrisB

Ghostbusters

Post by ChrisB »

Forty years after it was promised Ghostbusters arrives on the BBC Micro! Attached is my implementation of the game (rather than a direct conversion) based on the C64 version. Requirements are a standard BBC B with an enhanced version for machines with sideways RAM that also includes NULA support. Holding CTRL as soon as the first Ghostbusters logo is presented will skip the sideways ram detection. Load the tape versions with *RUN.
Screenshots and instructions below.
GB_ReleaseV1.ssd
(64.5 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
GBTapeSWv1.uef
(28.99 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
GBTapeV1.uef
(18.77 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Differences between standard and enhanced version
  • On the standard version the keymaster and gatekeeper do not roam around the map. Instead when ZUUL is approaching the central building turns Magenta then Cyan.
  • The enhanced marshmallow man is bigger.
  • The standard version end game is cut down compared to the enhanced version. The enhanced version has a custom screen to sneak past the marshmallow man and an end game screen.
  • The car you are driving is not displayed when capturing ghosts on the standard version.
  • The enhanced version has sampled sound during gameplay.
Development thread starts here:
viewtopic.php?t=27158

Edit: Forgot to mention. f0 to pause. Whilst paused f1 Resume. f2/f3 Tune on/off, f4/f5 Sound on/off
Last edited by ChrisB on Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Castle Defender, Untitled Dungeon Game, Night Ninja, Wordle, Waffle, Acorn Island, Beebchase, Ghostbusters
ChrisB

Re: Ghostbusters

Post by ChrisB »

Screenshots:
gb2.png
gb2.png (6.31 KiB) Viewed 898 times
gb3.png
gb3.png (9.87 KiB) Viewed 898 times
gb4.png
gb4.png (4.71 KiB) Viewed 898 times
gb5.png
gb5.png (7.35 KiB) Viewed 898 times
gb6 (Custom).png
gb6 (Custom).png (6.44 KiB) Viewed 898 times
NULA Screenshots:
nulashop.png
nulamap.png
nuladrive.png
nulacapture.png
Castle Defender, Untitled Dungeon Game, Night Ninja, Wordle, Waffle, Acorn Island, Beebchase, Ghostbusters
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

BUILDING A FRANCHISE
Follow instructions on the screen to buy and outfit your vehicle; to pick up and release supplies with the fork-lift, press the action button. Keep an eye on credit available (upper right corner).
  • PK ENERGY DETECTOR warns of an approaching ghost, called o "Slimed' by turning a building pink when you pass it.
  • IMAGE INTENSIFIER makes Slimes easier to see when YOU are trying to catch them
  • MARSHMALLOW SENSOR warns you of the impending approach of the dreaded Marshmallow Man by turning a building cyan/grey when you're by it.
  • GHOST VACUUM sucks up itinerant ghouls (called Roamers") as you travel the streets of the city.
  • GHOST TRAPS are what you use to catch and store Slimers. Each trap holds one Slimer. Without them, you cannot earn money.
  • GHOST BAIT attracts Roamers, which periodically gather to form the Marshmallow Man. Without BAIT, you cannot stop him. (See IMPORTANT SAFETY TIPS below) YOU get five dollops of bait when purchased.
  • PORTABLE LASER CONFINEMENT SYSTEM stores ten Slimers in your vehicle. Saves travel time back to GHQ for more traps.
YOUR ACCOUNT NUMBERS
If you successfully complete a game, an account number will record your account balance. YOU can use your account number on any Ghostbusters program. Be careful to always enter your name and account number in exactly the same way. Account numbers are compatible with the C64 version but account names are only letters.

MAP SCREEN
A map of the city appears, with ZUUI'S horrible temple in the center and GHQ at the bottom. Red flashing buildings indicate the presence of a Slimer
Guide your vehicle to red flashing buildings leaving as short a trail as possible to reach building. As you do this, freeze any Roamers that are moving to Zuul by touching them.
Enter a building by positioning yourself next to the building then pression Action and the movement direction into the building.

THE STREETS
Steer the vehicle at passing Roamers (if you have frozen any) and push the action button to vacuum them up.
This keeps them from getting to the Temple of Zuul. The city's PK energy reading jumps 100 for each Roamer that gets to Zuul.

BUSTING GHOSTS

When you arrive at the site of the disturbance, take the following steps:
  • Direct the first Ghostbuster toward the center of the building and push the action button to deposit the trap. Then move him to the far left of the screen, turn him towards the trap, and push the action button again.
  • The second Ghostbuster appears. Direct him to the far right of the screen, turn him towards the trap, and push the button. Both Ghostbusters will power on their negative ionizer backpacks.
  • Move your Ghostbusters inward to trap the Slimer between the streams. But do not— repeat, DO NOT cross the streams.
  • When you have the Slimer over the trap, push the action button. The trap will pull him in. (Be precise. If you miss, you know what will happen.)
  • Every trapped Slimer increases your credit rating. The amount earned depends on how quickly you respond. Your accumulated credit is shown at the bottom of the screen.
IMPORTANT SAFETY TIPS
  • Hit the status button during the game for a status report.
  • Every escaped Slimer adds 300 to the city's PK energy
  • Beware that monolith of marshmallow monstrosity. When a MARSHMALLOW ALERT flashes at the bottom of the screen, the Romers will quickly run to form him. You must immediately hit the "Bait" key on the keyboard to drop a dollop of bait before he stomps any buildings.
END OF GAME: THE TEMPLE OF ZUUL

The game ends one of three ways:
  • The Gatekeeper and Keymaster join forces at the Temple of ZUUL and you have not earned more money than you originally started with.
  • Once the Gatekeeper and Keymaster have joined forces at ZUUL, and you do have sufficient credit, but you are not able to sneak two of your three Ghostbusters into the entrance of Zuul.
  • YOU successfully reach the top of the Temple of Zuul by sneaking two Ghostbusters into its entrance.
colinhoad

Post by colinhoad »

Woohoo! I've been looking forward to this announcement ever since I saw the preview of Ghostbusters at ABUG South :D

Thank you, Chris - what a tour de force! For anyone who's not already seen it, this is so much better than the C64 version. Chris has done an outstanding job!
nicolagiacobbe

Post by nicolagiacobbe »

Wonderful. I am somewhat limited for the game (due to age taking its toll), I found it charming but what really sparked was the development thread.
Thanks for all the effort poured into it.
tnash

Post by tnash »

Great stuff. I've never played the original C64/spectrum games so this will be a treat.
colinhoad

Post by colinhoad »

Sorry for what might be a basic question, Chris... but after playing this for a bit (and loving it!) am I right to conclude that the longer the route I plot to get to a building, the longer I spend on the highway driving my Ecto-1? Was just curious as I notice sometimes it takes ages to stop at the building after selecting it, but other times it's pretty quick.
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

Yes - that's correct. And the more expensive cars are faster so take less time to do the same distance.
Cybershark

Post by Cybershark »

Great to finally read the instructions :lol:
It's been fabulous to watch this one come together, and the enhanced version is the icing on the cake. Hadn't actually seen the NuLA in action before but this prompted me to grab an emulator that supported it :D
colinhoad wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:33 pmafter playing this for a bit (and loving it!)...
Hoping this means a video review is planned? This game really needs someone to show it off properly on youtube and big-it-up on the homebrew sites!
colinhoad

Post by colinhoad »

Cybershark wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:34 pm
colinhoad wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:33 pmafter playing this for a bit (and loving it!)...
Hoping this means a video review is planned? This game really needs someone to show it off properly on youtube and big-it-up on the homebrew sites!
You better believe it! Although Chris has already given me another idea for a video that will likely come first :lol:
lovebug

Post by lovebug »

:+1:
Image Image Image Image
bob147

Post by bob147 »

Great stuff, looking forward to playing this one. The original C64 game turned out remarkably well despite the insane schedule the devs were given to get it out there whilst the movie was still popular.
khisanth

Post by khisanth »

This is amazing! Really nicely done.

Played the C64 , Amstrad and Atari 800 versions and compares well to the C64 one. Definitely better than the Amstrad and Atari ones.

Very impressed.
merman

Post by merman »

This is brilliant, very playable!

Return to “miscellaneous new bbc and electron games”