AGON LIGHT 2 8 Bit Computer- KEYBOARD NOT WORKING ????

on-topic acorn-related discussions not covered by the other forums
Gelpack

AGON LIGHT 2 8 Bit Computer- KEYBOARD NOT WORKING ????

Post by Gelpack »

Hi
I received an Agon Light 2 8 Bit Computer from OLIMEX yesterday.

Its a later revision board which a USB-C for power, Has a Type USB-A for the Keyboard input instead of a PS2 connection. I have the VGA going through a HDMI Adapter into my HDMI Capture card displaying through OBS Studio just fine on my laptop.

So, when the Agon boots, I get the Messages
Agon Quark VDP Version 1.03
Agon Quark MOS Version 1.03

So the board is clearly powered and running, BUT. the keyboard which is a working keyboard otherwise, does not receive power from the USB port on the Agon Light, and I am wondering if there if the Agon Light Needs a links set or something or am I just having a dumb moment here ?

If anyone knows, please let me know.

Thanks
Software Engineer, Acorn BBC/Retro & Electronics Hobbyist
hoglet

Re: AGON LIGHT 2 8 Bit Computer- KEYBOARD NOT WORKING ????

Post by hoglet »

Gelpack wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:40 pm If anyone knows, please let me know.
Although the keyboard connector is USB-A, the protocol is actually PS/2, so it needs a PS/2 compatible USB keyboard, which many new ones aren't.

BigEd posted more info here.

Dave
Gelpack

Post by Gelpack »

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply, I've ordered a couple of keyboards which one at least should work hopefully.

I think the design team could have done a better job on this particular aspect to be honest, so far I have had to buy a HDMI converter which I knew I would need but I had no idea that it had to be PS2 compatible in this version of Agon Light.

But anyway it is what it is, and I do thank you so much for the reply and information, maybe I might get lucky with the keyboards I have ordered :D

All the best. I will report back when I have received them and had a chance to test it
Software Engineer, Acorn BBC/Retro & Electronics Hobbyist
aeberbach

Post by aeberbach »

How did you go? I recently got the Agon Lite 2 (Olimex version). Raspberry Pi, Topre Realforce, Cherry MX 2.0S, Keytronic 101 and even the old Mitsumi PS/2 using a PS/2 to USB adapter did not work. Luckily I was able to find the Code V2B which does work. It's got to be frustrating for people trying to find a PS/2 over USB keyboard... not a happy decision, no matter how hard USB support might have been.
haerfest

Post by haerfest »

You need to know where to look, but the FAQ links to a spreadsheet with working keyboards.

I think they should have gone with either a PS/2 connector or proper support for USB keyboards. This is literally the worst of both worlds.

Return to “general”