B-Em

discuss bbc micro and electron emulators (including mame) here!
BigEd

Re: B-Em

Post by BigEd »

I think f0 is F10, in some sense. (And f10 is F12, on my mac keyboard... although I am using jsbeeb which isn't B-em, so ignore me if I'm wrong!)
paulb

Post by paulb »

dr_d_gee wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:53 pm I have come across one issue with BeebEm, however: I can't find a way of mapping a key to f0 — and nor does it appear to be mapped to anything by default — at least when using the "logical" keyboard layout. I've managed to remap other keys (accidentally at first, then remapped them back again!) but nothing works with f0. Not widely used I imagine, although it is one of the keys used by *EDIT.
I haven't looked at B-Em very much, but I have reworked the keyboard layout dialogue in its sibling, Elkulator. There were a few issues that might also apply to B-Em in terms of which keys can be redefined, which host system keys are treated specially, and so on.

For example, Elkulator reserved F11 to open the emulator menu, I seem to recall, but I changed that (for Linux, at least) so that other keys could be used, too. F12 was being used for Break which, despite being a key on the Electron (and Beeb) keyboard, is handled separately to the keyboard matrix, and I changed the code to permit its redefinition as well. (F12 on Linux desktops seems to be used as a window management hotkey, irritatingly.)

The Allegro dialogue functionality is not exactly sophisticated, and arguably the emulator would benefit from separating the management features from the emulated system interface, but I would like to think that my improvements made it a bit more usable. I struggled with usability previously whereas I now know that I can get the behaviour I require.
Duglor

Post by Duglor »

B-EM on Raspberry Pi RetroPie
Duglor wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:18 pm
Duglor wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:09 pm I am running a b-em emulator on raspberry pi 4.71 retropie from an trusted anonymous source.

I will attach the .sh here in a zip file here to this msg.

Place it in
/home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/scriptmodules/emulators
or place it in :
/home/pi/RetroPie-Setup/ext/RetroPie-Share/scriptmodules/emulators

when you run setup and experimental options...there then becomes an option to install it.
f11 brings up menu
ALT-ESC quits back to emulationstation.
The emulation works though keyboard only unless the game natively supports a joystick, then you can use a joypad. It's odd.
Folly, the author, wrote to me...
"I read that you are promoting my module-script on stardot.
That's ok but make sure you link to my repository.
Then everyone knows where the module-script originally came from and people can dig in to improve it.

Here are the b-em ones :
https://github.com/FollyMaddy/RetroPie- ... /emulators

the allergro4.sh is for the retropie raspberry pi. I am using quite old source code that works very good on the raspberry pi's."

Here's my current b-em cfg for it. It runs in 800x600 for some reason with the gamma a bit dark.b-em-allegro4.zip

mouse_amx = 0
key_as = 0
vdfsenable = 0
ideenable = 0
scsienable = 0
displaymode = 3
ddtype = 0
ddvol = 2
cursid = 2
sidmethod = 0
soundwave = 0
soundfilter = 1
sndtape = 0
sndddnoise = 0
snddac = 0
sndmusic5000 = 0
sndbeebsid = 1
sndinternal = 1
tube6502speed = 1
tube = -1
model = 3
defaultwriteprotect = 1
disc0 = /home/pi/RetroPie/roms/zxspectrum/B/3D Grand Prix (1984)(Software Invastion)[h TSTH].ssd
video_resize = 0
fullborders = 2
fasttape = 1

Does anyone know how to lighten my picture up and i how i can get a better resolution than 800x600? My HDMI tv will switch to 800 resolution mode when playing this emulator, away from its usual higher resolution.
Attachments
b-em-allegro4.zip
(1.93 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
KenLowe

Post by KenLowe »

KenLowe wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:46 pm Does anyone have a working Windows x64 build of the B-Em Econet branch they would be willing to share?

https://github.com/stardot/b-em/tree/sf/econet2

I'm keen to do some debugging when loading code from Econet, but BeebEm keeps crashing on me when I use its built in debugger :( .
Still looking for a copy of this, if anyone could help? It would be nice to get a running copy of this before this years TNMoC Econet LAN party at Bletchley.

I would also like to see if there is a way of integrating Piconet into B-em (and BeebEm) so the emulators can connect to an Econet network via a physical Econet module instead of direct to the bridge via ethernet. This would then allow the emulators to talk directly to L3FS instead of having to hop via the PiEconetBridge.

TIA!
maniacminer

Post by maniacminer »

KenLowe wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:33 pm
KenLowe wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:46 pm Does anyone have a working Windows x64 build of the B-Em Econet branch they would be willing to share?

https://github.com/stardot/b-em/tree/sf/econet2

I'm keen to do some debugging when loading code from Econet, but BeebEm keeps crashing on me when I use its built in debugger :( .
Still looking for a copy of this, if anyone could help? It would be nice to get a running copy of this before this years TNMoC Econet LAN party at Bletchley.

I would also like to see if there is a way of integrating Piconet into B-em (and BeebEm) so the emulators can connect to an Econet network via a physical Econet module instead of direct to the bridge via ethernet. This would then allow the emulators to talk directly to L3FS instead of having to hop via the PiEconetBridge.

TIA!
Last time I had a go with this I got around 300 errors from building in VS2019 and VS2022 - I'm guessing its a combination of Allegro framework changes (I used nuget and got whatever the current version is) and the C++ language version - lots of old school errors about STRUCTs not being allowed on the LHS etc. but mainly missing elements like joy[]. I'd like a more up-to-date version of B-em - looking at this URL it seemed like a dead project 2012 - remember London Olympics? :lol: https://b-em.bbcmicro.com/ dunno if anyone on this list manages that URL, but it needs deleting or refreshing with the latest Windows build of B-em.
Big Model B Econet,Master 512,Electron,A3000,A540,Atom,Unilab 3-Chip Plus,6502,Z80,65C816,80186,32016,Matchbox,ARM7TDMI,Master 10/100,PiCoPro,Teletext,Music500,PiSCSI,Challenger3,Gotek,VideoNuLA,GoSDC,GoMMC,Integra-B,RGB2HDMIv4,Epson LQ-850 (for the win!)
andrew_rowland

Post by andrew_rowland »

B-Em 2.2 is the latest stable release. Endless 'nightly builds'/alpha code are one thing, but all those new features could do with being rolled into a tested, publishing-quality release you can actually use with a classroom of children (for example) without loads of crashes.
Coeus

Post by Coeus »

maniacminer wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:07 pm Last time I had a go with this I got around 300 errors from building in VS2019 and VS2022...
Is this B-Em alone or after adding Piconet? B-Em should be buildable with Visual Studio but I, personally, don't use it so some gcc-isms may have crept in.
maniacminer wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:07 pm...looking at this URL it seemed like a dead project 2012 - remember London Olympics? :lol: https://b-em.bbcmicro.com/ dunno if anyone on this list manages that URL, but it needs deleting or refreshing with the latest Windows build of B-em.
I have made posts in the past about a possible release of the code currently in Git but I have limited time for testing and certainly won't have the time to work out what should be an exhaustive test suite. It is something we should think about though. I also do investigate bugs raised on the GitHub. Finally there are Windows builds that are snapshots at a particular point in time and I can do these on request.
KenLowe

Post by KenLowe »

Coeus wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:11 pm Is this B-Em alone or after adding Piconet?
I'm not aware of anyone integrating Piconet into any emulator yet. It would be nice, though, as it would allow an emulated machine to connect to an Econet network, without having to rely on AUN, or PiEconetBridge.
Diminished

Post by Diminished »

Coeus wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:11 pm I have made posts in the past about a possible release of the code currently in Git but I have limited time for testing and certainly won't have the time to work out what should be an exhaustive test suite. It is something we should think about though. I also do investigate bugs raised on the GitHub. Finally there are Windows builds that are snapshots at a particular point in time and I can do these on request.
I have just resumed work on v3 of my tape patch (that adds tape write support) as I want to get it finished and done with. There is some automated testing capability associated with this patch.

Return to “8-bit acorn emulators”