30th Anniversary BBC and Electron Collection

contribute new/updated software missing from online archives
Michael Brown

Re: 30th Anniversary BBC and Electron Collection

Post by Michael Brown »

Created in February 2024... here is Games Disc 178.
Disc178.zip
(77.09 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
The disc is called Disc178.dsd so it can be loaded into a Datacentre on a real BBC without having to rename it.

The 18 games on this disc include...

Yewdow from Inufuto.
Bridg-It from The Micro User (6.09).
Treasure Hunt (One-Liner Game) from Beebug (3.07).
The House That James Built (Creating Adventures On Your BBC Micro) from Interface Publications.
Jewels And Caves from 8-Bit Software (Issue 46).
Solo Squash (Ten-Liner Game) (E) from The Electron User (5.01).
Monsterzap (Me & My Micro) (E) from Acornsoft/NEC/Yorkshire TV.
Hexanoids (Practical Computer Studies) from Cassell & Company Ltd.
Codeword (E) from Electron User Group (55).
Rescue (AKA Helicopter Rescue) (E) from The Electron User (3.04).
Elevenses (AKA Elevens) from Beebug (7.05).
Picket Line (AKA Picket!) from Leeds Soft.
Alien Invasion (Ten-Liner Game) (E) from The Electron User (5.05).
Nineteen Eightyfour (AKA 1984 Puzzle) from A & B Computing (1.13).
Monster Island (100 Programs for the BBC) from Prentice-Hall International.
Jet Flight (Cassette 50) from Cascade Games Ltd.
Patience (E) from The Electron User (4.09).
Aliens (Unreleased) by Mike Goldberg.

NOTE: Solo Squash, Monsterzap, Rescue and Alien Invasion are Electron titles that have been amended to run on a BBC Micro.
Also, Codeword and Patience are Electron titles that seem to work OK on a BBC Micro.
Lastly, Picket Line (AKA Picket!) has been amended to remove the option (printed in its inlay) of pressing ESCAPE to break into the listing in order to change to parameters of the game. You can still do this yourself if you want/know how, but not when playing via the !BOOT menu. Pressing ESCAPE now just returns you to the instruction page.

COMPILATIONS: Monsterzap from Acornsoft was released as part of their "Me & My Micro" compilation for the Electron. A book was also published by Yorkshire Television in association with The National Extension College.
Also, Picket Line (AKA Picket!) was released first on floppy disc as part of a compilation called "4 Games" along with Pontoon, Snake and The Lost Caverns (which are all currently MIA). The copy of Picket Line used here is from the cassette.
Lastly, Jet Flight from Cascade was released as part of their "Cassette 50" compilation.

INSTRUCTIONS: The instructions for Bridg-It, Treasure Hunt, The House That James Built, Solo Squash, Rescue, Elevenses, Alien Invasion, Nineteen Eightyfour, Monster Island and Patience were created from their magazines/books.
Also, the instructions for Codeword were created from info off the EUG disc.

SPECIALLY CREATED INSTRUCTIONS: The instructions for Monsterzap were not part of its original release and were created specially from its inlay and book.
Also, the instructions for Picket LIne (AKA Picket!) were not part of its original release and were created specially from a review in a magazine.

MAGAZINE TYPE-IN GAMES: The House That James Built and Nineteen Eightyfour were only available as a type-in from their magazines/books.

EASTER EGGS: If you press ESCAPE during some of the loaders and instructions, then you can skip to loading the game... None on this disc.

All original filenames have been kept where possible, but some have been changed where they conflict with the limitations of the Disc Filing System. Copy protection routines have been removed.
This disc has also been checked for *KEY related issues and is OK.

Mick.

Disc 179 will be out later this year!
Michael Brown

Post by Michael Brown »

Hi,
Just re-posted Disc167 in Section 28 as the author of Lady Bug has posted a newer version (3375).

Mick.
lovebug

Post by lovebug »

Michael Brown wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:48 am Hi,
Just re-posted Disc167 in Section 28 as the author of Lady Bug has posted a newer version (3375).

Mick.
Image Image Image Image
Michael Brown

Post by Michael Brown »

Hi,
I have finally been able to cobble together some instructions for Pharaoh's Curse from H-Soft from various sources off the internet as the original inlay is MIA.
I have re-posted D027 in Section 3.

Mick.
Michael Brown

Post by Michael Brown »

Hi,
Just re-posted Disc167 in Section 28 as the author of Lady Bug has posted a newer version (3380).

Mick.
Michael Brown

Post by Michael Brown »

Hi,
With many thanks to all of you who have started to post your original games discs on Stardot, I have been able, so far, to amend 4 of my old games (that had been altered at some point) and restore them to their original versions.

So I have re-posted...
Man-Hole on D067 in Section 5
Waiter! on D079 in Section 5
Fighter Patrol on D081 in Section 5
and
Cubit on D169 in Section 29

many thanks
Mick.
Michael Brown

Post by Michael Brown »

Hi,
Just re-posted Disc167 in Section 28 as the author of Lady Bug has posted a newer version (3388) to fix editor bug.

Mick.
Michael Brown

Post by Michael Brown »

Hi,
Just re-posted Disc118 in Section 13 as my copy of Pontoon from Beebug was broken. Now fixed and working.

Mick.
Michael Brown

Post by Michael Brown »

Hi,
Just re-posted Disc167 in Section 28 as the author of Lady Bug has posted a newer version (3392).

Mick.
Michael Brown

Post by Michael Brown »

Created in March 2024... here is Games Disc 179.
Disc179.zip
(78.3 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
The disc is called Disc179.dsd so it can be loaded into a Datacentre on a real BBC without having to rename it.

The 18 games on this disc include...

Truth (Best Of PCW Software) from Personal Computer World (PCW).
Boggles (Cassette 50) from Cascade Games Ltd.
SuperBoss (E) (C) (STD) from The Electron User (4.06).
Battleships from Popular Computing Weekly (1.29).
Red Skies Over Accrington (C) (Hack) from Vampyre Software.
Sheep Dog Trials (E) from The Electron User (6.04).
Acnean Mutoids from Soft Joe's Software.
Light Bikes from Taylorsoft. (Maybe MBC Tape 11?).
Deflector (E) from The Electron User (7.05).
3D-Golf (3D Software) from West Coast Personal Computers.
Kongo (Me & My Micro) (E) from Acornsoft/NEC/Yorkshire TV.
Othello (The Mape Tape) from Newman College/Mape.
Beeb Dice by ??? (Maybe MBC Tape 11?).
Pontoon from M & M Software.
Caterpillar (Five-Liner Game) from The Micro User (5.08).
Spacegolf (E) from Electron User Group (26).
Stealth from Beebug (10.06).
Shoot (Four-Liner Game) from The Micro User (5.08).

NOTE: Kongo and Spacegolf are Electron titles that have been amended to run on a BBC Micro.
Also, Sheep Dog Trials and Deflector are Electron titles that seem to work OK on a BBC Micro.

COMPACTED GAMES: SuperBoss from The Electron User has been compacted using PRES Advanced BASIC Editor in order to allow it to work correctly from disc at &1300 instead of &E00. It now allows you to save your score/position to disc.

COMPILATIONS: Boggles from Cascade was released as part of their "Cassette 50" compilation.
Also, Kongo from Acornsoft was released as part of their "Me & My Micro" compilation for the Electron. A book was also published by Yorkshire Television in association with The National Extension College.
Lastly, Othello from Newman College was released as part of the "Mape Tape" compilation.

HACKED GAMES: Red Skies Over Accrington from Vampyre Software has been hacked and compacted in order to work correctly from disc at &1300 instead of &E00 as it needs to load a data file in order to work.

INSTRUCTIONS: The instructions for SuperBoss, Battleships, Sheep Dog Trials, Deflector, Caterpillar, Stealth and Shoot were created from their magazines/books.

SPECIALLY CREATED INSTRUCTIONS: The instructions for Kongo were not part of its original release and were created specially from its inlay and book.
Also, the instructions for Acnean Mutoids were not part of its original release and were created specially from an advert and also from playing the game.

MAGAZINE TYPE-IN GAMES: Battleships was only available as a type-in from its magazine/book.

EASTER EGGS: If you press ESCAPE during some of the loaders and instructions, then you can skip to loading the game... None on this disc.

All original filenames have been kept where possible, but some have been changed where they conflict with the limitations of the Disc Filing System. Copy protection routines have been removed.
This disc has also been checked for *KEY related issues and is OK.

Happy Easter!
Mick.

PS. Many thanks to everyone who has started to post their old floppies on Stardot as new (old) games have been found within and some have been included here.

Disc 180 will be out later in the year!
Michael Brown

Post by Michael Brown »

Just re-posted D179 (above) thanks to an advert for Acnean Mutoids being posted on here. I have now included the contents of that advert into the instructions I created for this game.

Mick.
Michael Brown

Post by Michael Brown »

Hi all,
Just re-posted D083 in Section 5. This is thanks to Dave M getting a tape copy of Fruit Machine. Although the 2nd file doesn't load yet, I have been able to amend my files on this disc and can confirm that it is a Bug-Byte game written by Andrew Crump. I have kept the amendment by a forum member who corrected a graphics glitch due to OS 1.20 issues.

Mick.
Michael Brown

Post by Michael Brown »

Hi All,
Just re-posted D153 in Section 22 and D159 in Section 24 after Lee informed me of an error in Trek III and World Cup from a YouTube video called The History of BBC Micro Type-In Games - Episode 3 from 1983 part 1.

Mick.
Michael Brown

Post by Michael Brown »

Hi all,
Just re-posted D047 in Section 4. This is thanks to a ebay seller posting the full inlay instructions for Megarok from Bug-Byte. These instructions have been MIA for years and I had used a review for the instructions on my disc. The full inlay instructions are now finally included.

Mick.
Ukwebb

Post by Ukwebb »

Are these available as a single download anywhere?
BBC Bs, Master 128s, Master Compact, and Electrons, and an A3000 with an ARM3 :)

Don’t Panic and Always Carry a Towel
BlondMM

Post by BlondMM »

Cybershark

Post by Cybershark »

And will there be a 10th Anniversary Collection of the collection next month?
Or does it update to become the "40th Anniversary Collection"?

Hope I've not spoiled any intended surprises!
Michael Brown

Post by Michael Brown »

Hi,
Yes, it would have been nice to do a 10th or 40th edition, but as I am still adding missing bits and bobs to this collection, I cannot see it happening at the moment.

Mick.
Michael Brown

Post by Michael Brown »

Hi all,
Just re-posted D047 in Section 4 again. This is thanks to Lee spotting a few spelling mistakes in the newly found instructions to Megarok.
Mick.
Michael Brown

Post by Michael Brown »

Just re-posted Disc003 in Section 1.
Thanks to forum members playing Uncle Claude, a error in the code was detected which caused screen corruption during level 11 meaning the game was not playable and it looks like it was released this way.
Luckily, the code in the earlier version of the game called Electro Freddy released by Softspot, does not have this bug and works fine. Therefore, the correct code from that game has been ported over to patch Uncle Claude and the game should now work correctly for the first time in 40 years.

Mick.
Michael Brown

Post by Michael Brown »

Just re-posted Disc003 in Section 1 again.
This time I have been able to correct the spelling mistake in Uncle Claude to say "PRESS SPACE TO CONTINUE" instead of "CONTIUE".
I have also amended my version of ELECTRO FREDDY on AltD001 as this also featured this mistake.

Hopefully, Uncle Claude is now fully restored and now should look and perform as it should have back in 1984 if these 2 errors had been spotted and sorted before being released.

It only took 40 years!
Enjoy!
Mick.

Return to “archive submissions”