Vprotect

discuss general risc os software applications and utilities
Related forum: adventures

Dunkinator

Vprotect

Post by Dunkinator »

Does anyone know where you can download the free Pineapple VProtect module (v 4.03) from? There website appears to be down...
matt_nottm

Re: Vprotect

Post by matt_nottm »

The Wayback Machine has archives of the last and many previous versions.
Dunkinator

Post by Dunkinator »

Thanks I found it! Attached in case anyone else needs it!
Attachments
instv.zip
(12.04 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
sbadger

Post by sbadger »

matt_nottm wrote:The Wayback Machine has archives of the last and many previous versions.

Direct Link
https://web.archive.org/web/20060907224 ... /instv.zip
So many projects, so little time...
Trapper

Post by Trapper »

killer.arc.zip
Remove .zip after download and before transferring to RISC OS. This is an ArcFS/SparkFS ARChive not a zip file.
(809.46 KiB) Downloaded 248 times
Full version of Pineapple Virus !Killer circa 1997. You need to change your system clock to mid-1997/98 for this to run. Apart from that it is fully functional, and still the best RISC OS virus killing software out there.
philpem

Re: Vprotect (and Killer)

Post by philpem »

Here's a newer version of Killer -- the label claims this is V3.100 but the installer and Killer itself are version 3.101. It's dated 11th October 1998, but all the files on the disk are from 13th October 1998.

"This application can detect and remove all 209 known virus variants."

Unlike earlier versions, it's copy-protected.
Your best bet is to load the ADF file into ADFFS, then run or install it from there. You could also write it back to an ADFS 800K floppy if you wanted.

You'll want the wrapper script from here: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=12613&p=162103#p162103
Tweak it to set the date to Tue,13 Oct 1998.
Attachments
kill3100.zip
Killer 3.101, compressed ADF file
(244.78 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
Last edited by philpem on Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Questions about software preservation (BBC, RISC OS or other platforms)? Please feel free to ask.
Currently looking for RISC OS software to archive and preserve, please drop me a PM if you have any to offer.
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

I've finally got around to reverse compiling VProtect and fixing some of the issues it has. Attached is the first test release, should anyone like to test.

I don't have any sample virus' files, so if anyone has any they could throw at it and report back, that would be helpful.

Changes from 4.03:
  • Page Zero compliant. It now uses RMA space, instead of &7800 to pass parameters to Modules
  • Hopefully now RISC OS 5.0 compliant
  • No longer uses stacked code to RMLoad/RMRun Modules
  • Fixed a bug where it calls OS_Module with a corrupt R0 when trawling the Module list (reported here)
The next issue I'll look into is recoding it for ROM, so it can go into RISC OS 3.20

EDIT: Updated Module attached. I've now corrected the version that's displayed when the Wimp loads and fixed some pointers I'd missed.
Attachments
vprotect500.zip
(9.56 KiB) Downloaded 227 times
Last edited by sirbod on Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roland

Post by roland »

On eicar.com you can download a small and harmless test virus: Eicar (European Institute for Computer Anti-Virus Research).
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:
philpem

Post by philpem »

roland wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:59 pm On eicar.com you can download a small and harmless test virus: Eicar (European Institute for Computer Anti-Virus Research).
Killer / VProtect might be a tad too old to detect that.

Icon and Extend are probably the two most "harmless" ones, and were floating around in a great many disc images back in't'day.. the "Archie Game Emulation Webpage" (TAGEW) was a good one to hit up for uhh... virus test samples masquerading as games... I don't doubt that some of the TOSEC images contain similar.

There's also a way to make Killer freak out and detect Extend, involving inserting two bytes into the !Boot file of an application. Sadly I can't remember the specifics, but you can probably figure it out from the Kiwisoft Slayer source code if you /really/ want to.
Questions about software preservation (BBC, RISC OS or other platforms)? Please feel free to ask.
Currently looking for RISC OS software to archive and preserve, please drop me a PM if you have any to offer.
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

I've updated VProtect 5.00 in the post above to correct a few issues I spotted yesterday.
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Is it suitable for RISC OS 3.70? I can probably lay my hands on Icon or Extend virus, I had them all over the place at one point till I did a major clean-up.
SteveBagley

Post by SteveBagley »

If I remember correct, you can you trigger it to think there’s a particularly nasty virus by generating a service call with the hex value &DECAF or &C0FFEE. I can’t remember which virus it throws up but its dead easy to generate (using OS_ServiceCall iirc, it’s been 25 years since I used this trick).

Used to have great fun using this in the computer room at school dropping bits of code onto machines the teacher's were using to generate messages from VProtect, and then VKiller could never find the virus. I think we got to the point at one stage where we were using Econet remote subroutine calls to drop code onto machines that would then send code out to other machines on a different network (my school had several machines using Lingenuity's SCSIShare shared hard disk — we’d reverse engineered a way to make SWI calls over that).

Steve
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

BeebMaster wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:34 pm Is it suitable for RISC OS 3.70?
It should work on anything above RISC OS 2.
SteveBagley wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:21 am there’s a particularly nasty virus by generating a service call with the hex value &DECAF or &C0FFEE
Yes, I noted those in the code when I was checking it line by line.
Joka80

Post by Joka80 »

Does anybody know what the last version of the actual Killer application was? Not the VProtect module (4.0.2)
AndyMc1280

Post by AndyMc1280 »

Joka80 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:40 am Does anybody know what the last version of the actual Killer application was? Not the VProtect module (4.0.2)
No, its a bit old and you have to set your system date/time to 1998. Oh if it were that easy in real life :lol: . SirBod probably will - He's done some poking.
:!: Also worth noting that the VProtect module has been updated to 5.00
sirbod wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:42 am Yes, I noted those in the code when I was checking it line by line.
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

AndyMc1280 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:44 pm SirBod probably will - He's done some poking.
I've not looked at !Killer, it's not really something I've ever needed.

My "poking" was purely in VProtect to fix various fatal bugs which were affecting both ADFFS and RISC OS 5. Although the later dropped it from the OS, ADFFS is bundled with the latest version and updates the Module if it's already loaded.

Return to “32-bit acorn software: other”