Apache Valley - possible new Electron game

developing/porting a new game or gaming framework? post in here!
rasto1968

Apache Valley - possible new Electron game

Post by rasto1968 »

Inspired by my recent visit to the ABUG south meetup during which I had many great conversations I've made a very early start on something that I last looked into doing back in the mid 1980's - namely a helicopter based shooter. Tentative title is "Apache Valley". My initial thoughts are a night time mission flying down an endless and hopefully vertically scrolling valley shooting at various bad guys, avoiding missiles and picking up fuel/ammo along the way. Another option would be a Starship Command type view and maybe ditching the valley aspect - so an open desert ?

I had some spare time today so decided to see if I could get a passable animation of a helicopter in flight. Current plans are for Mode 4 as I'm hoping to have a decent amount of things on the screen and would like them to be as defined as possible - so no fat pixels and sadly no colour.

So after an hour or so of fiddling with BeebSpriter for the first time ever, here's my attempt at a 16x16 single colour Apache gunship...
apache-test-1.gif
apache-test-1.gif (27.96 KiB) Viewed 278 times

I've got a long way to go and judging by the pace of my other pet projects progress is going to be slow - but I've made a start. Next step is to get a sprite routine running to see what the helicopter looks like when moving around the screen - expect an update some time in 2025 ;)
tricky

Re: Apache Valley - possible new Electron game

Post by tricky »

Looks good.
Are you planning on having the other sprites that big?
Mode 4 has less byes to push around, but for 16x16 (17x16 for free if moving at 1pix). That is 3 byes wide and 5 for mode 1. You also need 8 copies for pixel movement so it takes the same memory as the for copies for mode 1. Not trying to change your mind as you still have the extra 8/10k for the screen.
Somewhere I posted the max sprites for the different situations.
rasto1968

Post by rasto1968 »

Thanks Tricky.

I'm now in the great position of knowing more about what I don't know :) Lots to unpack from what you've mentioned above.

1. I hadn't given much thought yet to enemy sprite sizes, but I can imagine needing a mixture of pixels (bullets), small 8x8 sprites for missiles/people and large 16x16 for bigger enemies (tanks)

2. 17x16 size, this is new to me - sounds like more research is required

3. Mode 4 Vs Mode 1 - as this is an Electron game I kind of assumed that mode 1 wasn't an option due to speed issues. Much as I would like the possibility of colours, I think this game will need to be fast & smooth. I've managed to come up with a scenario that fits 2 colours - the missions all take place at night, everything looks green using night vision goggles :)

I will seek out your post(s) on sprite sizes and numbers of sprites.

I went down a rabbit hole of reading up on scrolling techniques and watching YouTube videos of Firetrack - I'm going to need a fair amount of playing around and tech tests to figure all of this out.
tricky

Post by tricky »

Sorry, I missed that it wa an electron game! From my limit knowledge, mode 4 is the right choice :)
My posts were about the beeb.
0xCODE has done some lovely scrolling on the elk.
rasto1968

Post by rasto1968 »

tricky wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:03 am 0xCODE has done some lovely scrolling on the elk.
Yes, I'm hoping he will be able to provide some tech advice :)

I've had another idea for a game enemy - an end of level 'boss' where you have to defeat an enemy helicopter. This can just be a mirror image of the players helicopter.

Also thinking more about the game play - I might have cross hairs some distance in front of the players helicopter that show where the bullets will hit - as the gun is "air to ground". Players missiles will track enemies, but are limited in number - they can be restocked by hovering over an ammo crate.

I was thinking about having your fuel running out (restock by hovering over fuel drums) but maybe infinite fuel is a good starting point.

Similarly player damage, it might be nice that the helicopter can survive several small (bullet) hits but not missiles.

So much to think about before I've even written some code :)
tnash

Post by tnash »

I love games where the player can optionally rescue civilians for bonuses and power-ups. A helicopter game would be perfect for that.
Cybershark

Post by Cybershark »

rasto1968 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:54 pm Another option would be a Starship Command type view and maybe ditching the valley aspect - so an open desert ?
Always found Starship Command a bit monotonous. Would be cool to see something open though, with enemy bases, refuel points, objectives, etc :)
rasto1968

Post by rasto1968 »

tnash wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:49 am I love games where the player can optionally rescue civilians for bonuses and power-ups. A helicopter game would be perfect for that.
Kind of like a top down version of chop lifter then? Maybe, but the Apache isn't known for it's passenger carrying abilities ;)
Cybershark wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:48 pm Always found Starship Command a bit monotonous. Would be cool to see something open though, with enemy bases, refuel points, objectives, etc :)
If I can't figure out scrolling then it will probably revert to this, but this could end up being the 'sequel' game 'Apache Desert' ;)
tnash

Post by tnash »

rasto1968 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm
tnash wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:49 am I love games where the player can optionally rescue civilians for bonuses and power-ups. A helicopter game would be perfect for that.
Kind of like a top down version of chop lifter then? Maybe, but the Apache isn't known for it's passenger carrying abilities ;)
I clearly know nothing about helicopters, but surely you can find room for a friendly civilian who just happens to be able to upgrade your apache with extra homing missiles :lol:

Return to “new projects in development: games”