Off-topic-ish. Microdigital Omega.

discuss the archimedes & risc pc, peripherals and risc os/risc os on pi
daveejhitchins

Re: Off-topic-ish. Microdigital Omega.

Post by daveejhitchins »

IMG_1716.jpg

I anyone would like this case (?) it'll be available in the near future! Otherwise scrap . . .

Dave H.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

AndyMc1280's Omega is back with me. For repair. Repair? Yeah. You see, Andy's the kind of guy who likes to turn it up to 11, and 12, and 13...
So, unhappy with a "piffling" 256MB RAM (Cos RISC OS really needs anything like that ever, eh?) he decided to put 1GB DIMM in it.
This 1GB DIMM...
IMG_1525x.jpg
To mis-quote Mr Musk... "What an absolute unit!"

And the beast is double-sided...
IMG_1526x.jpg
What could go wrong? Well, the fact that the Omega's back with me suggests something did indeed go rather wrong.
You see, Omega's RAM power supply arrangement is a bit ... "odd" ...
AllRamPower.PNG
The two DIMMs and the support logic are all driven via a single inductor.
Said inductor is rated at 3.5A... and the docs do actually say that Omega's only validated to "about 17 devices" on a DIMM (probably in total).
To make matters (much) worse, the actual layout of the board is really very poor - with that single ferrite bead being fed via a single via and relatively thin track.
Can you guess where we're going yet?
Kaboom-land...
IMG_1423x.jpg
According to Andy, poor little L19 lit up and smouldered. It was fortunate the side of the case was off, and he noticed quickly and was able to turn off the power quickly.

Oh dear. So here's a wee repair story...

Let's remove L19:
IMG_E1424.JPG
Most of the input pad has been blown away. You can see what a completely pathetic little input track and single via there is to feed the whole RAM section though - just bizarre board layout.

To attempt to improve things, we don't just solder-plug the via, we'll add a whole extra conductor right back to the input socket, which is helpfully nearby:
IMG_E1519.JPG
And add a fresh L19 (this time rated at 6A!). The jaunty angle makes the best of the available remaining pad and gets the component right on to that single plugged input via. I was going to add the wire as a 'wrap around' but was actually able to feed it through the drilled-out via and make a relatively inconspicuous job (from the top side, at least).
IMG_E1518.JPG
Everything back together and re-tested - all's good. Phew.

Now, despite since trying a more modest 512MB DIMM, it only shows up as 256MB as RobC previously noted ... but damnit, 256MB is still a completely ridiculous amount of RAM for RISC OS so, Andy, please, just be happy it's working again and leave it alone eh? [-X :lol:
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

I once happened to meet the PCB layout guy . . . A young student "helping" out. It's a common error with newbies - that's power tracking. Not his fault! DaveP should have spotted that when reviewed?

Dave H.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

daveejhitchins wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:18 am I once happened to meet the PCB layout guy . . . A young student "helping" out. It's a common error with newbies - that's power tracking. Not his fault! DaveP should have spotted that when reviewed?
I forgot we had the gerber data (sadly no original sources) but now I've looked we can see the 3v3 is actually a whole plane, so my wire mod is fairly redundant really - it's just that single via and top tiny track segment that's the problem. An easy thing to miss in review. I'm still baffled by the use of a single choke for the entire memory system though - I'd have thought a whole slew would be more appropriate.
3v3.PNG
AndyMc1280

Post by AndyMc1280 »

IanJeffray wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:42 pm Now, despite since trying a more modest 512MB DIMM, it only shows up as 256MB as RobC previously noted ... but damnit, 256MB is still a completely ridiculous amount of RAM for RISC OS so, Andy, please, just be happy it's working again and leave it alone eh? [-X :lol:
Yes dad #-o

I'll find something else to break thats a bit less OMGWTF RARE :lol:
Arnold the frog

Post by Arnold the frog »

IAMNOTDEFECTIVE wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:06 pm I got nothing meaningful to add... however I want to congratulate you on obtaining an Omega in the first place even if it was worse for wear! I've been searching for one for 8ish years and never saw one pop up - so you've done better then me! ^^"

At this rate I think it'll be easier waiting for those mITX Pi boards R-Comp or ROSBits are working on and try to produce a Omega-lookalike case and pretend I own one. :lol:
This could be your lucky day. I have one that I have to get rid of as we are planning to emigrate and unfortunately I can't take it with me. Booted it up the other day for the first time since 2009 having checked the battery wasn't leaking. There is an error which states "PCIManager runout out of IO area 2 allocation space". This error is repeated several times in a slightly different way and the machine hangs waiting for the hard disc. pressing reset can sometimes bring it to life and it boots into RiscOS 4.02 (I think). The hard disc is still good and the battery is clearly charging up as the clock retains the time and date overnight.
It comes with the original CD and the original keyboard.
Memory wise, it has a 128MB stick in one slot and a 512MB stick in the other and reports 256MB in the task display.
The screen I used is the original iiyama vision master pro 455 (which still looks quite good).
I can't find the original mouse but an HP optical one worked without issue.

Let me know if you or anyone else is interested.
AndyMc1280

Post by AndyMc1280 »

Arnold the frog wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:52 pm Let me know if you or anyone else is interested.
Im Intrigued, what firmware does it run ?
baz4096

Post by baz4096 »

I would also be interested if you’re looking to sell it?
helpful

Post by helpful »

Arnold the frog wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:52 pm There is an error which states "PCIManager runout out of IO area 2 allocation space".
IIRC I had this error years ago and it was caused by one of the PCI cards not quite being seated properly. Simply pushing the card in more firmly fixed it.

Bryan.
RISC OS User Group Of London - https://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show - https://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/
Arnold the frog

helpful wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:28 am
Arnold the frog wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:52 pm There is an error which states "PCIManager runout out of IO area 2 allocation space".
IIRC I had this error years ago and it was caused by one of the PCI cards not quite being seated properly. Simply pushing the card in more firmly fixed it.

Bryan.
Thanks Bryan. That sorted that out very quickly and it now boots without a problem
Arnold the frog

AndyMc1280 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:40 pm
Arnold the frog wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:52 pm Let me know if you or anyone else is interested.
Where would I find that information?
Arnold the frog

baz4096 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:55 pm I would also be interested if you’re looking to sell it?
I need to make a working copy of the hard drive as it has a lot of my earlier stuff on it which I'd like to keep. I also need to clear off a load of data from when I used it to run my property maintenance business. Once I've got that sorted I can arrange to meet up with you. I'm usually in your area once a week as my dad still lives there.
baz4096

Post by baz4096 »

Arnold the frog wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:42 pm I need to make a working copy of the hard drive as it has a lot of my earlier stuff on it which I'd like to keep. I also need to clear off a load of data from when I used it to run my property maintenance business. Once I've got that sorted I can arrange to meet up with you. I'm usually in your area once a week as my dad still lives there.
That would be amazing, thank you very much!
AndyMc1280

Post by AndyMc1280 »

Arnold the frog wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:38 pm
I think theres an applet in configure / apps. not sure. Been a while since I had my machine on, will look tomorrow.
IAMNOTDEFECTIVE

Post by IAMNOTDEFECTIVE »

Arnold the frog wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:52 pm This could be your lucky day. I have one that I have to get rid of as we are planning to emigrate and unfortunately I can't take it with me. Booted it up the other day for the first time since 2009 having checked the battery wasn't leaking. There is an error which states "PCIManager runout out of IO area 2 allocation space". This error is repeated several times in a slightly different way and the machine hangs waiting for the hard disc. pressing reset can sometimes bring it to life and it boots into RiscOS 4.02 (I think). The hard disc is still good and the battery is clearly charging up as the clock retains the time and date overnight.
It comes with the original CD and the original keyboard.
Memory wise, it has a 128MB stick in one slot and a 512MB stick in the other and reports 256MB in the task display.
The screen I used is the original iiyama vision master pro 455 (which still looks quite good).
I can't find the original mouse but an HP optical one worked without issue.

Let me know if you or anyone else is interested.
Hey Arnold,
Just saw this message as I haven't checked the forums since June. I am interested if you still have that Omega?
Thank you in advance! :)
AndyMc1280

Post by AndyMc1280 »

AndyMc1280 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:29 pm
Arnold the frog wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:38 pm

I think theres an applet in configure / apps. not sure. Been a while since I had my machine on, will look tomorrow.
Tomorrow being nearly two months later :oops: #-o sorry.

F12 in desktop and type *Help Macrodigitalutils - Press return
Arnold the frog

Hi again after many months. I'd got no idea moving abroad was going to be so time consuming. Anyone interested in the Omega computer? I need to shift it before Thursday the 30th August. Free to a good home. It's now clear of all personal Data (I think). I'll be checking messages up until then.
baz4096

Post by baz4096 »

Yes please, if that would be OK?

I'm based in Shipley and could come collect any time from Saturday onwards.
baz4096

Post by baz4096 »

AndyMc1280 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:13 pm F12 in desktop and type *Help Macrodigitalutils - Press return
Hi Andy

Arnoldthefrog very kindly passed this machine onto me. It had *just* started with a battery leak and all 12 SMD electrolytic capacitors were showing early signs of leaking, so it’s had a complete recap and is now up and running again.
The output of help microd. is:

Module is: MicroDigitalUtl 1.15h (09 Dec 2004) for Omega (c)2000-4 MicroDigital Ltd.

Chris
AndyMc1280

Post by AndyMc1280 »

baz4096 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:33 pm
AndyMc1280 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:13 pm F12 in desktop and type *Help Macrodigitalutils - Press return
Hi Andy

Arnoldthefrog very kindly passed this machine onto me. It had *just* started with a battery leak and all 12 SMD electrolytic capacitors were showing early signs of leaking, so it’s had a complete recap and is now up and running again.
The output of help microd. is:

Module is: MicroDigitalUtl 1.15h (09 Dec 2004) for Omega (c)2000-4 MicroDigital Ltd.

Chris
Hi Chris

Thanks for that - sorry for the late reply, been away from my machines for the last month. Funeral, holiday and covid meh.

That's good you managed to save/recap it. It looks like your machine has a later Firmware than mine, which was 1.xx f . I'll check when I can put the machine back on. The Questions now are:
1) Did it come like that out the box - Suspect not, mine had several update flash files on the CD and HDD
2) If there is a file, can I have a copy please ? :lol:
3) If there ISN'T a flash file, can one be constructed ?

Andrew
baz4096

Post by baz4096 »

AndyMc1280 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:01 pm Thanks for that - sorry for the late reply, been away from my machines for the last month. Funeral, holiday and covid meh.
Oof, that's a rough month, hope the holiday helped.
AndyMc1280 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:01 pm That's good you managed to save/recap it. It looks like your machine has a later Firmware than mine, which was 1.xx f .
Thanks! Mine has a serial of 175, and is an Issue 2 board - I think relatively late in the production life? Could be wrong.
AndyMc1280 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:01 pm 1) Did it come like that out the box - Suspect not, mine had several update flash files on the CD and HDD
2) If there is a file, can I have a copy please ? :lol:
3) If there ISN'T a flash file, can one be constructed ?
Arnoldthefrog mentioned he used it frequently as part of his accounting and invoicing system BITD.
I've had a cursory look through the included HDD and didn't spot anything that looked like it could be a firmware update. I was also given an install CD which also doesn't look to include any firmware.

Does your machine have a firmware utility that I could use to extract mine?
I'm unsure if there were any major differences in the hardware revisions; if yours is different, would it be wise to attempt updating the firmware with a potentially incompatible one?

Does the USB & the NIC work on your machine by the way? I suspect I'm missing some modules and config on mine.

Chris

Edit: Here's my ISO rip of the "Omega Utilities" CD that I received with the machine.
AndyMc1280

Post by AndyMc1280 »

baz4096 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:19 pm

Does the USB & the NIC work on your machine by the way? I suspect I'm missing some modules and config on mine.

Chris
The NIC does, there are drivers on here somewhere. The USB was never implemented sadly, although it was apparently developed by simtec, I dont know if there were attempts to bodge something.
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

AndyMc1280 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:55 pm there are drivers on here somewhere.
Somewhere? Just a few posts back up this thread! :roll:
AndyMc1280

Post by AndyMc1280 »

IanJeffray wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:23 pm
AndyMc1280 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:55 pm there are drivers on here somewhere.
Somewhere? Just a few posts back up this thread! :roll:
I blame the heat :oops: :lol: :lol:
baz4096

Post by baz4096 »

Thanks chaps, I did find those and have the module loaded and IP assigned, however it’s unable to ping anything except for localhost. I suspect the Ethernet was never used for internet access on this machine as the only TCP/IP adapter showing up was serial ppp. I need to sit down and do some reconfiguring of the !Boot, but before then I need to diagnose the PCF8583 as it’s not retaining settings nor keeping time.
AndyMc1280

Post by AndyMc1280 »

Microutils115f.zip
as rw
(7.47 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
- Because somebody asked for it elsewhere - Microdigital Utils 1.15f from my machine.

If folks want to extract and add their later versions I can add them here. :D

Return to “32-bit acorn hardware”