Shipping Acorns across the Atlantic - any tips?

on-topic acorn-related discussions not covered by the other forums
davehill

Shipping Acorns across the Atlantic - any tips?

Post by davehill »

So I am heading back to Texas in the summer, after two years back in the UK. I miss the sunshine, warmth, and lack of rain :-D

Last time I moved, I packed my Acorns into a couple of these before they went into a container:
HDX-Storage-Totes-492220746.jpg
As the Acorns are getting older and older, and more fragile, I was wondering if anyone had any other tips or recommendations? I am a little more nervous now, after the recent failure of my A5000 and subsequent repair by Ian Jeffray, being back out in the US would make it harder for him to come to my rescue again :-D

I have 1xA5000, 1xRISC PC, 1xA4000, 1xBBC Master, 1xBBC B and an Electron. The A4 will be bubbled wrapped and took with me in a carry on case because those things are totally fragile.

Looking for tips from anyone?
BBC Master, BBC Model B, Electron, A5000, A4000, RISC PC, PIBridge, Piconet, and too many Raspberry PI's and now an A4 😁
jimster

Re: Shipping Acorns across the Atlantic - any tips?

Post by jimster »

Maybe use packing foam or furniture foam that is cut to hold the computers in place so they are not rattling around inside the boxes. The foam can absorb any knocks while the computers are transported.
baz4096

Post by baz4096 »

Also consider some bubblewrap or foam inside the machines themselves, if there's anything that might be able to work loose. For example Ferranti heatsinks, RAM/ROM boards, OS switcher ROMs, basically anything that can become disconnected and bounce around causing damage to itself or the machine.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Because plug in internal expansions or add-ons can work free with vibration or sudden sharp motions, actually I would recommend any plug in internal expansions or add-ons be unplugged and removed.

Before disconnecting, ensure that you take notes and photos so that you know how to reconnect them after the journey.

Then each expansion or add-on can be individually wrapped/protected.

You can get foam packaging that is suitable for the machines. I suggest a minimum of 40mm between each computer and the box side/bottom/top or other item.

Put each item in its own plastic bag. And if there are multiple items in a box, use cardboard to spread the weight.

Mark
spanners

Post by spanners »

I once received a Risc PC returned from the US by our sales guy just slapping a postage sticker on it.

It was scuffed, as you might imagine. The CD-ROM drive had come free of its insufficient mount points and had slid straight back into the StrongARM, smashing off three of the surface mount caps. Fortunately a friend and colleague was a keen micro solderist and soon had it mended.

D.

Return to “general”