Viglen DSDFS

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
Bitstik

Viglen DSDFS

Post by Bitstik »

A recent eBay buy came with this fitted. I’m trying to get the 5 1/4” drives working- didn’t help that the seller put no packing in the box…everything loose despite expensive postage but that’s another story.

I’ve googled and found a review on Chris’ acorns
https://chrisacorns.computinghistory.or ... rmance.pdf

But I must admit I’ve never heard of it before and was wondering what the view of it was 40 years later.
Screen shows this:
IMG_4680.jpeg
Many thanks in advance
Pernod

Re: Viglen DSDFS

Post by Pernod »

I wasn't aware of DSDFS and don't believe it's been archived, so a ROM image would be appreciated.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
Bitstik

Post by Bitstik »

Of course…..
I have a tl866 + - I presume I just read the rom, save the file and post the file here?
I have an MMFS on the bbc as well so could so just make an image that way- is there any preference?
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

Bitstik wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:50 pm I have a tl866 + - I presume I just read the rom, save the file and post the file here?
Prefer you use the reader, and post file here, thanks.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
Bitstik

Post by Bitstik »

Here is the file: Please let me know if any issues
Attachments
VIGdsdfs.zip
(11.5 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

Bitstik wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:53 pm Here is the file: Please let me know if any issues
Thanks, looks good. Interesting to see it's based on Watford's DDFS 1.40.
- Nigel

Bitstik

Post by Bitstik »

Yes- that was mentioned in the review I posted as well.
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

Which disk interface is in your machine? As DSDFS is based on Watford's DDFS I'd assume a Watford DDB2 board, or did Viglen provide something else?
- Nigel

Bitstik

Post by Bitstik »

This is the disk interface
IMG_4627.jpeg
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

Bitstik wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:45 pm This is the disk interface
Looks functionally identical to the Watford DDB2 interface, just missing the Watford branding. I can't imagine many of these were sold, I've checked Viglen adverts and they mainly sold the Acorn 8271 interface with their floppy drives, but some adverts do mention the Viglen double density interface with no further details. The Acorn User review is the only evidence the interface existed.

The interface will work with the Watford DDFS if you wanted to upgrade, versions 1.40, 1.50, 1.53 (not 1.54T) from https://acorn.huininga.nl/pub/roms/Watf ... nics/DDFS/ will work.

I wonder what the story behind it is, did the DDFS 1.40 author provide to Viglen on the side, or did Watford provide Viglen with the unbranded boards? We know that both the Viglen and Watford versions were available at the same time.

As this is the only known copy of DSDFS to exist could you also post a photo of the ROM?
- Nigel

Bitstik

Post by Bitstik »

I’m afraid it has no markings -
IMG_4683.jpeg
I found some interesting docs with the machine- a receipt for the two uncased drives: £287.50 in 1984!

IMG_4684.jpeg

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”