Best Enveloper shaper with SSD or code?

bbc micro/electron/atom/risc os coding queries and routines
alecb

Best Enveloper shaper with SSD or code?

Post by alecb »

I just want to add a quiet clicking sound, like a Geiger counter to my game but the Envelope statement is a little overwhelming. I see mention of 'Shaper' utilities that can help experiment with sounds but I'm unable to find any. Is there a shaper on an SSD that I can download the would allow me to visualize the envelope, modify and try it? Thanks.
tricky

Re: Best Enveloper shaper with SSD or code?

Post by tricky »

I'm no good at sound, os, basic or direct manipulation!

You could book the periodic sound channels frequency to the tone channel and play random low frequency frequency tones to give a slow clicking sound.
alecb

Post by alecb »

Hi 'tricky',
Thank you for the reply. You seem to claim that you are 'no good' at sound, and other things, but I just played TrickyArcadeSpaceInvaders from your downloads and it is really good! Did you write that?
Oddly enough, the background 'pulse' played in that game, especially when it is rapid as the invaders get close to the ground' is close to what I am looking for. Do you have that ENVELOPE and SOUND parameters that which I could use, or use as a starting point.
Thanks.
tricky

Post by tricky »

That is one of mine, but because I'm no good at sound, I usually write a converter and borrow the sound from another version. For space invaders, I had to resort to playing samples for you sorting and the alien exploding :)
I'll try to remember but as I always drive the sound chip directly, the closest is likely to be 3 or 4 20 seems times one after the other. Iirc, the heat beat sound is 3 or 4 different short sounds that fire in turn.

I started writing invaders for a basic programming competition, so there might be the sound version of some of the effects in an earlier post.
TobyLobster

Post by TobyLobster »

viewtopic.php?p=43883#p43883
Maybe this would help? I’ve not tried it. There is a ROM somewhere that does a similar job if I recall.

Return to “programming”