Raspberry Pi to 1MHz and Tube bus interfaces and Acorn Electron AP5

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
!FOZ!

Raspberry Pi to 1MHz and Tube bus interfaces and Acorn Electron AP5

Post by !FOZ! »

Is anyone using the Raspberry Pi to 1MHz and Tube bus interfaces with an Acorn Electron Plus 1 and AP5 cartridge? Either to emulate a ADFS HD and/or Tube experience. I've got these for my Beebs and understand the power situation. The little cable that comes with the devices to pass power from the CoPro to the 1MHz device is not quite long enough. This is given the 1MHZ bus and CoPro connectors are further apart than on the Beeb, but not a big deal to make new one. Just wanted to know before I invest / test further. Thanks.
Electron,+1,+3
BBC B,GoTek,Boobip 64k SRAM + 64k EEPROM,Speech, BeebSID,VideoNula,Pi Copro
BBC Master,BeebSCSI,UPUSFS,MultiOS,GoTek,DS12887 RTC,VideoNula,Pi Corpo,Mouse,MasterSD,User Port x2
A3000,GoTek,4MB,Watford IDE,CF HD
A5000 Alpha,4MB,CF HD
mark71

Re: Raspberry Pi to 1MHz and Tube bus interfaces and Acorn Electron AP5

Post by mark71 »

!FOZ! wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:35 pm Is anyone using the Raspberry Pi to 1MHz and Tube bus interfaces with an Acorn Electron Plus 1 and AP5 cartridge? Either to emulate a ADFS HD and/or Tube experience. I've got these for my Beebs and understand the power situation. The little cable that comes with the devices to pass power from the CoPro to the 1MHz device is not quite long enough. This is given the 1MHZ bus and CoPro connectors are further apart than on the Beeb, but not a big deal to make new one. Just wanted to know before I invest / test further. Thanks.
Yes, have been testing a Pi1Mhz from Ken and plugging a tube Co-Pro in at the same time, the cable supplied by ken does fit, need to take cover off and pass it down the top, will add a pic.

Needs ADFS 1.0 as supplied by the Plus 3, later Electron versions dropped the SCSI support. which is annoying as would like a E00 version with just the SCSI support. Been looking at the ADFS source code wondering if it could be re-compiled to create a E00 version for the Electron for Harddisk support only.

Been testing this and the BeebSCSI on the new Electron Plus 1's being developed with Dave of RHardware.

Mark

Attachement to AP5
IMG_1538.jpg
Electron Setup, so far have 3 raspberry Pi Zeros, need to add two more to the User Ports..
IMG_1536.jpg
Last edited by mark71 on Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KenLowe

Post by KenLowe »

I've actually supplied the Pi1MHz with various lengths of power cable over the years. What I currently supply is a 15cm cable.

@!FOZ! - assuming you've got a shorter cable, I can possibly post out one of these cables to you. Alternatively, I could possibly post out a 20cm extension cable. However, cost for shipping might be prohibitive if I need to post to the USA, and it might be easier for you to source directly. For example you could pick up the following 2P, M/F, 20cm extension:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002771319474.html
rmbrowngr

Post by rmbrowngr »

mark71 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:24 am Needs ADFS 1.0 as supplied by the Plus 3, later Electron versions dropped the SCSI support. which is annoying as would like a E00 version with just the SCSI support. Been looking at the ADFS source code wondering if it could be re-compiled to create a E00 version for the Electron for Harddisk support.
Would love to see a version of ADFS, with SCSI support, with page at E00. I too have a BeebSCSI.

Have you seen this version of ADFS for the Electron? https://github.com/hoglet67/ADFS130
Richard B
Acorn Electrons issue 4 and 6, MRB, Plus 1 x2, Plus 3, AP6 x2, AP5, Pegasus 400, BeebSCSI, Gotek, Raspberry Pi Co-processor, GoSDC MBE.
BBC B+ 64K (128K upgraded) with Duel OS, Raspberry Pi Co-processor and Gotek.
mark71

Post by mark71 »

rmbrowngr wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:54 pm
mark71 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:24 am Needs ADFS 1.0 as supplied by the Plus 3, later Electron versions dropped the SCSI support. which is annoying as would like a E00 version with just the SCSI support. Been looking at the ADFS source code wondering if it could be re-compiled to create a E00 version for the Electron for Harddisk support.
Would love to see a version of ADFS, with SCSI support, with page at E00. I too have a BeebSCSI.

Have you seen this version of ADFS for the Electron? https://github.com/hoglet67/ADFS130
Interesting, just need to figure out to compile it....
!FOZ!

Post by !FOZ! »

KenLowe wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:56 am I've actually supplied the Pi1MHz with various lengths of power cable over the years. What I currently supply is a 15cm cable.

@!FOZ! - assuming you've got a shorter cable, I can possibly post out one of these cables to you. Alternatively, I could possibly post out a 20cm extension cable. However, cost for shipping might be prohibitive if I need to post to the USA, and it might be easier for you to source directly. For example you could pick up the following 2P, M/F, 20cm extension:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002771319474.html
Thats so kind of you - but I can for sure build my own.
Electron,+1,+3
BBC Master,BeebSCSI,UPUSFS,MultiOS,GoTek,DS12887 RTC,VideoNula,Pi Corpo,Mouse,MasterSD,User Port x2
A5000 Alpha,4MB,CF HD
!FOZ!

Post by !FOZ! »

mark71 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:24 am
!FOZ! wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:35 pm Is anyone using the Raspberry Pi to 1MHz and Tube bus interfaces with an Acorn Electron Plus 1 and AP5 cartridge? Either to emulate a ADFS HD and/or Tube experience. I've got these for my Beebs and understand the power situation. The little cable that comes with the devices to pass power from the CoPro to the 1MHz device is not quite long enough. This is given the 1MHZ bus and CoPro connectors are further apart than on the Beeb, but not a big deal to make new one. Just wanted to know before I invest / test further. Thanks.
Yes, have been testing a Pi1Mhz from Ken and plugging a tube Co-Pro in at the same time, the cable supplied by ken does fit, need to take cover off and pass it down the top, will add a pic.

Needs ADFS 1.0 as supplied by the Plus 3, later Electron versions dropped the SCSI support. which is annoying as would like a E00 version with just the SCSI support. Been looking at the ADFS source code wondering if it could be re-compiled to create a E00 version for the Electron for Harddisk support only.

Been testing this and the BeebSCSI on the new Electron Plus 1's being developed with Dave of RHardware.

Mark

Attachement to AP5
IMG_1538.jpg
Electron Setup, so far have 3 raspberry Pi Zeros, need to add two more to the User Ports..
IMG_1536.jpg
Thanks for sharing and I must say thats one pimped out Electron! I see what your doing there with the RGB2HDMI adapter. :D
Electron,+1,+3
A5000 Alpha,4MB,CF HD
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

My Holy Grail . . .

It doesn't have the SCSI code - Only the Acorn V1.0 has that . . . :(
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
hoglet

Post by hoglet »

daveejhitchins wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:06 am Have you seen this version of ADFS for the Electron? https://github.com/hoglet67/ADFS130
These are all being built from the BBC ADFS 1.30 code base, despite the confusing version numbering. ELK100 has SCSI hard disk support and ELK103 has IDE disk support. Both also have floppy disk support (back-ported from the original Electron ADFS 1.00), but that is not well tested.

Dave
rharper

Post by rharper »

I have tried the latest 1MHz files, v1.12, and the recommended scsi files but I get an error:
Disc Error 2C at :0\000000
The level shifter is for a BBC but the 1MHz buses are compatible.
Changing the sd card, plus 1 or electron makes no difference, also changing the scsi files for ones from a working BeebSCSI give the same error.
Mostly I am using a new AP5 and the ADFS is in a Pegasus.
Often the systems boot to the Pegasus DFS even though it is in slot 2 with the ADFS in 3.
However, I have had the same error with the ADFS in a RomBox+ ROM slot without the Pagasus present.
All help welcome.
Ray
Raycomp
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

rharper wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:02 pm I have tried the latest 1MHz files, v1.12, and the recommended scsi files but I get an error:
Disc Error 2C at :0\000000
The level shifter is for a BBC but the 1MHz buses are compatible.
Changing the sd card, plus 1 or electron makes no difference, also changing the scsi files for ones from a working BeebSCSI give the same error.
Mostly I am using a new AP5 and the ADFS is in a Pegasus.
Often the systems boot to the Pegasus DFS even though it is in slot 2 with the ADFS in 3.
However, I have had the same error with the ADFS in a RomBox+ ROM slot without the Pagasus present.
All help welcome.
Ray
Hi, Ray . . . Which version of ADFS are you using? - Dave H.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
Mince

Post by Mince »

hoglet wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:25 am
daveejhitchins wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:06 am Have you seen this version of ADFS for the Electron? https://github.com/hoglet67/ADFS130
These are all being built from the BBC ADFS 1.30 code base, despite the confusing version numbering. ELK100 has SCSI hard disk support and ELK103 has IDE disk support. Both also have floppy disk support (back-ported from the original Electron ADFS 1.00), but that is not well tested.

Dave
What state is the floppy code in for the Electron version from there? I incorrectly assumed it was the BBC one with the addresses changed but looked more recently and see that it's a very different include — are you saying you've backported some fixes but they haven't had enough testing?

As an aside, I submitted this patch to make an ADFS 1.30E version which disables the cursor on the Electron during *COMPACT: https://github.com/hoglet67/ADFS130/pull/1
BBC Master— PiTube 3A+ PiVDU, PicoTube, Pi1MHz, MMFS, ANFS, MultiOS
BBC B — Integra ß, PiTube Zero 2W, Pi1MHz, MMFS, DFS, ADFS, ANFS
Electron — Plus 1 w/ AP6 2V2, AP5, PiTube 3A+, Pi1MHz, PRES AP3+4, Elkeconet or ATI/ABR, ElkSD 64/Plus 1
Mince

Post by Mince »

mark71 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:24 am
!FOZ! wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:35 pm Is anyone using the Raspberry Pi to 1MHz and Tube bus interfaces with an Acorn Electron Plus 1 and AP5 cartridge? Either to emulate a ADFS HD and/or Tube experience. I've got these for my Beebs and understand the power situation. The little cable that comes with the devices to pass power from the CoPro to the 1MHz device is not quite long enough. ...

I haven't tried this as the AP5 manual says the current is limited to 100mA and is intended for the BeebSCSI — I think a Pi would draw well in excess of that so I power mine via USB.
Electron — Plus 1 w/ AP6 2V2, AP5, PiTube 3A+, Pi1MHz, PRES AP3+4, Elkeconet or ATI/ABR, ElkSD 64/Plus 1
hoglet

Post by hoglet »

Mince wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:35 pm What state is the floppy code in for the Electron version from there? I incorrectly assumed it was the BBC one with the addresses changed but looked more recently and see that it's a very different include — are you saying you've backported some fixes but they haven't had enough testing?
The Electron version includes the floppy driver from the original Acorn ADFS 1.0.

What specific fixes are you referring to?
Mince wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:35 pm As an aside, I submitted this patch to make an ADFS 1.30E version which disables the cursor on the Electron during *COMPACT: https://github.com/hoglet67/ADFS130/pull/1
Sorry, I managed to overlook this as github neglected to email me!

In future if you don't get a timely response do feel free to prod me via PM or email.

I'll try to merge this over the weekend, but I also need to coordinate with Dominic Beesley to make sure this gets included in his Multi Target ADFS (which is a common source tree for all 8-bit versions of ADFS).

Dave
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Dave: is the Electron ADFS code in a state where individual code blocks/routines can be moved around?

I ask as I hope to have the new AP3-4 up and running in the near future. I have a function where you can ‘switch-in’ a 4K block of RAM over the top 4K of ROM. This would require that all code that reads or writes to its workspace is in the bottom 12K of the ROM. Giving the ultimate Electron ADFS :D
Dave H.
hoglet

Post by hoglet »

daveejhitchins wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:33 am Dave: is the Electron ADFS code in a state where individual code blocks/routines can be moved around?

I ask as I hope to have the new AP3-4 up and running in the near future. I have a function where you can ‘switch-in’ a 4K block of RAM over the top 4K of ROM. This would require that all code that reads or writes to its workspace is in the bottom 12K of the ROM. Giving the ultimate Electron ADFS :D
I would suggest any future development be done on top of Dominic's Multi Target ADFS. I think he's found and fixed a few issues with my sources that would have surfaced when code was moved around.

What code were you thinking would be overlaid by the RAM? I'm not convinced there is 4K of code in ADFS that doesn't make any reference to the workspace.

Dave
Last edited by hoglet on Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mince

Post by Mince »

hoglet wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:57 am The Electron version includes the floppy driver from the original Acorn ADFS 1.0.

What specific fixes are you referring to?
It's the bug when writing to the first few tracks of the disc and required the file ZYSYSHELP to be created. If the driver is directly from that version, I assume the problem remains.
hoglet wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:57 am I'll try to merge this over the weekend, but I also need to coordinate with Dominic Beesley to make sure this gets included in his Multi Target ADFS (which is a common source tree for all 8-bit versions of ADFS).
Thanks — no worries and perhaps I should look at trying to integrate it into that version instead. Since that also has the PRES 1.15 version, I wonder if we can pull the floppy code from there and fix that issue too (or maybe add the SCSI support), but I don't know how easy that would be.
Mince

Post by Mince »

hoglet wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:04 am What code were you thinking would be overlaid by the RAM? I'm not convinced there is 4K of code in ADFS that doesn't make any reference to the workspace.
Doesn't the top ROM in the PRES PAGE &0E00 versions not have access to the workspace as the 4K is only overlaid on the bottom half? I imagine the amount of code needing access would increase when the SCSI stuff is added back in so that may tip things over the edge, but I assume they at least managed to do a broad chop.
rharper

Post by rharper »

daveejhitchins wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:20 pm [Hi, Ray . . . Which version of ADFS are you using? - Dave H.
An original Plus 3 ADFS Rom v1.0.
Tested it on a BBC with ADFS 1.30 and it gives the same error so the problem is on the zero, level shifter or software on the SD card. On the BBC it was powered from a molex connector from a PC psu, so not a power problem.
Ray
Raycomp
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

What code were you thinking would be overlaid by the RAM? I'm not convinced there is 4K of code in ADFS that doesn't make any reference to the workspace.
That would be a shame! I'll work on the assumption that it would work, for now. There maybe another option - thinking . . .

Dave H.

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”