UMI 4M

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
Zakala

UMI 4M

Post by Zakala »

Hi,
I finally found the box in the loft that hasn't seen daylight for nearly 30 years. Along with all my Master and 512 manuals was this beautiful box of MIDI music magnificence:
U-Music UMI 4M Midi interface and ROM cartridge
U-Music UMI 4M Midi interface and ROM cartridge
This was upgraded from the 3S I originally purchased after discussion with Lynton Naiff, because I owned a Roland synth and there was an issue with it that required a Midi message that the 3s couldn't send ('All Notes Off' iirc).

Anyway, here's a review by Martin Russ for anyone that wants to know more: https://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/umi- ... 0computer.

The software is on two ROMs and, according to the labels, I have version 1.05.
UMI 4M ROMs
UMI 4M ROMs
I've no idea whether that's been imaged previously, but I have a bunch of ROMs to do, so an evening away from waving a hot soldering iron and cold logic probe at an increasingly large herd of Beebs is beckoning.

I've also found my disc drives so at some point I have to start recovering data, though from what I've read, compared to 3.5" discs 5.25" pose a significantly greater challenge.
Ken

*I wonder what will happen if I press this button.
Pernod

Re: UMI 4M

Post by Pernod »

Zakala wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:09 pm I've no idea whether that's been imaged previously, but I have a bunch of ROMs to do, so an evening away from waving a hot soldering iron and cold logic probe at an increasingly large herd of Beebs is beckoning.
It hasn't been imaged so appreciate you taking the take to do so. Could you also provide photos of inside the UMI-4M?
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
Zakala

Post by Zakala »

My apologies Nigel, I took the photo, but forgot to upload it.
U-Music UMI 4M internals
U-Music UMI 4M internals
4 ACIAs and supporting circuitry and luckily no electrolytic caps to go bad.

I'll dig out my EPROM burner and image the ROMs later. I'd love to know whether anyone has a version later than 1.05. I know there was talk of adding support for other synths to the librarian, but I'm not sure that ever happened.
Ken

Pernod

Post by Pernod »

Zakala wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:17 pm My apologies Nigel, I took the photo, but forgot to upload it.
IMG_20240320_171640016_HDR~2.jpg
4 ACIAs and supporting circuitry and luckily no electrolytic caps to go bad.

I'll dig out my EPROM burner and image the ROMs later. I'd love to know whether anyone has a version later than 1.05. I know there was talk of adding support for other synths to the librarian, but I'm not sure that ever happened.
Thanks, could you also photo the ports so I know how they're labelled?

I've seen a document that suggests version 1.07 is out there, but not yet seen in the community.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
Zakala

Post by Zakala »

The ports are all 5 pin DIN sockets. Labels are in the first image.
The ribbon cables aren't labelled, but they are for user port and 1MHz Bus.
I know one of the Multi ports was used to provide Sync24 because I had my (sadly now sold TR808) into that.

ROMs for the 4M v1.05 attached for archival purposes, though since you'd need a 4M to use them they are pretty much only of use to owners of the hardware.

Copyright is, of course, Lynton Naiff.
UMI4M105.zip
(23.84 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Ken

Pernod

Post by Pernod »

Zakala wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:57 pm ROMs for the 4M v1.05 attached for archival purposes, though since you'd need a 4M to use them they are pretty much only of use to owners of the hardware.
Thanks, presume you don't mind them being shared with your registration?
0096.png
- Nigel

Zakala

Post by Zakala »

I couldn't see how to remove it and as I say it's only of use to anyone with the hardware that's been separated from its own licensed ROMs afaik.
From my point of view it means there's a backup copy out their if my ROMs ever go belly up.
The current copyright holder can always ask me to cease and desist of course but unless they suddenly start selling the hardware again without the software I don't think it will be an issue.
Ken

chrisn

Post by chrisn »

Would you be willing to photograph the underside of the PCB? I've always wanted one of these, but they're basically impossible to come by these days, so had a thought of designing a modern replica.
Atom / BBC B with Music 5000/4000/2000 / Electron / A3000 / Master 128
Zakala

Post by Zakala »

chrisn wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:56 pm Would you be willing to photograph the underside of the PCB? I've always wanted one of these, but they're basically impossible to come by these days, so had a thought of designing a modern replica.
Hi Chris,
Yes happy to do so, but it will probably be towards the end of next week now. Too many deadlines!
Ken

Zakala

Post by Zakala »

chrisn wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:56 pm Would you be willing to photograph the underside of the PCB? I've always wanted one of these, but they're basically impossible to come by these days, so had a thought of designing a modern replica.
Hi Chris,
Apologies for the delay hope these are OK. I've taken some extra shots that may help ID components the grey discs all look like 103 decoupling caps and the brown tantalums are all 0.1 except for a single 10.
Attachments
IMG_20240412_191723100_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240412_191702966_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240412_191651379.jpg
IMG_20240412_191632899_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240412_191036297.jpg
IMG_20240412_191744799_HDR.jpg
Ken

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”