Ghostbusters (Activision)

developing/porting a new game or gaming framework? post in here!
Dave_E

Re: Ghostbusters (Activision)

Post by Dave_E »

I watched the bouncy ball animation. I'm not sure if it's finished yet but it seemed to crash on BeebEm (Master 128 emulation). The line "Bustin' makes me feel good" came up, then a load of garbage was printed on the screen pushing the Ghostbusters logo off the top of it. Then the redefine keys option came up.

It didn't stop the game loading and like I say not sure if it's a bug or you just haven't finished it yet. ;-)
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

Definitely a bug. I believe it's corrected now. I tried an alternate routine for the ball but didn't like the look so I'll probably keep as is. Have been looking at the other issues. Experiments here have made me realise that I can change the ghost coming colour back to magenta (but not the marshmallow detected to white - that will need to stay as yellow - but it's rarely used.)

No release today but here's some pictures of an NULA palette version (not final).
nulamap.jpg
nuladrive.jpg
nulacapture.jpg
Castle Defender, Untitled Dungeon Game, Night Ninja, Wordle, Waffle, Acorn Island, Beebchase, Ghostbusters
Dave_E

Post by Dave_E »

I see that it all makes sense now. The reason Ghostbusters was not created all those years ago was that it wouldn't have been as good, couldn't have taken advantage of the Master 128 with its sampled speech, wouldn't have been able to be written for NuLA... It was always your destiny to fill in this gap in the BBC software library with the most awesome conversion that takes advantage of all the new tech in the meantime... :-)
tricky

Post by tricky »

Well there we ram expanding early on as well as the b+ and palette extenders from 1982 iirc. :)
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

Now with more colours. This version adds the following:

NuLA Support
Only for the SWRAM version. I'm just blasting the colour values to &FF23 on startup with no attempt to detect it. Hope that's not problematic.

This has been quite interesting with the realisation that the NuLA actually has 16 different colours available. As an example I've taken the original light/dark grey from the C64 and presented them as cyan/blue in the standard version. Obviously when adding NuLA you the redefined Blue and Cyan to be Grey. However - this means that the sky on the capture screen is also dark grey. I've therefore taken one of the 8-16 colours (which were all mapped to the ghost green) and reclaimed it as the sky and mapped it to colour 12 (normally flashing blue/yellow). However I've disabled the flash period (partially to remove some unnecessary interrupt processing) so this appears as just blue. This means I now have two "blue" colours on the screen and can redefine one as grey and one as a more "sky" like colour. The downside here is that the ghost now changes to magenta/purple when it crosses the sky - but that doesn't happen very often and I don't think it looks to bad. Similar mapping allows a cyan ghost on a grey road during the driving. The point here is that all the other code is exactly the same so the display looks good with and without NuLA.

Part of this also made me realise that on the map screen the a ghost never crosses the white ghostbusters logo (which is not plotted with EOR but with a saved background) meaning that the white used for that can be taken from the ghost whites leaving space for a purple detected building.

Interrupt times corrected
This should mean the Master doesn't "flash" occasionally. A couple of odd things here. A timing of 9984 on T1 for a non interlaced BBC B screen (at least under the emulators) is fixed relative to the vsync - but on a Master it wonders slightly and needs to be 9982 (which also appears solid on a BBC). Not sure why that is. I also learned that setting R8 using VDU 23 doesn't simply send the value you provide but EORs it with the *TV interlace value first. This confused me for quite a while...

Other changes
The Master Numeric keypad should be available for key selection if you want.
The Bouncing ball should no longer corrupt the screen at the end of the ghostbusters song.

This version is very near final (I think I want to tweak the stand version zuul arrival colour back to magenta) and look at the sampled sounds. Only taken 40 years.. Should I wait until the 40th anniversary of the film's release (June the 8th)? Of course that would be US only - the UK release would need to wait 6 months to the 7th of December ;)
gb.ssd
(60.25 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Castle Defender, Untitled Dungeon Game, Night Ninja, Wordle, Waffle, Acorn Island, Beebchase, Ghostbusters
tricky

Post by tricky »

I do the same thing with frogger, but flip the flash bit half way down the screen.
The reason for flipping the flash bit is so that I can have 3 different reds I think, but it could be another colour. Then like you, it just falls back to the palette colours of no nula.
When programming the colours, I send all the nula colours and the rest the ordinary palette and haven't had an issues.
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

Release Candidate?

This version restores magenta for the Zuul arrival on the standard version and adds a ReadMe file with brief instructions and a couple of licence files related to the compressor. I've tweaked the samples to be "better" although I'm not sure I can hear the difference....

Use B2 or B-Em (or real hardware) to play the NuLA Version - and let me know if you encounter anything you don't like!
gb.ssd
(64.5 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Dave_E

Post by Dave_E »

Found some time to play through the NuLA version today. I didn't find any bugs. Interesting to see the different colour palettes and effects throughout this version.

Return to “new projects in development: games”