Techsoft Designer CAD and CNC software

request software or documentation that you can't find online
RobC

Techsoft Designer CAD and CNC software

Post by RobC »

Does anyone have a copy of Techsoft Designer (or the additional CNC program) advertised in AU?

Unfortunately, I missed out on an eBay auction that appeared to contain the disks (alongside a BBC buggy) last night. I don't think I've ever seem another copy before. I've message the seller to see if the buyer will archive (or sell on) the disks.
techsoft.jpg
techsoft.jpg (41.49 KiB) Viewed 2138 times
IanJeffray

Re: Techsoft Designer CAD and CNC software

Post by IanJeffray »

RobC wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:27 am Does anyone have a copy of Techsoft Designer (or the additional CNC program) advertised in AU?
This was one of the first ever 'serious' programs I used on an Arc - it was released incredibly early after the Arc launched; for Arthur. And it's primarily written in BASIC. We used it a lot back then and I loved it.
Attachments
TS_CNC_DES.zip
(539.51 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
RobC

Post by RobC »

Thanks ian. I was primarily looking for the Beeb version but it's interesting to know it came out on the Arc too.
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

RobC wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:48 pm Thanks ian. I was primarily looking for the Beeb version but it's interesting to know it came out on the Arc too.
Ah. You didn't say that. Nor was I aware it was something that was on the beeb -- I guess that explains how it came out so soon on the Arc, if it was a "port" from the beeb!
RobC

Post by RobC »

IanJeffray wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:15 pm Ah. You didn't say that. Nor was I aware it was something that was on the beeb -- I guess that explains how it came out so soon on the Arc, if it was a "port" from the beeb!
Sorry - I wasn't aware of the Arc version but it is mentioned alongside the Beeb versions in that advert. It really good to have this though - I wonder if it could be persuaded to run on an Arm co-pro? :D
RobC

Post by RobC »

I've only had a limited play with this on Arculator but it is really good. It's really quite powerful and will import and export !Draw, HPGL and DXF files. I've even managed to get it to output a Beeb VDU stream by creating a plotfile for a Plotmate printer.

Thanks again for uploading it.
RobC

Post by RobC »

I contacted Techsoft as they are still in business (https://www.techsoft.co.uk/) and got a very nice reply from Sue Brown who was one of the programmers for the original BBC version of Designer.

Sue has been unable to locate a copy of the software but did have some advertising material which I've attached. As with the Archimedes version, it looks like a very powerful package.
Attachments
TechSoft Designer BBC Information Sheet.pdf
(3.54 MiB) Downloaded 46 times
TechSoft Designer BBC Software Advert.pdf
(1.01 MiB) Downloaded 38 times
gavinlew

Post by gavinlew »

Hi,

I have a copy of it on ROM in front of me, 2.02/608/B on a rom D27010-250V05-U7300228S
Its due to be archived as per the discussion over on Discord
--
Atom | Elk +1,+3,Prime +3
B Issue 4, 7 Econet, Wifi Modem | B+ 64k |
Master, QuadOS, External Datacentre, Econet, Morley Teletext | Compact, Econet
A3010 4Mb, Econet, IDE Podule | Pocketbook I and II
Z88 with Beeblink
Rasp

Post by Rasp »

I have an original copy of EDUCAD and EDUCNC for the BBC Micro/Master, I must have the documents somewhere but I can't seem to find them.

EDUCAD looks like some sort of education/training company now so may not even be the same lot.
Attachments
003_EDUCNC.dsd
(400 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
002_EDUCAD.dsd
(400 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
RobC

Post by RobC »

gavinlew wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:42 pm I have a copy of it on ROM in front of me, 2.02/608/B on a rom D27010-250V05-U7300228S
This would be amazing if it could be archived :D I think there would have been a disk too but, if that's missing, it may be possible to recover some of the system from the Arc version as that's mostly BASIC with some M/C calls.
Rasp wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:18 am I have an original copy of EDUCAD and EDUCNC for the BBC Micro/Master, I must have the documents somewhere but I can't seem to find them.

EDUCAD looks like some sort of education/training company now so may not even be the same lot.
Thanks for this too - I'll have a play asap.
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

gavinlew wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:42 pm Hi,

I have a copy of it on ROM in front of me, 2.02/608/B on a rom D27010-250V05-U7300228S
Any progress on getting this dumped?
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.

Return to “archive requests”