RISC PC CMOS layout

discuss the archimedes & risc pc, peripherals and risc os/risc os on pi
Footie

RISC PC CMOS layout

Post by Footie »

I've been spending some time tracing the RISC PC CMOS circuit with the aim to repairing motherboards with battery damage. The image below shows a MKIII board and how I believe the circuit is laid out. The MKII is similar. I have managed to repair 2 boards so far based on this.
Hopefully it's of use to others and it should be similar to the A7000 and older machines.
RISCPCCMOS.jpg
Cheers,

Mike.
razz177

Re: RISC PC CMOS layout

Post by razz177 »

Footie wrote: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:26 am I've been spending some time tracing the RISC PC CMOS circuit with the aim to repairing motherboards with battery damage. The image below shows a MKIII board and how I believe the circuit is laid out. The MKII is similar. I have managed to repair 2 boards so far based on this.
Hopefully it's of use to others and it should be similar to the A7000 and older machines.

RISCPCCMOS.jpg

Cheers,

Mike.
Hi
I will solder the 0V lead to point 16
This is a great picture, I hope you do not mind I have added numbers to it to help me explain things,at position 1 4.45v / 2 4.45v / 3 5.09v bottom leg top leg variable / continuity between 4 5 6 7 8 9 but not between 9 & 10 continuity between 10 11 12 but not between 12 & 13 continuity between 13 & 6 16 is not present on my board
thanks Mike
Attachments
RISCPC Mk2+Mk3 CMOS-1.jpg
razz177

Post by razz177 »

Footie wrote: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:26 am I've been spending some time tracing the RISC PC CMOS circuit with the aim to repairing motherboards with battery damage. The image below shows a MKIII board and how I believe the circuit is laid out. The MKII is similar. I have managed to repair 2 boards so far based on this.

RISCPCCMOS.jpg

Cheers,

Mike.
can you please look at my original post the picture you directed me to is great, I have replied on my original post with some reading I got but I have not tried doing this before & not sure what I should be getting but I believe 5v at pin 8 on 8583T is a must.
Thanks Raymond
SKS1

Post by SKS1 »

razz177 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:38 pm

RISCPCCMOS.jpg

Cheers,

Mike.
can you please look at my original post the picture you directed me to is great, I have replied on my original post with some reading I got but I have not tried doing this before & not sure what I should be getting but I believe 5v at pin 8 on 8583T is a must.
Thanks Raymond
When powered on, you won't quite get 5V at pin 8 of the RTC as it's dropped slightly by the diode. Have you looked at the circuit diagram in the Tech Ref Manual? I don't know if the Rev 3 circuit is too different even if the board layout may be.
Miserable old curmudgeon who still likes a bit of an ARM wrestle now and then. Pi 4, 3, ARMX6, SA Risc PC, A540, A440
razz177

Post by razz177 »

SKS1 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:05 pm
razz177 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:38 pm

RISCPCCMOS.jpg

Cheers,

Mike.
Thanks Raymond
When powered on, you won't quite get 5V at pin 8 of the RTC as it's dropped slightly by the diode. Have you looked at the circuit diagram in the Tech Ref Manual? I don't know if the Rev 3 circuit is too different even if the board layout may be.
Mine looks almost identical to the picture Mike did It looks like one resistor less.
There is a picture of Mikes in my post plus a picture of mine it is numbered to go with text as I have not learned then names of components yet.
Look in here RiscPC Battery earth missing & not booting

Return to “32-bit acorn hardware”