A blast from the past

where both new and existing forum members can say 'hi' to each other!
ajcduggan

A blast from the past

Post by ajcduggan »

Greetings from Seattle. I've finally joined StarDot, since the bbc-micro list has been drying up.

Built my first Acorn Atom in 1980 (I think, might have been 1981). 2kB of RAM, what luxury! Quickly upgraded to 8kB, IIRC.

Then a couple of Beebs, and a few home-grown modifications (home grown RAM board, Viglen case, volume control, second processor internally with on/off switch). I still have the Beebs, haven't turned them on in years though.

Wrote a few ROMs, including my own disk filing system (8271 FDC, layout compatible with DNFS, but allows hierarchical directories and RWX permissions), assembler and disassembler.

Used the latter to disassemble and re-build Elite. Yes, it's that Angus, very slightly known from Elite-A. Also the "designer" of the EPROM programmer that I see a few people here have built. (I think "design" somewhat overestimates my hardware development skills.)
a.
Multiwizard

Re: A blast from the past

Post by Multiwizard »

Hi,

welcome to this great Forum... :D

Greetings from my little Dutch Atomic Attic, Wim... :-)
jms2

Post by jms2 »

Hello Angus and welcome!

Its great to see you on Stardot. I was one of the people who built your eprom programmer. It was the first electronics project I ever tried to build, and perhaps unsurprisingly it didn't work! I learned a lot from it though, and it was significant in that, at the time, there was very little about the Beeb anywhere on the web. Things have come a long way since then.
tricky

Post by tricky »

Welcome, I've seen your name a few times in Google search resulrs, glad you've joined.
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Welcome to the Forum, ajcduggan . . . Enjoy . . .

I'm sure the folks on here are going to be asking you lots of questions . . . Hope you've kep all your records - or have a darn good memory :lol:

Dave H :D
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

Elite-A! Blimey. Welcome on board. :D
Adventure Language on GitHub
Atom, issue 5, YARRB + video noise killer
Elk
A number of econetted (is that a word?) Beebs
BBC Master, Datacentre + HDD, pi co-proc, econet, NULA
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

Welcome, Angus. :D
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
davidb

Post by davidb »

Welcome at last, Angus! :D

Now about that port of Elite-A to the Electron... :lol:

Seriously, though, did you see the Atom port of Elite that Kees did? :o
LordVaderUK

Post by LordVaderUK »

Blimey, the creator of Elite-A, we are not worthy! Welcome to the forum, very pleased to have yet another subject matter expert here on this excellent forum.
Loving my BBC Master 128
ajcduggan

Post by ajcduggan »

jms2 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:44 am Hello Angus and welcome!

Its great to see you on Stardot. I was one of the people who built your eprom programmer. It was the first electronics project I ever tried to build, and perhaps unsurprisingly it didn't work! I learned a lot from it though, and it was significant in that, at the time, there was very little about the Beeb anywhere on the web. Things have come a long way since then.
The EPROM programmer did work for me. The TTL logic part was OK, but I must admit I never really understood analogue electronics, such as how and when decoupling capacitors were needed, and how to size them.
a.
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

Another welcome. :) Pull up a chair, biscuits are in the tin, kettle's over there. :D

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.45
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2024
>_
DutchAcorn

Post by DutchAcorn »

Wow, Angus from Elite-A!

Welcome to stardot! Elite-A has impressed me enormously; it had always seemed to me that Braben and Bell squeezed the absolute max out of the Beeb's possibilities. And then you came along and added impressive features to it as if you had resources to spare. :shock:

So what are you looking for @ stardot?
Paul
janvb

Post by janvb »

Welcome m8
myno

Post by myno »

ajcduggan wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:59 am
Wrote a few ROMs, including my own disk filing system (8271 FDC, layout compatible with DNFS, but allows hierarchical directories and RWX permissions), assembler and disassembler.

Used the latter to disassemble and re-build Elite. Yes, it's that Angus, very slightly known from Elite-A.
Dear Mr. Duggan

I have some questions regarding Elite-A, and would greatly appreciate it if you would be so kind as to consider answering them for me, please.

You might get a better idea of what I'm on about if you follow this link to the "introduce yourself" stardot forum: https://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28821.

Kind regards
myno
Vee

Post by Vee »

Hi Angus,

Very much enjoyed Elite-A, we need to get you and @MarkMoxon together for a discussion on Elite's internals :D
myno

Post by myno »

Vee wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:10 pm Hi Angus,

Very much enjoyed Elite-A, we need to get you and @MarkMoxon together for a discussion on Elite's internals :D
I second the motion! :D

Edit:
I would actually like to see

1. Ian Bell (Elite, 1984sep20... remember this date, http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/index.htm),

2. Angus Duggan (Elite-A, complete 1993may25, released c. 1997feb11, https://web.archive.org/web/19970211100 ... elite.html),

3. Paul Brink, a.k.a. Dr. Beeb (Elite-B, 2014sep20... -- just look at that date!!, https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=16899), and

4. Mark Moxon (https://www.bbcelite.com/)

all sit around the same table/in the same video call, just having a chat about their Acorn experiences and memories, and some technical Elite geekery, etc.

I also think that Giles Williams, a.k.a. Aegidian (Oolite, 2004jul12, https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=48) might be able to add some outsider perspective to such an élite Elite-discussion, even though he is a self-proclaimed 'Mac-head'.

Return to “introduce yourself”