A310 2 Not finding SCSI drive

discuss the archimedes & risc pc, peripherals and risc os/risc os on pi
razz177

A310 2 Not finding SCSI drive

Post by razz177 »

HCCS SCSI Hard Drive.
Morley Electronics 16 bit SCSI interface V1.13

I've run Morley SCSI Utilities v.0.04 finds the Interface card , but not the hard drive.

changed to HCCS card which I thought might work but it did not same as above, (A400 SCSI Interface 1990)

So I looked in the drive, it is getting the 12v and 5v, the platers are free as are the heads.replaced cover had a look at PCB but it all looks clean.
I have check the ribbon cable continuity and that seems OK .

I do not know what to check next.
Is this just a dead drive ?

Thanks
Raymond
Attachments
Hard Drive PCB.jpg
a1exh

Re: A310 2 Not finding SCSI drive

Post by a1exh »

Depending who owned this computer before you could send it off for data recovery.

I imagine what they will do is connect it to a DOS/Windows PC and a laboratory power supply with a SCSI card and attempt to identify device and then block read the contents.

If they are unable to do that they will attempt to swap the electronics for a known good drive of the same make/model/capacity and try again.

Some firms offer forensic disk recovery where they extract the data from the platters but we're then talking ££££

When you turn it on does it spin? Does it perform drive diagnostics? (The stereotypical chatter of it moving the heads)
Principal ASIC Engineer
RetroGeek
Acorn Electron + A310 + A5000
http://thalion.atari.org
razz177

Post by razz177 »

a1exh wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:31 pm Depending who owned this computer before you could send it off for data recovery.

I imagine what they will do is connect it to a DOS/Windows PC and a laboratory power supply with a SCSI card and attempt to identify device and then block read the contents.

If they are unable to do that they will attempt to swap the electronics for a known good drive of the same make/model/capacity and try again.

Some firms offer forensic disk recovery where they extract the data from the platters but we're then talking ££££

When you turn it on does it spin? Does it perform drive diagnostics? (The stereotypical chatter of it moving the heads)
Hi
It does't spin at all I took the lid off to check, it does get 12v and 5v but it does not spin at any time, I will also check to see if I have anything to connect it to PC.
I do not think it will be worth all that , I will have bought it of eBay some years ago , I would like to fit a hard drive in it & I am sure I have another SCSI drive somewhere , I have several IDE drives but the only IDE podule I have says it is for a Winchester podule for the A540 AKD 52
Um is that an old type of drive.
Do you agree with me that this is a dead drive ?
Thanks
Raymond
a1exh

Post by a1exh »

I think so.

As I said normally data recovery people would change the drive electronics board for one which is a 1:1 match. If you can do that and it still doesn't work then yes it's almost certainly beyond economical repair.

Acorn used to use the same hard drives in each of their A5000. So finding an identical working drive to steal the electronics board from is/was fairly easy. I don't know how common A310 SCSI HDDs were?

I would consider buying a ZuluSCSI or BlueSCSI to use. FYI : You need the latest Firmware to work with Acorn SCSI cards.
Principal ASIC Engineer
RetroGeek
Acorn Electron + A310 + A5000
http://thalion.atari.org
julians

Post by julians »

razz177 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:46 pm Do you agree with me that this is a dead drive ?
Thanks
Raymond
Might be worth checking the jumpers first before declaring it dead - SCSI drives can be jumpered to delay the power up or wait until they're told to power up by the controller.
Probably not the case here, but worth confirming.

Julian.
razz177

Post by razz177 »

julians wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:55 pm
razz177 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:46 pm Do you agree with me that this is a dead drive ?
Thanks
Raymond
Might be worth checking the jumpers first before declaring it dead - SCSI drives can be jumpered to delay the power up or wait until they're told to power up by the controller.

Julian.
thanks for the info , I know absolutely nothing about SCSI. Am I right in thinking this is set to drive 4 ?
Attachments
SCSI card.jpg
Hard Drive PCB.jpg
razz177

Post by razz177 »

a1exh wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:34 pm I think so.

As I said normally data recovery people would change the drive electronics board for one which is a 1:1 match. If you can do that and it still doesn't work then yes it's almost certainly beyond economical repair.

Acorn used to use the same hard drives in each of their A5000. So finding an identical working drive to steal the electronics board from is/was fairly easy. I don't know how common A310 SCSI HDDs were?

I would consider buying a ZuluSCSI or BlueSCSI to use. FYI : You need the latest Firmware to work with Acorn SCSI cards.
I have just been looking through one of my Iyonix Hard Drives and managed to find where I logged everything down before I stored all these computers away and in my notes it looks like it was not working then, so what I am going to do is store it under my desk then when the 25v caps turn up for C37 I am going to go through all my A3 ,4,500 arcs & do them all then I will try this drive in one of them.
Thanks
SKS1

Post by SKS1 »

razz177 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:58 pm
julians wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:55 pm
Thanks
Raymond

Julian.
thanks for the info , I know absolutely nothing about SCSI. Am I right in thinking this is set to drive 4 ?
No, this is set to drive 0. The switches are bits 2,1,0 of the SCSI drive ID, all set to OFF. The final one is for Parity generation.

If it's not appearing in the SCSI scan, it's likely a dead controller board (or host podule).
Miserable old curmudgeon who still likes a bit of an ARM wrestle now and then. Pi 4, 3, ARMX6, SA Risc PC, A540, A440
razz177

Post by razz177 »

a1exh wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:34 pm I think so.

I have just had a look at these two options, very interesting If I decide to keep this it could be a very good option.
Thanks

Return to “32-bit acorn hardware”