Hello - I'm writing a book on Acorn

where both new and existing forum members can say 'hi' to each other!
alexs

Hello - I'm writing a book on Acorn

Post by alexs »

I am a journalist, who wrote for Acorn User in the Nineties, and am writing a book on the history of Acorn Computers.

So far, I have been able to interview a range of key figures from Acorn, including Hermann Hauser, people who worked for Acorn in America, board members including one who negotiated the Olivetti takeover, Arm chip designer Steve Furber, chief engineer Chris Turner etc.

Enough time has now passed that people feel free to talk candidly.

I would love to speak to anyone who:
  • worked for Acorn during its life
  • worked at Arm before its first floatation and interacted with Acorn
  • third parties who might have collaborated with Acorn and have an inside perspective, or used pre-release machines
  • anyone who managed networks of Acorn computers outside the usual schools market (e.g. in government and big companies)
  • teachers who had big, ambitious Acorn installations pushing the boundaries of school IT
I am also interested in seeing any internal documents that have not yet made it online, especially around strategy.
paulb

Re: Hello - I'm writing a book on Acorn

Post by paulb »

alexs wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:37 pm I am a journalist, who wrote for Acorn User in the Nineties, and am writing a book on the history of Acorn Computers.

So far, I have been able to interview a range of key figures from Acorn, including Hermann Hauser, people who worked for Acorn in America, board members including one who negotiated the Olivetti takeover, Arm chip designer Steve Furber, chief engineer Chris Turner etc.
Welcome aboard! I remember your contributions to Acorn User, although extensive perusal of the magazine more recently will definitely have revived any memories from back in the day.

I hope you have managed to speak to some of those involved with ARX at the Acorn Research Centre at Palo Alto. One of those people became an influential figure in the US West Coast technology industry. There are many endeavours associated with Acorn that have probably never been satisfactorily explored or explained, but that deserves another thread, I think.
Multiwizard

Post by Multiwizard »

HI, Alex,

welcome to this great Forum... :D

Greetings from my little Dutch Atomic Attic, Wim... :-)
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Welcome to the Forum, Alex . . . Enjoy and good luck with the book . . .

Dave H.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

Welcome, Alex. :D
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com

Return to “introduce yourself”