a3020 onboard ide + CF

discuss the archimedes & risc pc, peripherals and risc os/risc os on pi
hairdrummer

a3020 onboard ide + CF

Post by hairdrummer »

hi,
I successfully upgraded my a3020/RiscOS 3.11 with gotek+flashfloppy firmware so now I can move ADF images to the a3020. I have connected also to the onboard ide a 512MB CF card that gets recognized in !HForm.

My question are:

1- is HForm supports formatting of the CFCard? It asks me to choose between 4 options (the first 3 are 60/80MB harddrives specific models from Conner and the 4th one "OTHER" cause HForm to crash).
2- is it possible to use all the space on the CFCard? Shall I use another formatting utility?
3- Do I have to format the CFCard on PI RiscOS with a USB/CF adapter maybe?
4- I replaced the original battery with 3 AA rechargeable batteries. Is it normal RiscOS does not keep the changes I've made to the system. Maybe I have to save the changes?

cheers,
marco
danielj

Re: a3020 onboard ide + CF

Post by danielj »

Your CF card may or may not work - it's very hit and miss. Older ones are usually better, but not always. Someone other than me will be better able to advise on hform - my memory of getting it to work on a cf card is very hazy!

Battery - you only need 1 cell - 1.2V. The circuit is not designed to be able to charge 3.6V.

It may be that the cmos is broken, or there are destroyed tracks - was there battery damage that was repaired?
growntree

Post by growntree »

I managed to partition and format a CF card in my A3000 using the partition manager software linked to in the last post in this thread. viewtopic.php?p=406436#p406436
hairdrummer

Post by hairdrummer »

danielj wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:29 pm Battery - you only need 1 cell - 1.2V. The circuit is not designed to be able to charge 3.6V.
It may be that the cmos is broken, or there are destroyed tracks - was there battery damage that was repaired?
really? only 1? I checked but now, there was no leakage. So you confirm me everything I change must stay at the next reboot?

Thanks!
hairdrummer

Post by hairdrummer »

any experiences with 2'5'' real ide drives? I got a few still working but for sure are larger than 20GB

Return to “32-bit acorn hardware”