What's your most over-packed product?

for all subjects/topics not covered by the other forum categories
maniacminer

What's your most over-packed product?

Post by maniacminer »

Here are three 26 way IDC connectors for the three Beebs I've got under construction - just dropped off by my jolly FedEx courier fresh from Mouser in Texas.
There are three 26 way IDC connectors in here
There are three 26 way IDC connectors in here
Wow, huge package for three 26 way IDC connectors
Wow, huge package for three 26 way IDC connectors
These must be really valuable - are the contacts made of bitcoin?
These must be really valuable - are the contacts made of bitcoin?
Big Model B Econet,Master 512,Electron,A3000,A540,Atom,Unilab 3-Chip Plus,6502,Z80,65C816,80186,32016,Matchbox,ARM7TDMI,Master 10/100,PiCoPro,Teletext,Music500,PiSCSI,Challenger3,Gotek,VideoNuLA,GoSDC,GoMMC,Integra-B,RGB2HDMIv4,Epson LQ-850 (for the win!)
jp6741

Re: What's your most over-packed product?

Post by jp6741 »

I think is probably mine

2 medium format rolls of film and a lot of packaging.
paintings

Post by paintings »

Historically, the most over-packed product I ever received was a dual 5.25-inch floppy disc drive unit (Panasonic, IIRC) that I purchased for my BBC Master back in the day. It arrived in a cardboard box that would easily have held a 26-inch CRT television set, with the excess space filled by a gigantic quantity of plastic prawns. I can only suppose that the warehouse dealt mainly with TV sets so didn't have any smaller boxes.

No pictures, sorry...
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Haven't got a picture, though when I see them again I could take one, but I think mine is when I was buying parts for the 8271 disc kits and one of the ICs from RS came individually packed in a little rubber shell you had to squeeze to get the chip out.

I've repeatedly found CPC individually repackage items bought in quantity, for no apparent reason. I almost always buy at the price point multiple so I can get the parts in manufacturer's original packaging only to find CPC have opened everything up and put it in individual CPC bags instead.
Prime

Post by Prime »

BeebMaster wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:13 am I've repeatedly found CPC individually repackage items bought in quantity, for no apparent reason. I almost always buy at the price point multiple so I can get the parts in manufacturer's original packaging only to find CPC have opened everything up and put it in individual CPC bags instead.
I think the 100 *INDIVIDUALLY* bagged disk capacitors from RS takes the buiscuit here. Manufacturer supplied them taped to a cardboard strip by their legs, so logical thing would be count off 100 cut the strip, fold and bag. But no they cut each off on it's own and put in 100 bags. Took me ages to unseal the bags and remove them from the bits of cardboard so I could put them in a single bag. Normally I'd leave them attached to the strip tho.

Cheers.

Phill.
scruss

Post by scruss »

Digikey have numbed me to this. If you order DIP chips or sockets and get the price break for buy a whole tube (usually qty 30) they'll ship it in a long box that could easily take a few hundred such tubes.

Back in 2013, though, Newark/Element 14 beat all my previous records. I'd bought a bluetooth adapter for my multimeter. The bracket for this adapter - just the bracket, mind, not the adapter itself - shipped inside a box, inside a box, inside a box:
Newark award for over-packaging, 2013
Newark award for over-packaging, 2013
as I wrote at the time:
See the little orange thing on top? That's the part. It's 70×40×15 mm, and made in Malaysia. It was packed bubble-wrapped in a sturdy little cardboard box (163×73×43 mm, or 12× the volume of the part). That box was then packed in a very solid box (originally shipped from Penang to Gaffney, SC) measuring  200×200×170 mm; that's 162× the part's volume. Finally, that box was inside a third box of 330×245×220 mm, or 424× little doohickeys.
sweh

Post by sweh »

In 2015 I had to return 2 cable cards to verizon. This is the box they sent...
verizon_cablecards.jpeg
Rgds
Stephen
growntree

Post by growntree »

It was usually HP that used the most packaging.

Once I got a delivery of some ilo advanced packs in a huge box filled with wotsits on a pallet. The ilo advanced packs consisted of a licence key printed on a piece of paper and each one was in its own dvd case. As they were just licence keys that needed to be typed into the ilo website on each server, the whole lot could have just been emailed to me without any packaging at all.

Another time I got a delivery of a single usb mouse on a pallet.
maniacminer

Post by maniacminer »

Well, I think Rapid Electronics saw what Mouser had sent me and said "hold my beer..." :lol:

I got two boxes about the size of a shoulder mounted rocket launcher and what pray did they have inside...
Hold my Beer Mouser.jpg
I was expecting two boxes about the size of my fist, hell, it's only two FFCs one for the display and another for the camera (Pi5) and it was essentially two boxes of air.
Big Model B Econet,Master 512,Electron,A3000,A540,Atom,Unilab 3-Chip Plus,6502,Z80,65C816,80186,32016,Matchbox,ARM7TDMI,Master 10/100,PiCoPro,Teletext,Music500,PiSCSI,Challenger3,Gotek,VideoNuLA,GoSDC,GoMMC,Integra-B,RGB2HDMIv4,Epson LQ-850 (for the win!)

Return to “off-topic”