Atom keycaps on my BBC B?

on-topic acorn-related discussions not covered by the other forums
voorsk

Atom keycaps on my BBC B?

Post by voorsk »

I noticed summat off about my issue 3's keyboard today; it looks like some Atom keycaps have snuck in!
20240324_185843.jpg
The apostrophe above number 7 is the giveaway. Also, 8 and 9 look too low compared to 1 - 6. Everything else looks okay, I think.

Has anyone seen this on a Beeb, or is it likely someone just replaced the keys with the wrong type?
Boydie

Re: Atom keycaps on my BBC B?

Post by Boydie »

Looking at Google images, there seem to be a few other examples of Beebs with that style of keycap. It’s certainly rarer but not unique.

Issue 5 Atom keycaps are much more “monochromatic” than BBC ones. They’re dark charcoal with much whiter markings, whereas the BBC ones are almost very very very very dark brown (credit to Father Ted) with slightly off-white markings.
If you put the two side by side the difference is obvious. If you really had Atom keycaps in your keyboard I doubt you’d need to ask.

I wonder how many other people are now going to go and check all their machines to see if they’ve got variant keys…
voorsk

Post by voorsk »

i did notice the keys looked almost black on an Atom, but the BBC keys are pretty dark, so i wasn't sure if there was a difference.

They look weirdly out of place, tho.. i'm not totally sure they're the same shape as the rest. I'll have to pull them and compare.
voorsk

Post by voorsk »

They look better lined up when off the main keyboard:
20240325_135530~2.jpg
No difference in keycap shape:
20240325_135810.jpg
damn! I was gonna swap them out for less yellowed keys, but I think I have to stick with them, now. Rare keys! wooOOOOOooo! :P

Return to “general”