Meteors++ (Enhanced Acornsoft Meteors for Acorn Electron)

developing/porting a new game or gaming framework? post in here!
0xC0DE

Meteors++ (Enhanced Acornsoft Meteors for Acorn Electron)

Post by 0xC0DE »

Work in progress.
I am having fun improving the classic Acornsoft Meteors game for the Acorn Electron.
So far I have optimised countless things and introduced a second screen buffer to achieve smooth & consistent movement with no sprite flicker at all.

Video comparing the original with my current enhanced version:
https://youtu.be/t6NOxR-rqPg
https://twitter.com/0xC0DE6502/status/1 ... 3994035233
https://bsky.app/profile/0xc0de.bsky.so ... hc4drz3c2w
https://mastodon.online/@0xC0DE6502/111935205464803459
0xC0DE
"I program my home computer / Beam myself into the future"
:arrow: Follow me on Twitter
:arrow: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my games and demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro
davidb

Re: Meteors++ (Enhanced Acornsoft Meteors for Acorn Electron)

Post by davidb »

Good stuff. Quicker and smoother. :D
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Video looks great, an extremely worthwhile project! Can't wait to try the finished version, I'd definitely put this out at some of the big events I do!
Please subscribe to the ABug YouTube channel!
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

=D> =D> =D> Brilliant, as always :D

Dave H.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

Thanks for the kind words, David, Dave and Dave! :mrgreen:
0xC0DE
:arrow: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my games and demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro
nicolagiacobbe

Post by nicolagiacobbe »

very well done. Before watching it I could not believe there could be such a difference.
How much memory have the dual screen left you to play?
oss003

Post by oss003 »

No flickering ... great job ..... =D>
Did you rewrite the sprite routine?

Greetings
Kees
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

nicolagiacobbe wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:10 pm very well done. Before watching it I could not believe there could be such a difference.
How much memory have the dual screen left you to play?
Thank you! The 2 full screen buffers take a total of 20K, leaving less than 12K for the code+data, but I'm used to that :lol:
0xC0DE
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

oss003 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:15 pm No flickering ... great job ..... =D>
Did you rewrite the sprite routine?
Thanks Kees! Yes, the "shape plotter" was already pretty clever, but I managed to make it slightly faster. But I also added a few custom non-clipping pre-shifted sprite plotting routines to speed things up for the small and medium-sized meteors, when they are not overlapping the edges of the screen. But the double screen buffer is crucial for eliminating sprite flicker.
0xC0DE
tricky

Post by tricky »

Excellent, but I would expect nothing less :)

I was going to add a shape plotter, well compiled sprites for the big rocks in my Asteroids, but then decided compiled sprites weren't much good if they moved :lol: especially in MODE 4
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

Multiwizard wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:14 pm Indeed very very nicely done... :-D =D>
Thank you very much!
tricky wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:34 pm Excellent, but I would expect nothing less :)
Cheers, tricky! No pressure then ;)
tricky wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:34 pm I was going to add a shape plotter, well compiled sprites for the big rocks in my Asteroids, but then decided compiled sprites weren't much good if they moved :lol: especially in MODE 4
I really like the shape plotter in Meteors and it is very convenient when wrapping around the screen edges. However, it is certainly not the fastest way to plot sprites. I wish I had space left to add pre-shifted sprites for the large meteor as well.
0xC0DE
mogwaay

Post by mogwaay »

I saw this on my YT feed, looks amazing, massive well done!
jms2

Post by jms2 »

That looks great! The funny thing is, I don't have much recollection of it being that bad. The main thing that stood out to me about Electron Meteors was the way it wasn't in colour (like the BBC version) or with a blue background (like on the box)!
rmbrowngr

Post by rmbrowngr »

jms2 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:43 pm That looks great! The funny thing is, I don't have much recollection of it being that bad. The main thing that stood out to me about Electron Meteors was the way it wasn't in colour (like the BBC version) or with a blue background (like on the box)!
I was going to mention the colour difference between the BBC and Electron versions. I vaguely remember running the BBC version on the Electron. Again thanks to my friend who had a Beeb. I had several games from him.
Richard B
Acorn Electrons issue 4 and 6, MRB, Plus 1 x2, Plus 3, AP6 x2, AP5, Pegasus 400, BeebSCSI, Gotek, Raspberry Pi Co-processor, GoSDC MBE.
BBC B+ 64K (128K upgraded) with Duel OS, Raspberry Pi Co-processor and Gotek.
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

mogwaay wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:14 pm I saw this on my YT feed, looks amazing, massive well done!
Thanks!
jms2 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:43 pm That looks great! The funny thing is, I don't have much recollection of it being that bad. The main thing that stood out to me about Electron Meteors was the way it wasn't in colour (like the BBC version) or with a blue background (like on the box)!
Cheers! Same here. It was fun to play and that was it. Now, looking at it with a technical eye, I see room for improvement :D

I may add a choice for different colour schemes...
rmbrowngr wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:26 am I was going to mention the colour difference between the BBC and Electron versions. I vaguely remember running the BBC version on the Electron. Again thanks to my friend who had a Beeb. I had several games from him.
I may very well attempt to create a MODE 5 version to have a little colour in the game, even though I rather like the monochrome look. A MODE 1 version will be excruciatingly slow on the Elk, not to mention nearly impossible to get it sprite flicker free...
0xC0DE
jms2

Post by jms2 »

0xC0DE wrote: A MODE 1 version will be excruciatingly slow on the Elk, not to mention nearly impossible to get it sprite flicker free...
I agree it's not really essential, but just a thought: could it perhaps be done by relocating all the code to sideways ram and executing it from there, at 2 MHz?
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

jms2 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:04 pm I agree it's not really essential, but just a thought: could it perhaps be done by relocating all the code to sideways ram and executing it from there, at 2 MHz?
It can be done, and there are some other speed tricks, but at the end of the day you still need to write to slow screen RAM :(
0xC0DE
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

0xC0DE
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Always thought Meteors was a solid conversion for the Elk but your update takes it to another level - it's so much smoother and more playable now.

Incredible achievement, thanks and well done!

I can't wait to take this version on the road with me to events (in fact, I've got a big one in a couple of weeks, are any more updates due over the next few days? Otherwise I'll ask Dave H to burn it to an Eprom for me)
Please subscribe to the ABug YouTube channel!
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

Arcadian wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:28 am Always thought Meteors was a solid conversion for the Elk but your update takes it to another level - it's so much smoother and more playable now.

Incredible achievement, thanks and well done!
Thanks Dave! It was a nice technical challenge and I now have a full understanding of how the game works.
Arcadian wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:28 am I can't wait to take this version on the road with me to events (in fact, I've got a big one in a couple of weeks, are any more updates due over the next few days? Otherwise I'll ask Dave H to burn it to an Eprom for me)
That would be great! I hope this version is pretty solid, but you never know! I do intend to release a version with optional cheats included, but not sure when exactly.
0xC0DE
jms2

Post by jms2 »

Awesome work! I still can't get past Sheet 4 though.
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

v0.2 released - bugs fixed and cheats/options menu added

Hold ESCAPE and tap SPACE to enter the Cheats and Options page, while on the initial screen (showing the controls). Then type the first letter of each cheat/option to change it.

https://github.com/0xC0DE6502/meteors-enhanced-releases

screenshot1.png
screenshot2.png
0xC0DE
mogwaay

Post by mogwaay »

0xC0DE wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:01 am v0.2 released - bugs fixed and cheats/options menu added

Hold ESCAPE and tap SPACE to enter the Cheats and Options page, while on the initial screen (showing the controls). Then type the first letter of each cheat/option to change it.

https://github.com/0xC0DE6502/meteors-enhanced-releases

screenshot1.png
screenshot2.png
Very cool, must find some time to have a play with it - I'm going to try some green or yellow on black for some old CRT vibes 😁

Return to “new projects in development: games”