A5000 network configuration

discuss general risc os software applications and utilities
Related forum: adventures

a5k

A5000 network configuration

Post by a5k »

Hi there!
I got a network podule Atomwide Ethernet V5, it has 10base2 connection only (bnc). That's not a problem, I have the converter to RJ...
Anyway, I have trouble in configuring that card. Current System A5000 4MB Ram, CF 512MB, SCSI podule, ANT podule.
I'm able to see with podules command the network card and its MAC address in the proper way, or better I suppose is the right one.
output is : ANT Ethnernet (< its mac address > ) Acorn Access / AUN (DCI4)

Launching !Boot.Resources.InetSetup I got No boot application appears to have been run
Launching Internet I got Error in Ifconfig when accessing interface ep0 : Cannot access Internet Module

Pretty sure I'm missing something or some wrong procedure, any help will be appreciated

thanks!
Ronin47

Re: A5000 network configuration

Post by Ronin47 »

I had a terrible time getting my A5000 networking sorted - viewtopic.php?t=27835

If your card has a ROM you may have a better starting point than me as mine required drivers to be installed, and I can't say what I did specifically to get it going...

Good luck with yours, I'll be interested to see how you get on.
a5k

Post by a5k »

Hi!
Ronin47 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:51 pm I had a terrible time getting my A5000 networking sorted ...
Well, I do see in those words the path I'm in :)

I done additional steps, despiste I have a lot of variables like BNC to RJ (I haven't AUI, only BNC on card), jumper on NIC, Cisco switch not able to digest half duplex in proper way..additional I'm not an Acorn/RiscOS super expert (I'm a Unix guy)

I went through manual and CLI operation, now I have ea0 configured loading driver and configuring it with ifconfing and route
I'm not able to ping any address in my network, I can see reply from itself only..

I consider it as a step, but I see a long path to have the A5000 networked

thank you!
Ronin47

Post by Ronin47 »

a5k wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:29 am Hi!
Ronin47 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:51 pm I had a terrible time getting my A5000 networking sorted ...
Well, I do see in those words the path I'm in :)

I done additional steps, despiste I have a lot of variables like BNC to RJ (I haven't AUI, only BNC on card), jumper on NIC, Cisco switch not able to digest half duplex in proper way..additional I'm not an Acorn/RiscOS super expert (I'm a Unix guy)

I went through manual and CLI operation, now I have ea0 configured loading driver and configuring it with ifconfing and route
I'm not able to ping any address in my network, I can see reply from itself only..

I consider it as a step, but I see a long path to have the A5000 networked

thank you!
Not only a long path, but in my case an expensive one too!!!

I wish I could remember half of what I've done, but now I just keep a backup of my HDD as I'm using a BlueSCSI for HDD, so I remove it from time to time and image the whole SD card.

I wouldn't want to go through all of that again TBH.
a5k

Post by a5k »

In somehow, I guess my path is completed.
I mean at RiscOS level, boot conf from HD, driver and so on I suppose it is ok. The media converter BNC to RJ is working too - tested with a VAXstation, while configuring ether3 and livetest parameter I got

Livewire : CORRECT CRC.... FAILED
Ifconfig : ioctl ea0 Interface faulty.

and that is addressing me to close the case as "I have a non working interface"...
Ronin47

Post by Ronin47 »

a5k wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:49 am In somehow, I guess my path is completed.
I mean at RiscOS level, boot conf from HD, driver and so on I suppose it is ok. The media converter BNC to RJ is working too - tested with a VAXstation, while configuring ether3 and livetest parameter I got

Livewire : CORRECT CRC.... FAILED
Ifconfig : ioctl ea0 Interface faulty.

and that is addressing me to close the case as "I have a non working interface"...
Damn...

Just out of curiosity, does the NIC have any configuration jumpers? May be worth looking into it. My AKA25 had jumpers to select between BNC and AUI, and I know yours is only BNC but perhaps there are jumpers on it that might need looking at.
a5k

Post by a5k »

Ronin47 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:16 am ....
Just out of curiosity, does the NIC have any configuration jumpers? May be worth looking into it. My AKA25 had jumpers to select between BNC and AUI, and I know yours is only BNC but perhaps there are jumpers on it that might need looking at.
Yes it has jumper. I tried 3! combination, and apparently one is correct, because I got "simple podules" string as podules command output or not installed. I don't know the meaning for each jumper because I'm not able to find the right doc (NIC is ANT AtomWide EtherNET V BNC)
I need to check better at HW layer, replacing capacitors and checking overall the board....
Ronin47

Post by Ronin47 »

a5k wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:14 am
Ronin47 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:16 am ....
Yes it has jumper. I tried 3! combination, and apparently one is correct, because I got "simple podules" string as podules command output or not installed. I don't know the meaning for each jumper because I'm not able to find the right doc (NIC is ANT AtomWide EtherNET V BNC)
I need to check better at HW layer, replacing capacitors and checking overall the board....
Certainly worth considering a recap, you never know with these things.

Hope you can find some info on it.
a5k

Post by a5k »

The end. I won. :)

IMG_1108.jpg

Return to “32-bit acorn software: other”