What's with some games by Tony Oakden on the Electron?

discuss bbc micro and electron emulators (including mame) here!
tonyoakden

Re: What's with some games by Tony Oakden on the Electron?

Post by tonyoakden »

Really interesting! It's amazing that you are digging into the code for games I wrote over 20 years ago. Sounds like you have fixed most of the problems with your emulator? I can't remember how I scanned the keyboard but it's very possible that there where some bugs in the code. By the time I got to Cyborg Warriors I was definitely starting to push the hardware towards it's limits. I just wanted to let you know what a great job you are doing :D
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

tonyoakden wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:07 am Really interesting! It's amazing that you are digging into the code for games I wrote over 20 years ago. Sounds like you have fixed most of the problems with your emulator? I can't remember how I scanned the keyboard but it's very possible that there where some bugs in the code. By the time I got to Cyborg Warriors I was definitely starting to push the hardware towards it's limits. I just wanted to let you know what a great job you are doing :D
Hey Tony, great to see you on this forum! 8) And thank you for your kind message! You made some excellent games on the Electron and I love digging around in them. You certainly used all the tricks in the book to speed things up. Speed tricks some of us are still using to this very day! And even discussing on Twitter as we speak! See for instance: https://twitter.com/snuggsy187/status/1 ... 0782213124
0xC0DE
"I program my home computer / Beam myself into the future"
:arrow: Follow me on Twitter
:arrow: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my games and demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro
SosheGames

Post by SosheGames »

Sorry to contribute to a dying thread, but wow, Tony Oakden was here? Thanks for dropping by and saying hello. Wanted to also say there definitely wasn't that high pitched sound on the original release. Camelot and Quest were among my favourite games and as I no longer have access to my old Electron I'm having to use Elkulator to play my old collection. I was having the same issue with the sound on Camelot and have been playing with the sound off completely in the emulator which fixes the problem but gives me a silent game and I miss the sound effects! I'm not having any issues running Quest, just issues playing it as it is SO difficult! I'm determined to actually get somewhere on it, something I didn't manage 30 years ago as an eager 8 year old girl!
origami_camera

Post by origami_camera »

This thread may go some way to explaining why both Camelot and Star Port SSDs run on my Electron+ElkSD128 but without sound, regardless of pressing the S and Q keys, and regardless of *UNPLUG C or F or both (or 0-6). The Electron just emits a 'clipped' beep after the "Press Space to Start" screen, then goes silent. Likewise if I load in UEFs via a Tapeduino.

However, the UEFs work fine with sound if the ElkSD128 is detached.
Acorn Electron user since 1980-something, albeit with a three-decade hiatus

Return to “8-bit acorn emulators”