Hi from Cheshire.

where both new and existing forum members can say 'hi' to each other!
bk100

Hi from Cheshire.

Post by bk100 »

Bought my BBC Micro A in the early eighties and promptly upgraded to a Model B. Thoroughly enjoyed the journey from basic programming to rudimentary assembly language. Wrote a number of short games/utilities which were stored on tape. I used a Sony tape deck for this purpose and eventually wore out the record/playback head !
Eventually the computer had a very bad day, made some noises and an awful smell. I switched it off immediately, boxed it up and put it in the garage where it has been gathering dust until a few weeks ago.
Recently I introduced our grandson to some classic BBC Micro games by the "Complete BBC Micro Games Archive website" route which went down very well. At the same time I found this website and some other resources. One Youtube video I came across described repairing a BBC Micro power supply. The symptoms leading up to the failure described in the video were just the same as the one's I experienced years ago. Out came the trusty soldering iron and much to my amazement was now able to repair the power supply by replacing 2 capacitors and get the computer working again. This gave me chance to load in some old tape files which was fascinating. Sadly this was short lived and although the PSU seems to be working there is something wrong with the computer and the normal startup screen (RGB to scart) does not now appear although the speaker is droning and the TV is responding.
Great to see this forum is so active and look forward to joining in.

Good to be on board,
Eric.
tricky

Re: Hi from Cheshire.

Post by tricky »

Welcome, sorry to hear about your beeb, but good news on the granson front :)
There is a fault finding index, but in my experience it is usually 6522 or RAM, but can be as simple as a keyboard cable not making good contact any more.
There is a minimum configuration that should help narrow the problem down as well as suggestions like swapping the 6522s and changing the jumper to go back to 16K.
I would try reseating anything socketed as a first step as well as researting both ends of the keyboard cable. Be careful thout as making is worse it very annoying :)
Multiwizard

Post by Multiwizard »

Hi Eric,

welcome to this great Forum... :D

Greetings from my little Dutch Atomic Attic, Wim... :-)
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

Welcome, Eric. :D

Tricky has some good advice, he says knowingly! :lol:
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Welcome to the Forum, Eric . . . Enjoy . . .

Dave H.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
lovebug

Post by lovebug »

Welcome :D
Image Image Image Image
bk100

Post by bk100 »

Thanks for all the replies. I have a massive learning curve to climb if I am to repair my BBC and not ask too many dumb questions in the process but it's obvious there is a wealth of technical knowledge here. Thanks again.
Eric

Return to “introduce yourself”