Is BBSing an interest for you ? How do you do it

comms devices, modems, serial links, terminal software, BBS's, memories from the past, Prestel/Micronet etc

1. Wifi Modem of some kind (with retro hardware)
85%
2. Dialup modem (with retro hardware)
No votes
3. Newer hardware (PC or laptop or other) via Terminal emulator programs.
8%
4. Web browser.
8%

Total votes: 13

brianmartin_2001

Post by brianmartin_2001 »

1. Wifi Modem of some kind (with retro hardware)
2. Dialup modem (with retro hardware)
3. Newer hardware (PC or laptop or other) via Terminal emulator programs.
4. Web browser.
Sysop of (the Night Owl BBS) nightowlbbs.ddns.net:6400
atsampson

Re: Is BBSing an interest for you ? How do you do it

Post by atsampson »

Serial cable to a Linux machine, then telnet/ssh out from there. (Also means I can use rz/sz to transfer files locally.)
markusher

Post by markusher »

Via econet bridge to internet
-Mark
2 x BBC, 1 Viglen BBC, M128, M512, M128+copro, 1 Master ET, BBC AIV Domesday System, E01S, E01, E20 Filestore, 3 x A4000, RISC PC 600,700, StrongArm. Probably more I've missed and all sorts of bits and pieces.
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

I chose option 3 - running BeebEm with CommStar ROM on my PC. The current BeebEm release drops characters, but I'm working on fixing that.
Atom / BBC B with Music 5000/4000/2000 / Electron / A3000 / Master 128
brianmartin_2001

So both Mark and AT I'd categorize as Option 1 as you're using the Wifi function of another device to enable
retro machine. Would you agree?
markusher

Post by markusher »

Not really, the pibridge is hard wired to the ethernet. WiFi isn't involved at all. Perhaps Option 1 should be Ethernet connection. It depends really what you are trying to assess.
-Mark
2 x BBC, 1 Viglen BBC, M128, M512, M128+copro, 1 Master ET, BBC AIV Domesday System, E01S, E01, E20 Filestore, 3 x A4000, RISC PC 600,700, StrongArm. Probably more I've missed and all sorts of bits and pieces.
jubber

Post by jubber »

I've got lots of Acorn machines connected to a pibridge, and that works pretty well - but I didn't know the pibridge could then be a gateway to the internet. What is needed to make that work?
brianmartin_2001

markusher wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:33 am Not really, the pibridge is hard wired to the ethernet. WiFi isn't involved at all. Perhaps Option 1 should be Ethernet connection. It depends really what you are trying to assess.

Yeah , you are right Mark. Wifi as a term narrows things down a bit. What I mean is any device
that provides Internet access ( i.e. ESP, emulated modem) with Wifi or otherwise and is interfaced to a retro machine for option 1.
Unfortunately I don't see a way to edit and update the options. Maybe mods can help me?

thanks
brianmartin_2001

jubber wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:02 am I've got lots of Acorn machines connected to a pibridge, and that works pretty well - but I didn't know the pibridge could then be a gateway to the internet. What is needed to make that work?

Yes I'm curious on that also. I assume you are calling a Terminal program somehow in the Pi OS
but it's talking to the Beeb interfaced via an Econet cable but somehow through the PiBridge software ?
I am about to install a bridge myself this weekend so keen to know.
vela025

Post by vela025 »

When it's not hosting the BBS, if I use my beeb to connect it's via serial to a rpi running tcpser. Depending on what I'm doing I'll either use Commstar, Commstar II, Termulator or Aterm. If I'm connecting to an ANSI BBS I use modern hardware and qodem apart from if I'm dialing in to BeeBS to upload files, in which case I use Syncterm as it supports 128byte (block size) x-modem, which qodem does not...(or if it does I've not figured out how to make it the default setting). If I'm dialing in to BeeBS to just check/respond messages I use the Matrix Brandy Mode 7 terminal client.
BBC Master 128, PiTubeDirect, RGB2HDMI, Twin 5 1/4" & GoTek, BeebSCSI, Retroclinic Datacentre (E), Oki Microline 280, Sony TCM-737, Miracle WS2000 Modem, WE Mouse. BeeBS BBS - http://beebs.ddns.net

Return to “communications”