Unfinished Text Adventures

discuss classic text/graphic adventures for the bbc micro & electron
fuzzel

Re: Unfinished Text Adventures

Post by fuzzel »

lurkio wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:52 pm Any idea about this?:
lurkio wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:02 am
fuzzel wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:36 pm I'm surprised you had to change the walkthrough though because it worked perfectly fine for me when I ran it.
Then is there a discrepancy between the version of the program Sat2 on my latest hacked .SSD and whatever version of Sat2 you’re using? Is the inventory size limit different for some reason?
:?:
Not sure really, I've just copied and pasted my walkthrough above into the HAK5 version you created and it works ok. Possibly the only two lines that are different are the following, line 322 being one I created for a unique identifier for the location:

Code: Select all

7Q$=CHR$(141):CLS:V%=1090:$&880="xxa swa spr xxb rem sum xxc xxd xxe fly hel hin xxf"
322PRINT"D$:"D$;" E%:";E%;" S%:";S%;" T%:";T%;" D%:";D%;" PTR:";PTR#da:INPUT#da,X$
Also, I haven't forgotten about those locations that need descriptions, I just haven't summoned the creative will to do it yet.
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

fuzzel wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:13 pm I've just copied and pasted my walkthrough above into the HAK5 version you created and it works ok.
That can't be true because if I paste your walkthrough into HAK5 (not HAK6), I get this error:

HAK5-fuzzel.png

:!:
fuzzel wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:13 pm Possibly the only two lines that are different are the following, line 322 being one I created for a unique identifier for the location:

7Q$=CHR$(141):CLS:V%=1090:$&880="xxa swa spr xxb rem sum xxc xxd xxe fly hel hin xxf"
322PRINT"D$:"D$;" E%:";E%;" S%:";S%;" T%:";T%;" D%:";D%;" PTR:";PTR#da:INPUT#da,X$
Ah, yes, if I overwrite those two lines in HAK5 with your versions, I can then paste your walkthrough in as is, and it completes successfully!

:!: :?:

Oops!: looks like HAK6 was missing that crucial edit to line 7 too! Apologies. I've now deleted HAK6 and uploaded HAK7, which should contain all the bugfixes we've discussed in this thread:

Disc999-SatansChallengeOrNevilRidesOut-HAK7.ssd
(200 KiB) Downloaded 37 times

:idea:
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

Walkthrough for the Twin Orbs of Aalinor:

TWIN ORBS OF AALINOR WALKTHROUGH
THE START - Collect the easy objects from here including a couple of treasures to get the losenge and the coal. Ignore the ladder because it's
not actually needed although there are clues within the code to suggest there were originally plans for it.
Score = 0
S, S, W, N, N, N, W, W, W, GET RUBY, E, E, E, S, S, S, E, N, N
Score = 0
N, N, N, W, W, W, W, W, N, GET CROOK, S, W, N, W, W, S, GO UNDER, GET INGOT, GET SPADE, E, N, W, W, N, W, ENTER WHEEL, RUN, E, GET KEY, E, S
Score = 0
E, E, E, E, S, E, E, E, E, N, GET COAL, GIVE INGOT, S, DROP SPADE, DROP CROOK, DROP COAL, DROP KEY, W, N, GET AXE, S, W, S, W, GIVE RUBY
Score = 0
THE CASTLE - With the axe we visit the castle, collect all the objects required and deal with the lunatic. This will involve a few trips to
get more ale.
W, N, N, W, W, W, W, W, S, E, CHOP TREE, DROP AXE, CROSS MOAT, N, GET SCARAB, GET BARREL, W, W, S, W, S, S, S, E, GET CLOAK, W, N, W, W, S, E, GET CARV
Score = 0
W, N, N, N, UNLOCK DOOR, E, GET BOTTLE, GET CUTTER, W, S, S, E, E, N, N, E, N, DROP CUTTER, W, GET COIN, N, E, E, N, E, E, E, E, E, S, E, E, E, E
Score = 0
DROP SCAR, DROP COIN, DROP CARV, DROP BARREL, DROP CLOAK, E, N, E, FILL BOTTLE, GIVE BOTTLE, GET BOTTLE, FILL BOTTLE
Score = 0
W, S, W, W, W, W, W, N, W, W, W, W, W, S, E, CROSS MOAT, N, W, W, GET CUTTER, E, S, THROW CUTTER, N, E, S, S, S, W, GIVE BOTTLE, U, N, E
Score = 0
GET CUTTER, CUT CASE, GET ORB, GET CROWN, GET ROPE, D, N, N
SAVE: ORBS9 - Score = 10 (10 points for cutting the case)
DROP CUTTER, E, S, S, S, W, GET BOTTLE, E, N, N, N, W, W, W, N, E, E, N, E, E, E, E, E, S, E, E, E, E, DROP CROWN, DROP CUTTER, DROP ORB, E, N, E
Score = 10
FILL BOTTLE, GIVE BOTTLE, GET BOTTLE, FILL BOTTLE, W, S, W, W, W, W, W, N, W, W, W, W, W, S, E, CROSS MOAT, S, S, W, GIVE BOTTLE, GET BOTTLE, E
Score = 10
We've now got rid of the lunatic and have the bottle for later. We can now go back to the start and prepare for the underground section.
N, N, CROSS MOAT, W, N, E, N, E, E, E, E, E, S, E, E, E, E, E, N, E, FILL BOTTLE, W, S, W
Score = 10
Free the dwarf woman, silence the bell and get the sulphur and flints. We'll need the cloak, the crook, the spade and the jewelled key.
DROP BOTTLE, DROP ROPE, GET CLOAK, GET CROOK, GET SPADE, GET KEY, E, E, S, S, S, S, S, W, N, N, W, S, S, W, W, W, DIG, DROP SPADE, GET FLINTS, E, E, N, N
Score = 10
W, GET CHAIN, SWING CHAIN, W, W, W, UNLOCK DOOR, N, UNTIE WOMAN, S, E, E, E, GET CHAIN, SWING CHAIN, DROP FLINTS, DROP KEY, DROP CROOK, WEAR CLOAK
Score = 10
JUMP, U, U, MUFFLE CLAPPER, CHIP SULPHUR, D, D, D, GET RING, GET SULPHUR, W, W, W, ENTER SHAFT, SAY SNOOKE, SAY DOWNWARD, EXIT, E, E, GET RUBY
Score = 30 (20 points for muffling the clapper)
Visit Gorgoroth, summon Grud and begin depositing the treasures at the bank.
GET DIAMOND, GET INGOT, E, GET ORB, EXAM TALISMAN, N, W, SAY GRUD, GIVE RUBY, DROP WAND
Score = 30
GET CROWN, GET SCARAB, GET COIN, S, DROP INGOT, DROP DIAMOND, DROP RING, DROP CROWN, DROP SCARAB, DROP COIN
Score = 90 (10 points for each of the 6 treasures deposited)
Enter the loft and get the millstone turning. Then get the barrel and destroy the boulder in preparation for the game's ending.
N, GET COAL, GET ROPE, GET BARREL, W, W, W, W, N, W, W, S, E, S, W, THROW ROPE, U, GET NECK, PULL LEVER, D, GET BARREL, GET COAL, GET SULPH
Score = 90
THROW COAL, THROW SULPH, E, N, W, GET COAL, GET SULPH, N, DROP BARREL
SAVE: ORBS19 - Score = 110 (10 points each for throwing the coal and the sulphur onto the millstone)
E, E, S, E, E, E, E, DROP NECK, GET BOTTLE, E, E, S, S, S, S, S, W, N, DROP BOTTLE, N, S, GET BOTTLE, N, W, W, W, GET CROOK, GET FLINTS, GET KEY
Score = 110
E, E, E, S, S, E, N, N, N, N, N, W, W, DROP KEY, W, W, W, W, N, W, W, GET BARREL, W, W, W, SPARK FUSE, THROW BARREL
Score = 120 (10 points for throwing the barrel and destroying the boulder)
Visit the dungeon for a treasure, send Gorgoroth to sleep and deposit the remaining treasures.
S, W, W, S, GET PEND, EXAM WALL, TWIST RING, W, S, W, ENTER SHAFT, SAY SNOOKE, SAY DOWNWARD, SAY DOWNWARD, EXIT, E, E, GET CROOK, GET RUBY, GET BOTTLE
Score = 120
E, FILL MUG, GET ORB, W, W, W, ENTER SHAFT, SAY SNOOKE, SAY NOWD, SAY NOWD, EXIT, E, E, E, GET CHAIN, SWING CHAIN, E, E, E, S, S, E, N, N, N, N, N, W, W
Score = 120
DROP BOTTLE, DROP CROOK, GET NECK, GET KEY, GET CARV, S, DROP RUBY, DROP PEND, DROP NECK, DROP KEY, DROP CARV
Score = 170 (10 points for each of the 5 treasures deposited)
Finally enter the passage past where the boulder was to win the game.
N, GET ORB, GET WAND, W, W, W, W, N, W, W, W, W, W, W, W, W, W, FUSE ORB
END !! - Score = 201 out of 201 (31 points for fusing the orbs to the wand)

There's a bug whereby when you get the rope and try to exit the way you came, the rope vanishes. It seems the author was aware of this but didn't fix
it. Instead he perhaps deliberately added another bug whereby you could go down the trapdoor to escape although the program doesn't acknowledge the movement. Who says two
wrongs don't make a right?
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

A couple of new text adventures have been submitted to bbcmicro.co.uk recently:

viewtopic.php?p=381135#p381135

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

I think I'll play T-48 Hours to Nova (Strange Adventure #1) once I've finished Lee's Charlie Part II. I'm finding it challenging to say the least so I may be a while. Is there a Strange Adventure #2 btw?
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

fuzzel wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:46 pm I think I'll play T-48 Hours to Nova (Strange Adventure #1) … Is there a Strange Adventure #2 btw?
In an email, the author wrote:
If I was successful with my adventure, I had planned to do a series of them (in fact you may notice the first page of the documentation calls it ‘Strange Adventure #1’). I was somewhat influenced by Brian Howarth’s Mysterious Adventures (Escape from Pulsar 7 etc), and wanted to do a similar series. The next one was going to be called ‘Flight 137’ (Aeroplane goes through a wormhole.) But by the end of the 80’s the IBM PC was coming out, and I perceived the golden age of home computing to unfortunately be over, so I didn’t do any more.
iamaran

Post by iamaran »

There are now 82 unsolved games on CASA from a total of 542. However a fair few of these are missing from the archive or were never actually released.

http://solutionarchive.com/list/no_solu ... tform%2C4/

Almost exactly a year ago, there were 89 unsolved games from a total of 533, so 9 games and 16 solutions have been added in the last 12 months.
iamaran

Post by iamaran »

There are now 80 unsolved games in the CASA database from a total of 548 (including missing and unreleased).
https://solutionarchive.com/list/no_sol ... tform%2C4/
Last edited by iamaran on Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EdwardianDuck

Post by EdwardianDuck »

I did start writing up an annotated walkthrough for my game but I'm not sure when I'll have the time and energy to finish it.

Unfortunately, playing one's own game for the umpteenth time can get a bit tedious. Also I found another bug.

Update, map and walkthrough here.

Jeremy
EdwardianDuck

Post by EdwardianDuck »

If anyone wants to upload this walkthrough to CASA, go ahead, I don't have an account there.

I'll upload it to the Internet Archive page at the weekend.

Jeremy
iamaran

Post by iamaran »

EdwardianDuck wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:19 am If anyone wants to upload this walkthrough to CASA, go ahead, I don't have an account there.
Consider it done.

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic adventure games”