ABUG Canada West Meet Up #29 March 9 2024

for the announcement (and discussion) of confirmed physical and virtual ABug events ONLY
KarateEd

ABUG Canada West Meet Up #29 March 9 2024

Post by KarateEd »

Well, another ABUG in Squamish. The day was rather overcast and a bit miserable, probably akin to UK weather I'm thinking. Anyway, the start to the day was great.
Paul just arrived and was in fine fiddle.
1-LookWhoJustArrived.JPG
Looks like Paul learned from his last escapade and brought a couple projects in less boxes, something much more maneagable.
2-FewerProjectsToday.JPG
Paul brought me a cover for my Master with the embroidered name for the Master on it, very nice, thank you Paul.
3-AGiftFromPaul.JPG
Today because both my Music500 failed to work, we are listening to the theme song from ManicMiner on an A7000+
4-Music from A7000+.jpg
I've put the cover on. Looks nice right?
5-GiftProperlyInPlace.JPG
I'm replacing the AM6070DC chip in my older Music500 as I've heard they are notorious for dying in this device. This picture is to show me where the cables go in case my faulty memory........faults.......
6-MyProjectToday.JPG
This shows how the connectors connect to the chassis. It's needed to ensure I get the right ones to the right place. It turns out however that I didn't need to remove them.
7-WhereTheConnectorsConnect.JPG
This is where the chip is that needs removing and replacing......the one nearest the resistors.....
8-TheChipToBeReplaced.JPG
The chip has been removed and replaced, none the worse for wear I'd say......
9-ChipRemovedNoWorseForWear.JPG
https://youtu.be/xRux2Uyk3Tg
The above link let's you hear what a previously dead Music500 now sounds like, still more work to do...
The rest of the story resides on the next post.........
Last edited by KarateEd on Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.
Tosk

Re: ABUG Canada West Meet Up #29 March 9 2024

Post by Tosk »

Really like these dust covers for Acorn machines - purchased one myself for my Beeb and it does highlight how much dust can collect with a few days (or weeks) depending on the environment!

Makes for a good gift for a retro computer owner:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185123257191
Acorn BBC Micro Model B 32K - O.S. 1.2 - Basic v2 - Issue 7 motherboard - Opus DDOS DFS, MMFS Solid State Drive, Graphics Extension ROM and Gotek https://retrorendezvous.org/
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

So, on with the rest of the day.....
So what is this sorcery? A Pi? A Beeb? What is this magic anyway.
11-MyNewPiBeeb-say-what!!!.jpg
It would appear I'm trying to get a new high score for the challenge........
And you know what? I did. It's not a great score because I'm still on the first round and just can't seem to get the depth right for the lowest fish but I will.....it ain't over til the fat lady sings.....oh, what's that I hear?
12-NewHighScoreMaybe.jpg
and here it is, my new high score. Like I said, not great but I'm ok with that.
13-NewHighScore.JPG
And far too soon our day is ended. It was a very nice time with some social lunch time and great fun with our beebery......is that even a word?
14-OverTooSoon.JPG
So with this episode finished from my point of view it's over to Paul who will delight you with his accomplishments now.
Thanks for watching.
Paul?
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.
klintworth

Post by klintworth »

Today my best accomplishment was going to see Ed. Our Canada West ABUGs are the highlight of my social calendar! After a straightforward drive (I was concerned about a special weather advisory of wet snow on the Sea to Sky Highway; turned out to be further north near Whistler!!) I was greeted by some lovely computer music from Ed's A7000+ (the music was the audio from the RiscOS Manic Miner!)

I was also greeted by some Acorn gifts from Ed, a Hybrid Music 2000 midi interface, and the instructions (with a microSD containg support files) from Colin Hoad's tutorial for emulating a BBC Micro on a Raspberry Pi - superb! So looking forward to tinkering with these new projects, thanks Ed!!!!
IMG_2978.jpeg
Music 2000 and BBC emulation on a RasPi

I had two main goals for the day, neither of which I achieved!! First off was trying to sort out my Amiga 600 Gotek, which seemed to be misbehaving. On disassembly I noticed a broken connection, so I successfully soldered that back together again. I was able to get a mini LCD working, but the larger display was very intermittent, not sure why. The ADF images were also not being recognised. The files I used were old TOSEC ones. Once I used different ADF files then the drive was recognised, so that was progress!
IMG_2979.jpeg
Internal Amiga 600 Gotek with broken wire!
IMG_2984.jpeg
Progress - it's recognising DF0!
IMG_2985.jpeg
A game I love, on any platform!!

Ed made a great lunch, then I tried to get my high score. Sad duck sounds, waah waah, it didn't happen for me this time!! It was even my choice for this round of the HSC, but Ossie the Osprey is not really a classic game, just very indicative of standard fare back in 1984 (which was also when Elite came out!!!!)
IMG_2989.jpeg
Ran out of time - again! I even had a fish in my claws!!

Yes, all too soon it was time to head home, yearning for the next Canada West ABUG. I still have a warm glow that Ed was able to fix his Hybrid Music box =D>
BBC B Issue 4 & 7, BBC B (USA), BBC Master, Electron, BBC Master Compact, Olivetti PC128S, Castle A7000+, A3020, Valiant Turtle, Trekker Robot

Return to “acorn & bbc micro user group (abug) events”