ABUG Scotland #4 - Thu 29th February 2024

for the announcement (and discussion) of confirmed physical and virtual ABug events ONLY
Tosk

Pics of the event

Post by Tosk »

Good to see a range of activities and projects in action!

Ken wrestling with Econet comms. Numerous Raspberry PI boards were scattered across the desk (more back at his home) = why the world suffered a semiconductor shortage. Notice also an Acorn A4 laptop.

Walkerworks demonstrated music from an upgraded Electron (with 4 channels) over bluetooth. You can see the round speaker unit just next to the Electron. Imagine 8 bit music in every room of your home.

This pic is of Ramtop's Electron with his new Electron PLUS 1 project - now happily working and will WOW Electron users across the globe with this new kit that he will bring to market soon.

I showed my Lord of Midnight BASIC Landscaping project on a Beeb. This included a Powerpoint kiosk slideshow running next to it showing how the project development progressed. I'm still figuring out why the colour set change in Mode 1/magic print statements do not work on a real BBC B compared to the Owlet editor.

IanJeffray head to head with a RiscPC. Hope the tea and cake made up for it :)

Chris brought along an ultra portable Cambridge Z88 and also showed a DEC networking live map from his laptop.

Last edited by Tosk on Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acorn BBC Micro Model B 32K - O.S. 1.2 - Basic v2 - Issue 7 motherboard - Opus DDOS DFS, MMFS Solid State Drive, Graphics Extension ROM and Gotek https://retrorendezvous.org/
brianmartin_2001

Re: ABUG Scotland #4 - Thu 29th February 2024

Post by brianmartin_2001 »

Enjoyed it thoroughly last night .. Great talking to you all again .

Many thanks to Ken for Treecopying over my files from the SCSI HDD to the Pi 1Mhz, all via Econet.
I want a Pi Econet Bridge now.

Brian
Sysop of (the Night Owl BBS) nightowlbbs.ddns.net:6400
Ramtop

Post by Ramtop »

Many thanks to Tosk for an other very enjoyable meeting, it was great to see everyone again.
Gary
walkerworks

Post by walkerworks »

Great evening. Good to catch up and to see a few new projects.

And a couple of firsts for me..seeing a BBC A and a Z88.

Derek
KenLowe

Post by KenLowe »

Yeah, I missed out on seeing what everyone else had brought. Next time :).
KenLowe

Post by KenLowe »

KenLowe wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:42 am I also had a rather frustrating evening - trying to get reliable Econet comms between any of my client machines (beeb, atom, A4, Piconet) and any of my bridges. I'm really not sure what was going wrong, but suspect it may have been due to the fact that none of the bridges were connected to an Ethernet network. Once I powered up my router and one of my bridges picked up a WiFi connection / IP address, everything seemed to be more reliable. I'm going to investigate this a bit further once I get back home.
So, I've been able to replicate the issue at home. It turns out this wasn't a hardware or termination issue, but instead was a configuration issue. In my config, I have a trunk that points to a device on the internet. Because this bridge wasn't attached to the internet at the ABUG event, the bridge was being halted when it failed to resolve the IP for the remote device:
cr12925 wrote:In fact it [the bridge] is dying when started as a service as well, but then the systemd restarts it. So your comms will be ultra-flaky. This is the trunk despatch thread complaining that when it starts up it cannot resolve the name of the other end of the trunk - without which it cannot work. So it kills the bridge. If you comment out the trunk config line for that trunk it should work happily...
Killing the entire bridge when it can't resolve a trunk name seems very aggressive. I've asked @cr12925 if that behaviour can be better handled, so the bridge can remain running even when a specific trunk fails to start, or if it drops out for some reason.

Anyway, for the next ABUG meet I know what I need to do to get the bridge running reliably, so I'll hopefully have more time to demonstrate its features a bit better.
cr12925

Post by cr12925 »

Another workaround is to put an entry for the remote host in /etc/hosts even if it's entirely fictitious. The bridge uses UDP to talk to remote trunks, so its traffic will just disappear into the metaphorical internet bin, and the bridge will regard the trunk as existent...

Or just put a random IP address for the trunk in question in the config!

I'll ponder whether I can bring myself to just make it not create a trunk if the remote host doesn't exist. It breaks one of the design principles of the code, however...

C.
2 x Master 128, BBC B+IntegraB, Viglen floppy drives, A3000 ZIDEFS+Econet, RISC PC StrongArm Mk3+Econet ModulePidule, 3 x Econets, 5 x Pi Econet bridges, organist, former purveyor of BBS software...
Tosk

ABUG Scotland #5 Next Date : Which date can you make?

Post by Tosk »

Hi folks,

Since the Easter holidays are around the date I'd like to propose for our next meeting, I'd like to check in with you to see which of you can make either of these dates - which is better for you?. I'm aware that some of you may be going away or have family commitments over or near Easter.

1. Thursday the 28th of March
2. Thursday the 4th of April

Last edited by Tosk on Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Acorn BBC Micro Model B 32K - O.S. 1.2 - Basic v2 - Issue 7 motherboard - Opus DDOS DFS, MMFS Solid State Drive, Graphics Extension ROM and Gotek https://retrorendezvous.org/
gordonDrogon

Re: ABUG Scotland #5 Next Date : Which date can you make?

Post by gordonDrogon »

Tosk wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:03 pm Hi folks,

Since the Easter holidays are around the date I'd like to propose for our next meeting, I'd like to check in with you to see which of you can make either of these dates - which is better for you?. I'm aware that some of you may be going away or have family commitments over or near Easter.

1. Thursday the 29th of March
I can make either, but the 29th Thu. 28th is the better one for me...

-Gordon
Last edited by gordonDrogon on Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

Tosk wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:03 pm 1. Thursday the 29th of March
Can't do 29th. Can -maybe- do 4th, but can't be sure.
Can I vote for April 11 instead ? :)
walkerworks

Post by walkerworks »

Tosk wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:03 pm
1. Thursday the 29th of March
The 4th suits me better.

I think Thursday is the 28th if that makes a difference to anyone...

Derek
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

walkerworks wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:07 pm I think Thursday is the 28th if that makes a difference to anyone...
LOL. So it is. I can do that, then. :lol:
Ramtop

Post by Ramtop »

29th 28th is probably better for me, although I should be able to make either.
Gary
KenLowe

Post by KenLowe »

I can do either. No preference.
DaveLecky

Post by DaveLecky »

Either day suits me…….

Dave
Electron, Plus 3 and plus 1, AP6 and Home made MMFS PP SD interface
Electron Plus 1 Pres AP3/4 AP5 MGC ELKWiFi MRB
Beeb issue 7 with IFEL 16 socket Rom/Ram board
Master 128,CoPro
Master Compact
StrongA RPC,
Atom, Music 5000 and Keyboard
Tosk

Post by Tosk »

Ok - am going for Thu 28th March - booking thread about to be posted!

Return to “acorn & bbc micro user group (abug) events”