Helloooo from Leeds

where both new and existing forum members can say 'hi' to each other!
voorsk

Helloooo from Leeds

Post by voorsk »

Hiya!

So, I'm voorsk, or Graham if you prefer. Currently living under a pile of retro computers in Leeds. I'm 49, and my mid-life crisis is manifesting as buying computers from my childhood. I've already got 4 ZX Spectrums (48k, 128k, Harlequin 128k, N-Go), 2 Commodore 64s, an Amiga A600, an Amiga A1200, an Amstrad CPC 464, and a Toshiba HX-10 (MSX). On top of all those, I recently bought two (2!) BBC Micros; an issue 3 and an issue 4.

The reason for having two is memory.. I bought the issue 3 knowing it was missing some of the socketed RAM, and I thought that'd be a cheap fix. Then I looked up how much the ICs cost, and they were only being sold new for £20 each - it needs 6! :shock:

So, I thought I'd put that in stasis until I can find reasonably priced RAM, and bought the issue 4, which was fully working.

Then I found out about valid RAM replacements, and found I could replace the RAM relatively cheaply, and I now have two fully operational Beebs. :)

Two is a bit much, especially considering how huge they are. Which one should I keep hold of? Issue 3s seem to be a bit rarer, but issue 4s are more refined. hmmm...... :?
Multiwizard

Re: Helloooo from Leeds

Post by Multiwizard »

Hi Graham,

welcome to this great Forum... :D

Greetings from my little Dutch Atomic Attic, Wim... :-)
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

Welcome, Graham. :D

Two BBC micros is just about right. You can have one as a spare. Or, you can have them set up differently; one with an 8271 DFS and MMFS card and one with a 1770 DFS and IDE/SCSI ADFS and the ability to read 3.5" floppy discs. Then, you will need a GOTEK drive and ... :wink: :lol:
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
julians

Post by julians »

Welcome - however as many of the members here will confirm, that is a breeding pair of BBC micros and they will multiply.

Two BBC micros is just about right.
tricky

Post by tricky »

Welcome, both obviously ;)
Does the issue 3 have a buzz on the speaker? On some, adding a10k resister cures it on others not.
Do you prefer rough or smooth cases, maybe they are the same.
Maybe you should by a network (Econet) for them ;)
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Welcome to the forum, Graham . . . Enjoy . . .

Dave H.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
voorsk

Post by voorsk »

flaxcottage wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:00 pm Welcome, Graham. :D

Two BBC micros is just about right. You can have one as a spare. Or, you can have them set up differently; one with an 8271 DFS and MMFS card and one with a 1770 DFS and IDE/SCSI ADFS and the ability to read 3.5" floppy discs. Then, you will need a GOTEK drive and ... :wink: :lol:
funny you should say that - the issue 4 has DFS, and I'm trying to add mmfs to the series 3, although at the moment it doesn't recognize the rom. not sure what's going on there.
Ukwebb

Post by Ukwebb »

Hi Graham
if you need a hand - feel free to shout, I'm North Wakey :)
BBC Bs, Master 128s, Master Compact, and Electrons, and an A3000 with an ARM3 :)

Don’t Panic and Always Carry a Towel
voorsk

Post by voorsk »

the rom works in the issue 4. weird. i think it's because it's a 32k split rom. the issue 3 would need tracks redirecting to get it to work, and I'm not up for that!

the speaker on both beebs makes a.. noise. not really a buzz. more like the sound of a misty night on the moors. :roll:
I'll certainly add that resistor!

Return to “introduce yourself”