Hello from Oxfordshire

where both new and existing forum members can say 'hi' to each other!
Cyclinguy

Hello from Oxfordshire

Post by Cyclinguy »

Hello all,

My name is Chris, and yes I do like cycling :D

I've got a selection of Acorn machines from the model B to the RiscPC, also an Iyonix. I've used the Iyonix quite a bit since I bought it, but have only recently powered up the older machines... leading to me getting a crash course in replacing PSUs on the internet, and incidentally, discovering this forum.

I've got quite a bit of old software (Elite, the Hobbit, Red Moon, Philosopher's Quest etc), though probably nothing particularly obscure. Still working on a way to get the data off some old tapes.

My background is in IT and I wrote quite a bit of software to run on BBC machines back in the day, but all for bespoke purposes. This included computer assisted learning software for the physics department at Sheffield University back in the 80s (I'd be more than chuffed if someone here actually remembers using this!). I also wrote multimedia editing software for BBCs with proprietary hardware modifications to allow them to control industry standard video machines, back in the day.

Unfortunately, the arm based computers never really took off in the same way and I had to work on windows/linux machines for most of the rest of my career.

I'm now enjoying re-acquainting myself with a loft full of retro-tech, and dusting off some old software projects to see if there's anything worth a closer look.

Chris
Multiwizard

Re: Hello from Oxfordshire

Post by Multiwizard »

Hi Chris,

welcome to this great Forum... :D

Greetings from my little Dutch Atomic Attic, Wim... :-)
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

Welcome, Chris. :D

You wouldn't still have copies of your educational stuff and be prepared to have it archived, would you?
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
tricky

Post by tricky »

Welcome, we still find missing in action ROMs and other software fairly often, so you never know :)
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

Welcome ... I'm interested in hearing more about the multimedia software you wrote, and what hardware modifications were required.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
Cyclinguy

Post by Cyclinguy »

Thank you all for the kind welcome. :)

@flaxcottage

I'm pretty sure I never had a copy at home, though I do have a hundred or so discs to look through to check, so you never know. If I do find any I'll let you know.

@Pernod
The system was called Take That, if I remember correctly and was a fairly comprehensive interactive video authoring and playback system, based on a BBC Micro paired with a industrial video player in a rugged case. I used to have a brochure but I think that got lost in a 'loft purge'. We would call it multimedia now I suppose. Basically it allowed you to author text screens and interleave these with video clips, as well as combining the two.

It was mostly written in Basic when I started working on it and I converted a lot of this to assembler routines which we could put in a rom. This saved space, which allowed us to use larger screen modes (memory was always in short supply!) and to superimpose graphics as well as text on the video stream.

The hardware was designed elsewhere. It allowed us to merge the video output from the BBC and a large format video player, as well as providing control over the player itself via a bunch of relays which were revealed as addresses in BBC memory. I can't remember exactly how they were attached, sorry!

The company was quite well known for software (google Ivan Berg Software) but I can't find any reference to the interactive video system online, alas. This was all long before the web of course.
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

Cyclinguy wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:52 am @Pernod
The system was called Take That, if I remember correctly and was a fairly comprehensive interactive video authoring and playback system, based on a BBC Micro paired with a industrial video player in a rugged case. I used to have a brochure but I think that got lost in a 'loft purge'. We would call it multimedia now I suppose. Basically it allowed you to author text screens and interleave these with video clips, as well as combining the two.

The company was quite well known for software (google Ivan Berg Software) but I can't find any reference to the interactive video system online, alas. This was all long before the web of course.
I've heard of Ivan Berg, but not the Take Five system, I will do some research. Presume you don't still have any ROMs/software for it?
Last edited by Pernod on Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
paulb

Post by paulb »

Cyclinguy wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:52 am The company was quite well known for software (google Ivan Berg Software) but I can't find any reference to the interactive video system online, alas. This was all long before the web of course.
"Video from Ivan Berg", Acorn User, May 1986.
Cyclinguy

Post by Cyclinguy »

Well spotted, though the article is more about the Acorn option really.

And it was Take Five not Take That! :)

For some reason I remember the case including the keyboard in the lid. Maybe that was a later version. Of course betamax was technically the superior technology... :?
Cyclinguy

Post by Cyclinguy »

@pernod

I wasn't supposed to take stuff home, unfortunately, so I'm pretty sure I don't have a copy of any of the software, but I do have a lot of discs to go through... Of course, even if I found a copy, it wouldn't do much without the hardware.
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

Cyclinguy wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:29 pm @pernod

I wasn't supposed to take stuff home, unfortunately, so I'm pretty sure I don't have a copy of any of the software, but I do have a lot of discs to go through... Of course, even if I found a copy, it wouldn't do much without the hardware.
Hardware can be emulated!
- Nigel

Cyclinguy

Post by Cyclinguy »

@pernod

I guess so. I think the interface on the Beebs side was visible as a byte or two in memory space with the bits setting various relays on a genlock board. Nothing particularly sophisticated. Please don't get your hopes up though, as we are talking 35 years and several house moves ago and as I said before, no particular reason why I would have taken software home with me!
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Welcome to the Forum, Chris . . . Enjoy . . .

Dave H.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
lovebug

Post by lovebug »

Welcome :D
Image Image Image Image
a1exh

Post by a1exh »

Hello Chris, I too am in Oxfordshire (Didcot) where there is a relatively healthy retro-community. If you're ever looking for something here in Oxfordshire give me a PM and maybe I can help.
Principal ASIC Engineer
RetroGeek
Acorn Electron + A310 + A5000
http://thalion.atari.org
Cruxinc

Post by Cruxinc »

Hello Chris! welcome to this great community!
I am also located in Oxfordshire. (near Watlington)
about an hour away is the national museum of computing, which is a great place to visit if you like retro tech. :D
I do hope your beeb hasn't taken up smoking! :lol: if it has, you should be able to replace the caps quite easily (if your good with a solder) or mark from retroclinic should be able to refurbish it for you.
its cool to hear about more software that has been developed.
anyway have a good day!
-Elliot :)
Lover of all things acorn, but especially the 8 bits!
- bbc b issue 7 with econet- electron issue 2 - microvitec cub 653 - amx mouse -
i like to use as much original hardware as possible, and only use disk and tapes! :shock:
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Hello Chris, another retro-collector here from Oxford. Welcome to the forum.
Halifask

Post by Halifask »

Hi Chris,

I just posted my "Hello" in "introduce yourself" and thought I scroll down to see if I could find anyone else from Oxfordshire and found not just yourself but 3 others who replied to your post :D

Regards

Arthur

Return to “introduce yourself”