Trying to test my Hybrid Music 500 (and failing!) *Electron*

bbc/electron apps, languages, utils, educational progs, demos + more
daveejhitchins

Trying to test my Hybrid Music 500 (and failing!) *Electron*

Post by daveejhitchins »

My Hybrid 500 is being passed-on to someone who will use it - but - I need to test it first as I've recapped the PSU and haven't used it in a long time - and I'm having problems, as follows:

Note: This using an Electron, AP3/4 (ACP DFS) and AP5.

I have the original ROM and the original disc. The disc verifies OK - it reports the correct ID - 60205. However, when I Boot the disc it reports "Bad modules" for all of them (!!!) ending with:
%MAIN
! Mistake

So, If anyone can talk me through this, please.

Dave H.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
reanimate

Re: Trying to test my Hybrid Music 500 (and failing!) *Electron*

Post by reanimate »

From the user guide:

If on starting from the system disc, you get the '! Bad module' message, you entered the wrong passcode for your ROM. Remake the system disc, checking the passcode carefully.

If you have to repeat the generation process for any reason, you must begin again with a new copy of the issue disc.
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

reanimate wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:41 am From the user guide:

If on starting from the system disc, you get the '! Bad module' message, you entered the wrong passcode for your ROM. Remake the system disc, checking the passcode carefully.

If you have to repeat the generation process for any reason, you must begin again with a new copy of the issue disc.
Thanks for posting.

That's interesting - I was using the original disc supplied with the Electron kit. I do have a Disc (that has the correct serial number written on it) and it fails in the same way. I may have others . . . Need to rumage!

Dave H.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

reanimate wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:30 pm I found the above here:
https://chrisacorns.computinghistory.or ... 4000IG.pdf
Thanks - some bedtime reading :D Dave H.
MartinB

Post by MartinB »

Hi Dave 👋 - I helped the late Paul V with some Music 500x issues waaay back and the problem you’re seeing was definitely protection-related in his case. I don’t have anything explicit to offer but I think you can perhaps get various patched disc (+ maybe rom?) images here….

http://www.colinfraser.com/m5000/m5000.htm
DaveLecky

Post by DaveLecky »

Hi Dave,
Here is a forum link to my Electron Ample rom for an 5000 , with working password and discs.

It may or may not be useful.

viewtopic.php?p=376224#p376224

Dave
Electron, Plus 3 and plus 1, AP6 and Home made MMFS PP SD interface
Electron Plus 1 Pres AP3/4 AP5 MGC ELKWiFi MRB
Beeb issue 7 with IFEL 16 socket Rom/Ram board
Master 128,CoPro
Master Compact
StrongA RPC,
Atom, Music 5000 and Keyboard
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

MartinB wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:46 pm Hi Dave 👋 - I helped the late Paul V with some Music 500x issues waaay back and the problem you’re seeing was definitely protection-related in his case. I don’t have anything explicit to offer but I think you can perhaps get various patched disc (+ maybe rom?) images here….

Thanks Martin . . . All help appreciated.

I was expecting this to "just-work", as it did back in the 80s! Looks like I need to spend a little more time than just using the first things that came to hand :oops:

Dave H.
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Some Progress . . .

Digging to my archive I found a complete Electron solution comprising: ROM (with serial number), Virgin Set-up/Installation Disc (.ssd), Working System Disc (.ssd) and text file with serial and pass code details. I've attached the files . . .

So, I now have a working installation for the Electron :D Unfortunately still no working Music 500! Just-in-case it's an Electron setup issue I'll try running from a Master. I have two complete Masters (3 including Mrs H. :- ) with one of them currently not reading DFS discs (ADFS OK) so I need to look at that. The second I've not used for a while! I also have two Master boards from the Disc Master Jukebox - still not found time to look at :?

I'll update later.

Dave H.

Electron Music 5000 Kit.zip
(106.98 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
chrissawer

Post by chrissawer »

daveejhitchins wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:59 am Just-in-case it's an Electron setup issue I'll try running from a Master.
You may well already know this - but if it is an Acorn branded Music 500 then it might not work on a Master due to 1Mhz bus timing issues. If it is a Hybrid branded Music 5000 then it should be fine.

That is the only difference between the two and it is possible to do a minor mod to make the Music 500 into a 5000. From the title of the thread it isn't completely clear which of the two you have!
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

MartinB wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:46 pm Hi Dave 👋 - I helped the late Paul V with some Music 500x issues waaay back and the problem you’re seeing was definitely protection-related in his case. I don’t have anything explicit to offer but I think you can perhaps get various patched disc (+ maybe rom?) images here….

Thanks for the link, Martin . . . And, thanks once more for UPURS - it just works :D

Dave H.
dp11

Post by dp11 »

I'm working with an M500 which I've done the mod to make it a M5000. This unfortunately doesn't work reliably. One of the issues is the new series 4k7 resistor is too high when 74LS input leakage is taken into account. My next test is to change to 470R with a 100pf to keep the timing skew similar. Also some descriptions of the M500 to M5000 miss the top side track cut.
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

chrissawer wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:08 am
daveejhitchins wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:59 am Just-in-case it's an Electron setup issue I'll try running from a Master.
You may well already know this - but if it is an Acorn branded Music 500 then it might not work on a Master due to 1Mhz bus timing issues. If it is a Hybrid branded Music 5000 then it should be fine.

That is the only difference between the two and it is possible to do a minor mod to make the Music 500 into a 5000. From the title of the thread it isn't completely clear which of the two you have!
Ah! Yes . . . It's an original Hybrid Music 500, however, I've added the 'mod' to enable operation with the Master - I haven't really looked at what the mod does, however, I'd be surprised if it makes it non functional for the Electron!

Dave H.

Return to “8-bit acorn software: other”