Anyone have the application to configure serial port joypads / joysticks?

discuss general risc os software applications and utilities
Related forum: adventures

wmd

Anyone have the application to configure serial port joypads / joysticks?

Post by wmd »

As per title. Needed for a couple of serial port joypads that I have just acquired.
IanJeffray

Re: Anyone have the application to configure serial port joypads / joysticks?

Post by IanJeffray »

wmd wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:52 pm As per title. Needed for a couple of serial port joypads that I have just acquired.
Serial port joypads? What do you mean? There's no "generic" application for suchlike. What brand are they? I'm not aware of any joypad interface that uses the serial port - that sounds odd.
wmd

Post by wmd »

It's a pair of grey Competition Pro joypads, both connected to a single serial port plug. They were advertised as being for the Archimedes.
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

wmd wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:06 pm It's a pair of grey Competition Pro joypads, both connected to a single serial port plug. They were advertised as being for the Archimedes.
I'd still be wary - serial ports are the same physical connector as joysticks. Where's the advert? What the brand? (again)
wmd

Post by wmd »

Brand is "Honey Bee" according to the back of the pads. Here's a pic:

They were off ebay, one-off sale, no more on there.
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

wmd wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:29 pm Brand is "Honey Bee" according to the back of the pads. Here's a pic:
They were off ebay, one-off sale, no more on there.
That looks like a parallel port plug to me, not a serial port.
wmd

Post by wmd »

Yes, you're correct, it's the longer plug / socket, not the old Atari joystick style plug / socket. Is it even for the Archimedes then?
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

wmd wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:39 pm Yes, you're correct, it's the longer plug / socket, not the old Atari joystick style plug / socket. Is it even for the Archimedes then?
Sure. There are several parallel-port based interfaces, including my own for Playstation pads, and the Ian Haylock one, and others. But it may not be a "good idea" to just try random software - you really need to know what the interface is inside there.
philpem

Post by philpem »

Competition Pro joypads and parallel port screams Eclipse / VTi (Vertical Twist) PowerPad to me.

http://web.archive.org/web/201606281958 ... spads.html has details on the hardware and a copy of the software.
Questions about software preservation (BBC, RISC OS or other platforms)? Please feel free to ask.
Currently looking for RISC OS software to archive and preserve, please drop me a PM if you have any to offer.
wmd

Post by wmd »

Thanks for the links. I was going to open the pads and the parallel plug and post photos to help identify them. Hopefully the software in the links will mean I don't have to resort to that!
wmd

Post by wmd »

Still no dice unfortunately. Tested with the !EmuStick1 and !PowerPad applications. The advert said they were for the A3020, but I am trying to use them on an A5000. Are the parallel ports different between the two machines?
philpem

Post by philpem »

wmd wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:59 pm Still no dice unfortunately. Tested with the !EmuStick1 and !PowerPad applications. The advert said they were for the A3020, but I am trying to use them on an A5000. Are the parallel ports different between the two machines?
No, the A3020 and A5000 have the same parallel port chip. It's run by the little CHIPS chip behind the backplane connector. Next to the power supply spade terminals.

Does your parallel port work okay with, say, a printer or a Zip drive?

Otherwise I'd be asking the seller if they can remember anything about them - where they came from or what they are. Without knowing that, you're not going to have any idea what drivers you need.

Edit - seems like there's two versions, Gamesware and Eclipse, but CJE claim they're the same product. Single or dual pad. Photo and some details here - http://www.cjemicros.co.uk/micros/indiv ... e=GAM-GPPS . The photo looks exactly like your setup.
And the software offered for a tenner for them to email it to you, sigh. http://www.cjemicros.f2s.com/micros/ind ... =GAM-GP-SW

Digging further, rather than giving them a tenner for the software, you could give the Eclipse software a go: http://arcarc.nl/archive/Apps/P/Powerpa ... rt%20Disc/
Though I doubt the software on Qubeserver has been modified.
Questions about software preservation (BBC, RISC OS or other platforms)? Please feel free to ask.
Currently looking for RISC OS software to archive and preserve, please drop me a PM if you have any to offer.
iomanoid

Post by iomanoid »

Eclipse/Vertical Twist/QD Enterprises (Andrew Foyle) bought “The Serial Port”, Hugo Fiennes’ software brand in around 1989 or so, and released Tracker, ArcTerm and these (or similar) joystick pads under that name - so this might be where the naming confusion is coming from.

I have these same pads, and the disk that came with them, in storage - I can get it out at the weekend if you still need it.
wmd

Post by wmd »

philpem wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:09 pmDoes your parallel port work okay with, say, a printer or a Zip drive?
Sadly I don't have any other device to test with.
philpem wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:09 pmOtherwise I'd be asking the seller if they can remember anything about them - where they came from or what they are. Without knowing that, you're not going to have any idea what drivers you need.
Tried that, but message was weirdly ignored.
philpem wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:09 pmDigging further, rather than giving them a tenner for the software, you could give the Eclipse software a go: http://arcarc.nl/archive/Apps/P/Powerpa ... rt%20Disc/
Though I doubt the software on Qubeserver has been modified.
Just tried that, and with the !PowerPad application loaded, the only button that responds on-screen is the B button, but oddly, when you press B the left-direction lights up on screen! I tried a couple of the game-specific module in the Drivers directory, but non worked.
wmd

Post by wmd »

iomanoid wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:15 pm I have these same pads, and the disk that came with them, in storage - I can get it out at the weekend if you still need it.
If it's not a lot of trouble, that would be appreciated.
iomanoid

Post by iomanoid »

wmd wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:12 pm If it's not a lot of trouble, that would be appreciated.
It’s no trouble at all, I want to find them for myself; unfortunately the problem I have is that my time at the storage unit is always limited, and every time I get there I forget how much of a <SWEAR WORD> mess it actually is. No luck this last weekend but as soon as I locate them I’ll post the gubbins, no worries.
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

You've already concluded these "do not work", then? ... viz https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/166629915669
wmd

Post by wmd »

Yes. I managed to obtain a 2 joystick parallel port PCB from !FOZ! and have all the components ready to be soldered so I can use a decent arcade stick instead.

Return to “32-bit acorn software: other”