Windows / Linux File Manager and serial connection

bbc/electron apps, languages, utils, educational progs, demos + more
mbernardi

Windows / Linux File Manager and serial connection

Post by mbernardi »

Since there doesn't appear to be a Native BBC Micro / Master file manager (norton commander style), has anyone written one for Windows or Linux which can connect to the Beeb via serial cable?
paulb

Re: Windows / Linux File Manager and serial connection

Post by paulb »

mbernardi wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:51 am Since there doesn't appear to be a Native BBC Micro / Master file manager (norton commander style), has anyone written one for Windows or Linux which can connect to the Beeb via serial cable?
I doubt that it is Norton Commander, exactly, but there were various file managers like Pres' Advanced File Manager:

"Record Keeper", Acorn User, March 1989.

We could probably unearth others, because I doubt that this domain was completely neglected. Just searching for "disc manager" yielded this, which isn't really Norton Commander, either:

"New Order", Acorn User, October 1989.

As for a server to provide remote file access, it sounds like something that may well have been done, perhaps by developers deploying software on the Beeb from more powerful machines or other Beebs. And of course, there have been projects to have the Beeb or Electron act as a client to a serial-accessible remote filesystem, so the broader topic has been considered.
tricky

Post by tricky »

I'm fairly sure I've seen someone working on a Norton like file manager and cooper, but don't remember if it had pc connectivity.
Coeus

Post by Coeus »

I don't know of anything that matches what you're looking for. There are transfer tools, though.
  • There is a BBC Micro implementation of Kermit. I don't remember the exact capabilities but usually Kermit has a server mode that allows one end to be completely passive and the other end to control which files are transferred. One drawback, though, is that it does not support copying the load and execution addresses which can be rather limiting.
  • There is BeebLink written by Tom Seddon - search for it on here.
  • There is a solution based on the Tube protocol - HostFS, IIRC. I think the client end is on mdfs.net and I also think Steve Harris wrote a Perl script to act as the server.
These second two are the opposite way round in that they have the PC act as server and allow the BBC micro to access files on the PC just like any other filing system.

Of course, if the BBC micro has access to (a subset of) the files on the PC then you can use any PC file management tools to manage the set of files shared with the BBC Micro.
mbernardi

Post by mbernardi »

Diminished wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:45 pm also the gfoot thing which I keep meaning to try

viewtopic.php?p=358596
I've just discovered that this has a bug so it doesn't work on the Master 😔

Return to “8-bit acorn software: other”