PanOS software list

bbc/electron apps, languages, utils, educational progs, demos + more
danielj

PanOS software list

Post by danielj »

On a trip through the archives to find a CP/M-86 version of KERMIT, I came across a version for PanOS!

People ask from time to time what software's available for the 32016, so I thought it might be good to start a thread where all of this was collected in the top post. I'm sure there's more out there, but as people write/compile things, if they can upload them to a thread on here, or somewhere else then drop a note in this thread, I'll keep the list updated. I know there's meant to be a version of SPICE knocking around!

PanOS and Docs: http://mdfs.net/Software/Tube/32016/
KERMIT: https://web.archive.org/web/20231222130 ... orn.tar.gz
Colossal Cave: http://stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10785
Spice: viewtopic.php?p=165151#p165151
litwr

Re: PanOS software list

Post by litwr »

http://chrisacorns.computinghistory.org ... i/Sci.html contains a link to a broken BBC BASIC reference manual (pdf). :( Is this manual available elsewhere?
BTW I have just run ClockSp with Basic-32 under B-em and got the next picture.
bbc-micro-32016.png
32016 is very complex processor so the exactness of the result is a bit doubtful.
danielj

Post by danielj »

Yes - it is a broken upload of the file on Chris's Acorns... Try:
http://acorn.huininga.nl/pub/docs/manua ... ASICRM.pdf

d.
RobC

Post by RobC »

danielj wrote: I know there's meant to be a version of SPICE knocking around!
I've got the source code for the version Acorn supplied on my DC hard drive. Unfortunately, I haven't got around to compiling it on the 32016 yet.
danielj

Post by danielj »

RobC wrote:I've got the source code for the version Acorn supplied on my DC hard drive. Unfortunately, I haven't got around to compiling it on the 32016 yet.
Is the source online? I shall link from here. Otherwise, upload, upload! :D

d.
RobC

Post by RobC »

Finally got round to building Spice for Panos...

This is based on the Spice2g6 source code which is the same version as Acorn supplied. Acorn's release note explains the source changes they had to make and so they were fairly easy to copy:
http://chrisacorns.computinghistory.org ... Notice.pdf

However, as well as building the source, I had to implement a number of machine dependent routines so this will be different to what Acorn produced. I initially tried implementing these routines in C but couldn't get them to work from Fortran so I bit the bullet and wrote them in assembler. (I'll take another look at this soon.)

The attached disks include the source code and the compiled objects and image. The command 'mkspice' can be used to build it from scratch.

There are some example input files on the disks. As stated in the release note, the command-line syntax is:
spice2g6 input [50=input-log]

I've run it on the Pi co-pro, DE0-nano and the original hardware. I haven't tried it on the matchbox co-pro but I very much doubt it'll work as it uses a lot of floating point instructions.

One thing to note is that, although it appears to run successfully, I haven't been able to verify the output as I don't have anything to compare it against. Happy to investigate and make any changes if people spot problems!
Attachments
Spice.zip
Spice 2g6
(342.25 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

Thanks for sharing that Rob!
danielj

Post by danielj »

Great work Rob! I'll give this a shot later! :)

d.
RobC

Post by RobC »

Thanks - I actually found working in Panos to be quite satisfying as it reminded me a bit of the Unix development I used to do in the mid-90s! The editor isn't bad and the system is pretty responsive (for the time). The port took me about three full days in all - I think Acorn said it took them a day but I almost certainly had a faster machine and disk system.

I started out using the Pi co-pro as it has the massive advantage of being able to switch to the ARM co-pro and use additional tools (like 'grope'). However, the 1MB memory on its 32016 wasn't enough to run tracing for Spice so I switched to the 8MB DE0-nano version when I hit problems trying to get the C routines to work. Maybe the Pi version should increase the memory size to 8 or 16MB?

One thing I forgot to say is that you'll need to set the date in Panos before running Spice. You use:

Code: Select all

set date 'DD MMM YY HH:MM:SS'
I found that it was only happy with some years so ended up setting it to 1986.

I also found the attached disk on 8BS which has a load of 32016 Fortran stuff on it (including some functions that would have come in handy for the Adventure port...). I haven't tried any of it yet but there appears to be some good stuff on there.
Attachments
tbi7.zip
32016 utilities
(124.34 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
danielj

Post by danielj »

Ooh, those would have done the trick! - Never mind. Implementing in PASCAL was a nice little challenge :D

d.
hoglet

Post by hoglet »

RobC wrote: I started out using the Pi co-pro as it has the massive advantage of being able to switch to the ARM co-pro and use additional tools (like 'grope'). However, the 1MB memory on its 32016 wasn't enough to run tracing for Spice so I switched to the 8MB DE0-nano version when I hit problems trying to get the C routines to work. Maybe the Pi version should increase the memory size to 8 or 16MB?
Rob, FYI in the next relesase (Cobra) the memory size will be configurable at run time, up to 16MB.
RobC

Post by RobC »

hoglet wrote:Rob, FYI in the next relesase (Cobra) the memory size will be configurable at run time, up to 16MB.
Brilliant! I'd seen that the PiTubeDirect code would support up to 16MB but it's great to know that it will be available.

Spice can make use of more available memory - I reduced the amount it uses in line with Acorn's release note but it could be set back to its original size on systems with 4MB+.
fordp

Post by fordp »

RobC wrote:Thanks - I actually found working in Panos to be quite satisfying as it reminded me a bit of the Unix development I used to do in the mid-90s! The editor isn't bad and the system is pretty responsive (for the time). The port took me about three full days in all - I think Acorn said it took them a day but I almost certainly had a faster machine and disk system.

I started out using the Pi co-pro as it has the massive advantage of being able to switch to the ARM co-pro and use additional tools (like 'grope'). However, the 1MB memory on its 32016 wasn't enough to run tracing for Spice so I switched to the 8MB DE0-nano version when I hit problems trying to get the C routines to work. Maybe the Pi version should increase the memory size to 8 or 16MB?

One thing I forgot to say is that you'll need to set the date in Panos before running Spice. You use:

Code: Select all

set date 'DD MMM YY HH:MM:SS'
I found that it was only happy with some years so ended up setting it to 1986.

I also found the attached disk on 8BS which has a load of 32016 Fortran stuff on it (including some functions that would have come in handy for the Adventure port...). I haven't tried any of it yet but there appears to be some good stuff on there.
Note the Pi Copro can be built to support 15MB.
FordP (Simon Ellwood)
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so!
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

Indeed, and in the upcoming release you will be able set the memory size with a couple of *FX calls. For now, you'd need to build that code from source: see the cobra-dev branch on github.
mbernardi

Post by mbernardi »

As the kermit.columbia.edu archive is inaccessible now, and https://kermit-project.org doesn't have the older software, I was wondering if you had a copy of the Kermit for PanOS? I'm trying to rebuild it from the original C-Kermit 4C(057) and a few ack???.* files found at an incomplete mirror https://ftp.zx.net.nz/pub/mirror/kermit ... ub/kermit/, But I have minimal hope it will compile.
PeterTheGrey

Post by PeterTheGrey »

Out of sheer curiosity I went looking......

and found that http://ftp.vim.org/pub/networking/kermit/c/ (in the Netherlands) still has the files.

Site was a bit slow to start. You may have to fiddle in your browser to download the linked files as they are text and your browser may just want to display them. In particular achex.bas is the text of a basic file to unpack ackerm.hex which looks to be a text encoding of the PANOS binary.

ackerm.hlp contains the building instructions and a list of files which look to be available under their original names at http://ftp.vim.org/pub/networking/kermit/c-kermit/

Kermit - takes me back.....
danielj

Post by danielj »

I've managed to dig the tar.gz of the panos kermit out of archive.org. Let me know how you get on... Also updated top post to link to it!
Attachments
acorn.tar.gz
(650 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
mbernardi

Post by mbernardi »

Unfortunately these appear to only be the PanOS specific files, the remaining files need to be sourced form the applicable c-kermit (ckc059.zip). They then need renaming to fit the PanOS naming convention and then the program should compile.

However the Acorn provided makefile references a number of files that are not in the acorn.tar.z nor are they in c-kermit i.e.
ckpcmd-c (ckpcmd.c)
ckpcon-c (ckpcon.c)
ckpdia-c (ckpdia.c)
ckpfio-c (ckpfio.c)
ckpmai-c (ckpmai.c)
ckpmis-c (ckpmis.c)
ckpscr-c (ckpscr.c)
ckpsig-c (ckpsig.c
ckptio-c (ckptio-c)
ckpus3-c (ckpus3.c)
ckpusr-c (ckpusr.c)
I'll probably contact the Kermit Project (kermitproject.org) directly, but until I can managed to install PanOS onto my Master (via MMFS) there isn't much point.

Return to “8-bit acorn software: other”