!HForm for RiscOS 3.0 on A4000

discuss general risc os software applications and utilities
Related forum: adventures

witchdoctor75

!HForm for RiscOS 3.0 on A4000

Post by witchdoctor75 »

Hi all

I got in my hands an a4000 with RiscOS 3.0 ROMs. I definitely want to upgrade to 3.11 but not sure if there is a software path for that and if not where I can find the 3.11 ROMs...

But for now I replaced the old hard drive with a CF to IDE converter and a 512MB CF. The OS can "see" the drive but after that I cannot format the hard drive (CF). The version of !HForm I have is for RO 3.1 and above. Hopefully you have an easy answer? :D Maybe I should upgrade to RiscOS 3.11 first?

Thank you!
helpful

Re: !HForm for RiscOS 3.0 on A4000

Post by helpful »

The A4000 was only ever supplied with RO3.1, so I'm not sure how you've got that combination. In fact, I'm surprised it works at all!

RO3.0 was only supplied for a short time in the first batch of A5000s and was a bit buggy. Replace it as soon as you can.
RISC OS User Group Of London - https://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show - https://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

witchdoctor75 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:05 am I got in my hands an a4000 with RiscOS 3.0 ROMs
Are you sure about that? 3.0 was very short-lived and broken and only distributed in 8bit ROMs for the first release of A5000 in 1991, not 16bit ROMs as used in A4000 which was launched a year later.

Perhaps you mean you have RISC OS 3.10 ? In which case there's no point at all 'upgrading' to 3.11 - the changes are tiny and if you did care can be softloaded anyway.
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

witchdoctor75 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:05 am The OS can "see" the drive but after that I cannot format the hard drive (CF). The version of !HForm I have is for RO 3.1 and above. Hopefully you have an easy answer?
I'd be interested to know if the lite version of Partition Manager works.

Bare in mind that unless you have the right CF, you might see write or verify errors without patching ADFS.
witchdoctor75

Post by witchdoctor75 »

<sarcasm>You won't believe it!</sarcasm>.... It was not RiscOS 3.0, despite the fact that the ROMs had written "RISC OS 3" (I guess the 1992 should be a hint) and when the computer boots the splash screen says flat out "3"... But I am paying the price of the rookie that is learning... So yeah... In the Task Manager->Info version is reported as "3.11"... So great, I cried wolf thinking I saw one, and it all makes sense now... Other than one thing... Why does my HForm refuse to run? (see pic)... I guess by "3.6" it is implied to be identical to "3.60" which is higher than 3.11?

Either way I have a few pointers now to move forward... I will patch my ADFS and will download the Partition Manager and download HForm 248 from http://www.riscos.com/ftp_space/generic/hform/index.htm

I will report back here when I do so...

Thank you all, great support so far!
Attachments
20240219_171728.jpg
20240219_173524.jpg
witchdoctor75

Post by witchdoctor75 »

Ok... The HFORM428 did not work, probably it was the same HFORM that I had... It requires RiscOS 3.6 or higher so my 3.11 is not supported (same error exactly as before). The Partition Manager didn't work either:
20240219_233438.jpg
What worked however was the HFORM from the RiscOS3 App Disk 2... Well... Sort of, kind of, in a way... It detected the size and everything of the CF but because the cylinder number was to high it reported it as negative (pretty sure that is an overflow...) and formatting led to an error. What did work however is the pre-defined hard drives, and now I have my CF formatted as 62MB Hard Disk drive accessed by the a40000... Of course I want more... So @sirbod, I would be happy to be your tester if you don't mind... Or please point me to the author if that is not you...
rps102

Post by rps102 »

and download HForm 248
HForm 2.76 should work fine with RISC OS 3.10 (or 4 or 5 or 6), and if it doesn't someone's introduced a bug in the last six changes, because HForm 2.70 is where I put back some lost support and tested it on an actual A5000,
Sprow.
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

witchdoctor75 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:03 am Partition Manager didn't work either:

20240219_233438.jpg

@sirbod, I would be happy to be your tester if you don't mind... Or please point me to the author if that is not you...
I suspect you've use an extractor that didn't retain the case of the files going by the app name. The function names are all derived from the filenames, so case needs to be correct.
witchdoctor75

Post by witchdoctor75 »

sirbod wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:04 pm I suspect you've use an extractor that didn't retain the case of the files going by the app name. The function names are all derived from the filenames, so case needs to be correct.
I believe it was because the floppy I moved the file was FAT and it capitalized all the letters in all filenames... If that's the case I am learning... So I formatted a floppy to ADFS format and now it worked...

So now I could delete my old 62MB partition and now I could create a 512MB partition and format it using Partition Manager. However I was getting errors trying to open the hard drive 4... So I rebooted, used HForm276 and I could get up to 425MB using the default drives (that are now much more than the older HForm version gives as options). So I guess I need to patch my ADFS in order to be able to claim the rest of the 8GB of my CF but I am not sure how to do it... I can unzip the file, I can see it is a module (filetype FFA) I open the shell and typed "rmrun ADFS::HardDisc4.ADFS", the shell returned without an error, but running the Partition Manager I could not format the biggest (7.5GB) partition. Clearly I am missing a step or two... Any pointers please?
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

witchdoctor75 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:30 am I believe it was because the floppy I moved the file was FAT and it capitalized all the letters in all filenames...
I'll add a check and warning if the file case has been lost to the next build.
witchdoctor75 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:30 am So now I could delete my old 62MB partition and now I could create a 512MB partition and format it using Partition Manager. However I was getting errors trying to open the hard drive 4...
That will no doubt be down to the CF not being compatible with the original ADFS. ADFS follows the ATA-1 spec; the timings changed in ATA-2 so many modern devices are likely to exhibit read and write failures. The patch I linked you too alters the DRQ timing in ADFS to correct this, although its not viable in all instances to live-patch ADFS in the !Boot sequence as some CF won't even get that far.
witchdoctor75 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:30 am So I rebooted, used HForm276 and I could get up to 425MB using the default drives (that are now much more than the older HForm version gives as options).
Partition Manager uses the HForm code for FileCore formatting, although I've just fixed a lot of long standing bugs and implemented verified writes and other additions for modern machines, so you haven't magically fixed things by using HForm. By formatting to 425MB with HForm, you've reduced the LFAU size, resulting in smaller reads from the drive, this will be masking the underlying issue. If you were to try verifying large writes, you'll probably encounter drive errors.

My advice would be to use Partition Manager and accept the default size, which is 502MB off the top of my head. That will maximize the drive size with a small LFAU.

I'd then test the drive by copying large files and confirming they read back.
witchdoctor75 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:30 am So I guess I need to patch my ADFS in order to be able to claim the rest of the 8GB of my CF
ADFS supports a maximum of 512MB. That can't be changed, unless you replace ADFS with a different filesystem. There's many threads on here covering the various alternatives and the methods you have to go through to use them.
witchdoctor75

Post by witchdoctor75 »

sirbod wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:25 am My advice would be to use Partition Manager and accept the default size, which is 502MB off the top of my head. That will maximize the drive size with a small LFAU.

I'd then test the drive by copying large files and confirming they read back.
Ok, thanks. Then let me try again Partition Manager although I am pretty sure I did use the defaults before...

Also to clarify: I do need the ADFS soft patch for stability, right? And if so is there a thread here or elsewhere I can use? I cannot find something obvious...
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

witchdoctor75 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:19 am Also to clarify: I do need the ADFS soft patch for stability, right?
It sounds like you might need to patch ADFS based on what you've described. The only way to tell is to try large writes and then read them back, the resulting error codes will confirm if its patchable. If you don't see any errors, you won't need to patch ADFS.
witchdoctor75 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:19 am And if so is there a thread here or elsewhere I can use? I cannot find something obvious...
I linked to it in my first post above.
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

sirbod wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:09 pm It sounds like you might need to patch ADFS based on what you've described.
Or forget all this ADFS mess, stick Wizzo in as an extension ROM, then you can also have four 512MB (499MB, optimal) partitions on your CF card!

viewtopic.php?t=19938

Return to “32-bit acorn software: other”