Hoi, Ik ben Nancy

where both new and existing forum members can say 'hi' to each other!
NancySadkov

Hoi, Ik ben Nancy

Post by NancySadkov »

I got fascinated with RISC OS, which was really well made for its time.

It introduced Apps, which helped to avoid DLL hell, or the nonsesne with extensions.

I also like how it allows seamlessly running apps from compressed folders. I.e. improving load time from network or CD.

Basically Acorn managed to get everything right already in 80ies, when Microsoft tried to bolt Windows on top for DOS well into 00ies, and even today can't get anything properly. Or Linux which only became less friendlier since 90ies.

What I'm researching now is the support for modern 64-bit ARMs.
I really want to run RISC OS on one of these ARM laptops.
As a software engineer, I always kinda disliked Linux/Unix/Windows kludge filled systems.
But I think the classic C99 library is okay.

I'm also a youtube streamer, when I LP-review RISC OS games, playing each game for about 30min and commenting on it. I managed to get all exclusive RISC OS games running, except Ankh, which fails to read CD properly.

I tried the HDD images coming with RPC Emu and VirtualRPC (which just gave me "unknown directdraw error"). I even tried building my own distro, but they all have CD-rom issue (apparently it can't read audio tracks). I tried using the CDFaker104 (which as I understand is the daemon tool style CD emulator for RISC OS), but it just says nothing on startup. The low res A5000 Ankh's version runs fine, but not the CD, which has true color graphics. If somebody have managed to get Ankh running on Windows 11, please let me know how to do it.

Else I will probably have to fire up a debugger and Ghidra, but disabling audio and movies doesn't sound like the right way to review a game.
markusher

Re: Hoi, Ik ben Nancy

Post by markusher »

Hoi Nancy

Welcome along to the forum. There are plenty of people in the 32 bit section that will have some insight. I suggest making a separate post there saying what you are trying to do, in particular - which version of RISC OS you are trying to run on a modern ARM laptop.
-Mark
2 x BBC, 1 Viglen BBC, M128, M512, M128+copro, 1 Master ET, BBC AIV Domesday System, E01S, E01, E20 Filestore, 3 x A4000, RISC PC 600,700, StrongArm. Probably more I've missed and all sorts of bits and pieces.
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

Hoi, hoi, NancySadkov. :D
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
Multiwizard

Post by Multiwizard »

Hi Nancy,

welcome to this great Forum... :D

Greetings from my little Dutch Atomic Attic, Wim... :-)
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Welcome to the Forum, Nancy . . . Enjoy . . .

Dave H.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
NancySadkov

Post by NancySadkov »

Dank u wel!
TimoHartong

Post by TimoHartong »

Welcome on this great forum from the Netherlands. Please also have a chat with the people at ROOL forum. ARM64 is quite a different beast
tricky

Post by tricky »

Welcome, all this new fangled stuff with to much memory and too fast a CPU, good job people keep finding ways to slow it down.
Good luck with riscos, and don't tell any of the riscos guys what I said or they might not let me come along in future ;)
lovebug

Post by lovebug »

Welcome :D
Image Image Image Image
TimoHartong

Post by TimoHartong »

tricky wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:48 pm Welcome, all this new fangled stuff with to much memory and too fast a CPU, good job people keep finding ways to slow it down.
You are absolutely right and particulary that internet will be a hype. I don't believe it will take off. I trust my 1200/75 modem and econet.

Return to “introduce yourself”