Clogger Answers

reminisce about classic bbc micro and acorn electron games here
Related forum: adventures

Rhys

Clogger Answers

Post by Rhys »

Finally decided to tackle Clogger (only ever had the demo when I was a kid) I'm enjoying so far, but I do have some questions of greater or lesser relevance:

1. What order are the files supposed to be played in?
- I completed Slipper (see screenshot below) and was told that these were the easy levels. In the introductory screens they're listed: Slipper, Brushes, Artist, but on Gamespot the passwords are listed: Slipper, Artist, Brushes. I don't want to slog my way through Artist only to find that Brushes were the intermediate levels (you've got to do these things right :| )

2. Why does the electron version have more levels?
- Again, the introductory screen (for the BBC micro version) says there are 20 levels, but then when you get to the game there are only 3 game files with (presumably) 6 levels each, or do Artist and Brushes have more levels (this would seem strange)
- However, the electron version apparently does have 20 levels with an additional game file called Paint, some of whose levels I have already encountered in the BBC micro version (thanks to David Edwards for this info :) )
- Are there any BBC micro versions that have these extra levels?

3. Is there a special screen for completing all the levels in a row?
- There seems to be a completion screen at the end of level six of each of the game sets - as in Repton 3.
- Is there an additional screen for completing all game sets back to back or just these three screens (as in Repton 3) ?
- It would be useful to know this as even the easy Clogger levels take ages to complete, so it would be nice to know I'm not wasting my time :oops:

4. Is there a PDF of the game instructions somewhere (for the BBC micro version) ?

If the mood moves me, I might do a writeup / step-by-step guide (like I did for Bonecruncher) but it would be better to have all the info first ...
Attachments
Completion Screen for Slipper
Completion Screen for Slipper
Last edited by Rhys on Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
REPTON 2 IS ENDED
Cybershark

Re: Clogger Questions

Post by Cybershark »

I spent quite a bit of time with the Micro User (single level) demo back in the day but, by the time I acquired the full version, I didn't have the patience to slog (clog?) through it.

I can't much answer the rest but, surely, someone can provide you with a scan of the instructions. If not then I'll try to remember to get a snap of them myself, next time I'm able.
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Heyho!

Well, I have now completed the Brushes scenario and, based on the congratulatory message (see below) this is the second set of levels (Artist being the third).

So I'm answering some of my own questions :)

You're right though, it is a slog (a slog that leads to many clogs :D ). I do enjoy puzzle games, but each level takes so LONG to complete. I'm talking 30 - 45 minutes per level, even when I've worked out the solution. Even XOR (which has no time limit and is a pure puzzle game) goes faster than this!!

I can see why nobody has done play-throughs of this, who has the time. Shame in that sense because I'd love to see if there are quicker ways.

Also (and this problem is only specific to me) my laptop keeps calling for mandatory reboots (at very short notice) which, given that I'm playing online and can't use save states, means that I've been playing solidly for the last few days, rather than the more leisurely pace I had envisioned - something to wind down from after completing Repton 3 - Redux!!!

Ah well - at least it's the weekend now! Wish me luck for Artist :)
Attachments
Completion Screen for Brushes
Completion Screen for Brushes
REPTON 2 IS ENDED
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

P.S. btw ... :D
Attachments
Completion Screen for Artist
Completion Screen for Artist
REPTON 2 IS ENDED
bob147

Post by bob147 »

Well done for clogging further than anyone (with video recording tech) has clogged before :-) I think this one fell into the trap of forcing longevity artificially by making everything too slow. Certainly some good ideas in there though.
Dave_E

Post by Dave_E »

Rhys

Re: Clogger Answers

Post by Rhys »

As promised, I enclose a walkthrough of all the Clogger levels with passwords and 1-10 difficulty scores.

It's not entirely step-by-step (I focus more on drills and mowers) but as the levels get harder I do go into more detail.

This is free to use and post elsewhere (e.g. Repton Resource Page, which also has my solution for Bonecruncher) but bear in mind that any accompanying maps need to be of the bbc micro 1996 ProAction version as the original game had some incompletable levels (the ones on this site are from the electron version which has the same problem). Just credit it to Rhys Kelly.

Thanks also to Lord Triax and David B for helping me separate the impossible seeming levels from the actually impossible ones :D
Attachments
Clogger.docx
(36.48 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
REPTON 2 IS ENDED
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

And David E for the instructions :)
REPTON 2 IS ENDED
sbadger

Post by sbadger »

Nice work Rhys! :)

I've been a lifelong fan of Repton, but never owned this back in the day, it always looked interesting in the magazines though.

If you've got the energy you should definitely record your solution and post to Youtube!.
I'm fairly sure they'd get a few views!

Stewart
So many projects, so little time...

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic games”