Gisburne's Castle - Is this a NG+ issue?

reminisce about classic bbc micro and acorn electron games here
Related forum: adventures

Steven666v2

Gisburne's Castle - Is this a NG+ issue?

Post by Steven666v2 »

So I've been playing Gisburne's castle tonight after a few attempts in the past week to familiarise myself again with it and I complete it in 2hr 2mins. Annoyingly my video cap was 2hrs so the last 2mins was a separate recording.

Anyway I immediately start again and complete it this time in 90mins so a single segment.

However part of my original playthrough seemed to carry over, being the opening of the rusty door. I didn't know it was open till I had already got the bottle and oil so I turned up with the necessary items to open it anyway but I feel cheated as it was just already open. I now feel like I need to complete it again to record a legit run even though both runs were?

Was this an issue with the coding? How was the door not reset to its closed position when replaying the game without a reset?

Second run through showing the issue (see room at 56:40) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2poWOl5UTY
bob147

Re: Gisburne's Castle - Is this a NG+ issue?

Post by bob147 »

Don't know for sure but it's very possible that scenario wasn't tested. Codename Droid has a bug like that as well.
viewtopic.php?p=361670#p361670
Dave_E

Post by Dave_E »

Yeah, off-topic but Paranoid for the BBC has the same kind of issue - if you play through the whole game without losing a single life, it doesn't end when you get to the final screen. For some reason you have to die at least once for the end sequence to trigger. Guess the developer never played it through without losing a life.
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

I can confirm, the business with the rusty door is definitely a thing. Basically, any door you open, will still be open if you play the game again.
If this bothers you, you do have the options of closing the doors the doors again, once you're finished with them.
No idea how that bug (you'd almost call it a feature ...) got left in, but there we are.

Gisburn Castle's full of these little quirks. Another one I noticed is that if you fire the cannon, the cannon ball respawns in a specific room in the cellar. You'd think that would be helpful, but the gunpowder was single use, so it's nothing more than an entertaining glitch :)
Likewise, if you don't look for the oil (because the door's still open from last game) sometimes you'll randomly encounter it in the cellar.

And (you may have noticed) if you're still holding the shovel when you kill Gisburn, it goes invisible in your sack (like the knife / club) and you can't drop it. If you drop it first, then it will be gone when you next enter the room. I suppose that's so you can't go back into the cellar, after you've defeated Gisburn, so if you're trying to 100% the game, you should bear that in mind.

Annoyingly, the dynamite does nothing. I was hoping it would at least kill you if you used the flint while carrying it, but no; just a red herring #-o
REPTON 2 IS ENDED
Steven666v2

Post by Steven666v2 »

Thank you for the information. All very interesting. Is it me or half the items don't actually do anything or do some items have a use that I haven't worked out yet. I understand exactly what items are needed to complete so I basically ignore the rest.

Finally got a single segment video in just under 72 mins (sorry this version is soooo sloooow!) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6irMgAkVP2c

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic games”