JGH's TREECOPY and READ ONLY Directories with PiBridge

on-topic acorn-related discussions not covered by the other forums
Ukwebb

JGH's TREECOPY and READ ONLY Directories with PiBridge

Post by Ukwebb »

Hi folks
I'm trying to copy the contents of an ADFS harddrive to my Econet (PiBridge)
I'm using TREECOPY as it seems to be about the only recursive copier I can find

However when it copies the folders, it also copies the permissions (DLR) , which then means treecopy cannot actually write the files within into the folder !
Is there an easy way of making treecopy ignore the permissions and just create the folder as RW , or someway to tell PiEconet Bridge that it can ignore folder permissions?

( ps I've also tried *NETCONF +ACORNHOME and I'm logging onto the Econet as SYST )
Last edited by Ukwebb on Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BBC Bs, Master 128s, Master Compact, and Electrons, and an A3000 with an ARM3 :)

Don’t Panic and Always Carry a Towel
jgharston

Re: JGH's TREECOPY and READ ONLY Directories

Post by jgharston »

TreeCopy should only set directories' metadata after recursing out of them, as otherwise the datestamps are the time of the last file saved into the destination directory rather than a copy of the source directory's metadata.

There are several recursive file copying programs as:
https://mdfs.net/Software/FileTools/

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.45
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2024
>_
Ukwebb

Post by Ukwebb »

jgharston wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:51 am TreeCopy should only set directories' metadata after recursing out of them, as otherwise the datestamps are the time of the last file saved into the destination directory rather than a copy of the source directory's metadata.

There are several recursive file copying programs as:
https://mdfs.net/Software/FileTools/
I don't think it's Treecopy having troubles, tbh. I've TREECOPY'd the drive to a second ADFS drive on the same unit and it worked fine. Although could it be because it's copying from ADFS to NET ?

So I'm thinking its probably a problem with the current version of piBridge. But it would be useful if some else could confirm :)
BBC Bs, Master 128s, Master Compact, and Electrons, and an A3000 with an ARM3 :)

Ukwebb

Post by Ukwebb »

I've just gone back to my original SD card which has Pi Bridge install from Sept 2022,
and that works as far as the folder copying - which suggests it is an issue with the Pi Bridge
( the only issue with this version is it doesnt cope with big files )
cr12925 wrote:
@cr12925: is this something you're aware of? ,
I've tried multiple completely fresh builds now, even with the 2.1-dev and 3.0-dev branches and still get the same thing

cr12925

Re: JGH's TREECOPY and READ ONLY Directories with PiBridge

Post by cr12925 »

Only just seen this - many apologies!

Can you send me debug output from the bridge (ideally v2.1-dev) with command line switches '-zz -piO -n40' and let me know which point in the debug it fails? I should be able to see from that. You can direct the debug to a file with the -d command line switch.

I have a feeling this may be a problem with the FSOps that deal with getting and putting large amounts of data from a file, to which I made a modification some time ago which might have fixed this...

Apologies for the delay,

C.
2 x Master 128, BBC B+IntegraB, Viglen floppy drives, A3000 ZIDEFS+Econet, RISC PC StrongArm Mk3+Econet ModulePidule, 3 x Econets, 5 x Pi Econet bridges, organist, former purveyor of BBS software...

Return to “general”