Untouched high score file request thread

subjects relating to classic games for the archimedes and risc pc
wmd

Untouched high score file request thread

Post by wmd »

As per title. Currently I need an untouched high score file for Fireball II. Anyone here help?
Last edited by wmd on Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
wmd

Re: Untouched high score file request thread: currently looking for Fireball II file

Post by wmd »

As a side note, Fireball 2 and Fireball 2 Extra both use the same high score file format, so if you have a fresh one for either please share!
sirbod

Re: Untouched high score file request thread: currently looking for Fireball II file

Post by sirbod »

Rockfall

As I've not found an untouched original, this is a best guess based on the copies I've seen.
Attachments
Rockfall_Scores.zip
(302 Bytes) Downloaded 43 times
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

Enter The Realm
Attachments
EnterTheRealm_HISCORES.zip
(Disc2) REALM2.Data.HISCORES
(339 Bytes) Downloaded 18 times
philpem

Re: Untouched high score file request thread

Post by philpem »

Does anyone have an untouched high score file (or image of a new and unused disk set) for Cataclysm by David Postlethwaite?

This would be on disk 2, I think it's the "acdata" file "ACLEVEL" file in the Run directory. First file in that directory, and if you shift-double-click you'll see the names of the high-scorers.

Incidentally if anyone wants to modify their copy to run from hard disk, it's not hard. The copy "protection" is mostly subterfuge and annoyance, the encryption is just XOR against a 1Kbyte key stored in a bad sector near the end of the disk. Decrypting the "protection" module is needed to get the key sector address and file load list. When all that mess is removed, you're left with a bunch of BASIC files which form the loader and front-end, and some minor modifications to the RunImage and CATACLYS programs is enough to get rid of the disk-swap requesters and make it run from the HDD.
Last edited by philpem on Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Questions about software preservation (BBC, RISC OS or other platforms)? Please feel free to ask.
Currently looking for RISC OS software to archive and preserve, please drop me a PM if you have any to offer.
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

philpem wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:06 am Does anyone have an untouched high score file (or image of a new and unused disk set) for Cataclysm
I believe you just delete RUN.ACDATA on disc 2

EDIT: Replace Disc2 RUN.ACLEVEL with the attached
Attachments
Cataclysm.zip
(187 Bytes) Downloaded 5 times
Last edited by sirbod on Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
philpem

Post by philpem »

sirbod wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:48 am
philpem wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:06 am Does anyone have an untouched high score file (or image of a new and unused disk set) for Cataclysm
I believe you just delete RUN.ACDATA on disc 2
There's no ACDATA file, but there is ACLEVEL - deleting it stops the game from starting up.
Questions about software preservation (BBC, RISC OS or other platforms)? Please feel free to ask.
Currently looking for RISC OS software to archive and preserve, please drop me a PM if you have any to offer.
sirbod

Post by sirbod »

Nosher

This isn't "untouched" as I don't have an original to confirm the initial high scores, but it will zero them. If I come across an untouched original, I'll update it.
Attachments
Nosher.zip
(183 Bytes) Downloaded 3 times

Return to “32-bit acorn software: classic games”