Any mouse-driven GUI's for the BBC B?

on-topic acorn-related discussions not covered by the other forums
tricky

Re: Any mouse-driven GUI's for the BBC B?

Post by tricky »

I have wondered a few times why no one connected Microsoft serial mice to 8 bit machines.
Too late, too much current or too much voltage I guess.
RobC

Post by RobC »

cmjones01 wrote:Back in the day, around 1987-1990, I did loads of work on my BBC using the AMX tools, especially Pagemaker. Yes, 32K of RAM wasn't enough, so the mouse utilities lived in their own 16K ROM, and the Pagemaker software was in two 16K ROM images loaded into sideways RAM banks. One neat thing about it was that it handled relatively high-resolution pages bigger than the screen could handle by paging to and from the floppy disc, which it did quickly enough not to be annoying.

It all worked pretty well for an 8-bit machine. I've still got the mouse and AMX ROMs here, and the machine for that matter!
I loved Pagemaker/Stop Press BITD. There was even a letter in the Micro User that explained how to use its hidden star commands to create your own windowing system and I wrote a very simple desktop GUI using it. I'd done a similar thing with SuperArt but preferred the Pagemaker version as it ran in high resolution (640 x 256) so looked better.

I think Acorn User also produced a WIMP/GUI system but I never got round to using it.
Commie_User wrote:Handyscan for the C64 saved in higher than screen res' too. And though I was playing with this stuff years after anything could have been useful, I never did find an image standard converter to run 'em in DTP packages.
I've still got a Beeb hand scanner and it's actually quite good fun to play with. For the time, the results are pretty good too - I think the relatively high resolution of the Beeb helps.
sweh

Post by sweh »

RobC wrote:I think Acorn User also produced a WIMP/GUI system but I never got round to using it.
MicroUser May 1990 started a multi-part series "Harness your WIMP power", but I think it used cursor keys and the COPY key was the button click. Other magazines may also have done their own.
Rgds
Stephen
RobC

Post by RobC »

sweh wrote:MicroUser May 1990 started a multi-part series "Harness your WIMP power", but I think it used cursor keys and the COPY key was the button click. Other magazines may also have done their own.
Pretty sure it would have been AU as I wasn't a regular TMU subscriber. Possibly early than 1990 too as I'd moved to Arcs by then.
ThomasHarte

Post by ThomasHarte »

Slightly late but Googling didn't seem to return anything: are the Stop Press 64* ROMs lost?

* i.e. the hardware solution that added a Master RAM Board and user port to an Electron, plus a version 3.1 of the OS (so, modified from that of the plain Master RAM Board) and a suitably modified ROM copy of Stop Press.
rharper

Post by rharper »

My Desktop ROM software can be operated with a mouse.
viewtopic.php?t=28475
similarly for earlier disc versions:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14533
Ray
Raycomp
tricky

Post by tricky »

Does that mouse ROM support my PS/2 adapter for the Beeb's analogue port?

I'll look myself ;)
rharper

Post by rharper »

tricky wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:18 pm Does that mouse ROM support my PS/2 adapter for the Beeb's analogue port?

I'll look myself ;)
It works fine with a 2 x 9pin to analogue adapter but I don't have a PS/2 adapter.
Ray
Raycomp
tricky

Post by tricky »

I made my own, but have replaced two of the wires with 10k resorted as recommended in the thread.viewtopic.php?p=348028#p348028

Return to “general”